Momplorer

Every generation of the Explorer has had plenty of off-road capability (for anyone interested, check the Explorer Forum link in my signature for plenty of examples). People assume that because they usually don't get used for that, then they must not BE usable for that. Horseshit. Meanwhile, detractors are whining about the new one being unibody and so forth, when the Cherokee/Grand Cherokee have been unibody since their introduction, and yet are hailed in the automotive press as some of the greatest off-road machines ever. The new Explorer isn't even out yet; nobody outside of Ford knows what it will do, and the aftermarket has yet to respond to correct any shortcomings the vehicle may have, for any given owner's intended use. But everyone is fully equipped to pass judgment on it...

You wouldn't think the Expedition is a capable off-roader, but there's a DVD series by a Tekademics called Mischief where they perform Jackass-like "stunts" in high end cars (If you've never seen any of these DVDs, I recommend it, but they do tend to lead to hooning after viewing).

In one of the segments they take an Expedition down a highly rated trail, following an H1 Hummer. The goal was to destroy the Expedition tryin to go all the places the H1 went. They also had a tug-of-war that ended in a tie.

They started out laughing at the Ford, and making fun of it. By the end, the Expy had gone everywhere the H1 had gone, and had only bent running boards, and a damaged lower bumper cover (from jumping it into a dirt mound) to show for it.

They were all amazed at it's capabilities and I heard "Built Ford Tough" being said by all.

I love that video.

Here's the trailer:My link

There's some footage of the Expy, but they also jump some Explorers and F-150's... And they aren't nice about it.

I know it's shamless auto-abuse with some nice cars, and parts are tough to watch, but......

Well, I went specifically with the rock crawling example because Richard mentioned suspension travel limitations.

Sorry Nick, that comment wasn't directed at you. More to the anti-Explorer crowd in general. Those that carry on about "true offroad capability" but only use rock crawling as the test of capability.