The rise and fall of the Panther

The Panther platform’s story begins more than 30 years ago. Developed initially as a low cost downsizing effort, the Panther is now one of the largest new car platforms made. New car buyers’ tastes have changed dramatically. Once upon a time, the Panther platform underpinned coupes, station wagons and sedans marketed by all three of Ford’s divisions. Remember the Lincoln Continental Town Car Coupe? How about the Mercury Colony Park wagon? One-by-one, Panthers dropped off the chart. Today, the platform – technically in its third generation but retaining much of its original architecture – underpins a trio of vehicles, two of which serve as division flagships.

Yet Ford doesn’t want you to buy one.

Just a few years ago, consumers across North America could walk into Ford, Lincoln and Mercury dealers and emerge with a shiny new Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis or Town Car of their own, new car smell, pride of ownership and all. Fast forward to the rapidly-approaching 2011 model year and a U.S. resident can only buy a limited-availability, special order-only Town Car. The Crown Victoria is for fleets and the Mercury brand will be gone entirely. Any non-fleet Panther, even the Town Car, has been a forbidden fruit in Canada for a couple of years. Ford has done nearly everything possible to prevent the public from taking home a Panther of their own.

Cash cow

Given its relatively basic design and its especially long production cycle, the Panther platform can’t be expensive for Ford to build. The automaker doesn’t detail the exact per-vehicle cost of its products, but odds are that Ford isn’t losing cash on Panthers.

No, the Panther platform’s various permutations are hardly fitting with Ford’s mantra of creating smaller, more efficient and advanced cars. Still, one thing they don’t do is struggle to find buyers because they offer a glimpse into a bygone era of Detroit boulevardiers, with their front bench seats, soft suspensions and awkward, space-robbing proportions. Modern they are not, but that doesn’t stop Ford from selling lots of them every year. In the United States during the first six months of 2010, Ford moved 18,439 Crown Victorias, 6,491 Town Cars and 15,702 Grand Marquises. Combined, the three Panthers outsold the rest of the Lincoln lineup and they even managed to outperform the Ford Mustang. Granted, all Crown Victorias went to less profitable fleet buyers, as did most Lincoln and Mercury Panthers. Clearly, however, there is a strong market for these big six-seat sedans somewhere – and that makes us wonder why Ford would choose to cease production in less than 18 months from now.

A solution?

For New York’s cabbies, there is no good replacement for the Crown Victoria. It’s cheap to run, durable and provides a good combination of room and space – especially compared to smaller sedans and SUVs. “The car is good the way it is,” cabbie Jana Stroe told USA Today. We don’t want the hybrid. Hybrids have so many problems. We take a lot of customers from the small cars.”

Ford thinks that its Transit Connect vans will make good replacements for Crown Vic taxis. On paper, they look pretty good. They’re roomy and have plenty of storage space and they don’t sip much gas. But despite their commercial positioning, they’re not as inherently rugged or simple and they cut a rather odd profile across the New York cityscape.

These complaints about the Panther’s untimely demise come from all sorts of fleet users – police officers, limousine drivers and even car rental agencies, which continue to see strong demand for the Grand Marquis.

Why Ford refuses to update the Panther platform for at least one more permutation is mind boggling. Add in stability control (a 2012 federal requirement), a six-speed automatic (already mated to the Panther’s 4.6-liter V8 in several other vehicles) and tweak the gearing for a few more mpgs and the Panther can soldier on for at least a few more years. Cabbies and police officers would appreciate a slightly less thirsty Crown Victoria and real profits would come from a mildly revised Town Car. Ford isn’t getting MSRP for fleet Town Cars, but even a hefty discount off of the $46,700 price it charges consumers is money in the bank.

Certain consumers still love the Grand Marquis. A major Florida Mercury dealer says that Grand Marquises don’t stay long on his lot before finding a home with a member of their traditional buyer base. With distribution centered on Ford and Lincoln showrooms in places like Florida, Arizona and the Midwest, Ford could easily offer the Grand Marquis as its own brand-within-a-brand minus the Mercury badge. Progress is a great thing, but sometimes automakers need to appreciate the devoted customers they have developed.

More

If only! They seem committed to the Taurus, though, as their fleet car. I too wish that the CV, CVPI, GM, Marauder, and TC had benefitted from updates at the very least to the engines and transmissions. And I believe it could be successful, moreso than it has been in recent years, with these and other updates for another 4-6 years. A CV/GM/TC would get 18/28 with the 3.7L V6 & 6 speed auto, and they would be more powerful than the 4.6L V8/4 speed auto (16/22) they would replace. Imagine the 5.0L in them!

• 4 weeks later...

Is it all over for the Grand Marquis now?...Since the Police Interceptor is going to be made till the end of 2011 can not see why the Grand Marquis can not be made also.

It is all over, with the death of Mercury...all you have now is the civilian fleet version of the CV, which Ford Fleet is marketing as a fleet vehicle, and the CVPI. Next year is it. Sad but true.

Thanks very much for an excellent summary and I whole-heartedly agree with u. My local L/M dealer in NW metro Chicago does not stock Lincoln Tc ans says he can only get them on special order. Discounts on line seem to be in @ the $7500 range when starting with a fully loaded car . PS The Continental Series option package really dresses up the unit IMHO!

I am not even sure whether there will be a 2011 TC or whether the 2010 is the end of the line. Any knowledge of which way this is going would be appreciated , as I may wait to pick up the final model yr..

I this does not work out I may look to get a tricked out F-150 Lariat to take advantage of the room and comfort it offers.

Thanks again !

Herb Lambrechts

Elk Grove Village IL

My parents had 3 of these at different times in the late 70's thru early 2000's and loved them

• 4 weeks later...

If only! They seem committed to the Taurus, though, as their fleet car. I too wish that the CV, CVPI, GM, Marauder, and TC had benefitted from updates at the very least to the engines and transmissions. And I believe it could be successful, moreso than it has been in recent years, with these and other updates for another 4-6 years. A CV/GM/TC would get 18/28 with the 3.7L V6 & 6 speed auto, and they would be more powerful than the 4.6L V8/4 speed auto (16/22) they would replace. Imagine the 5.0L in them!

I'm new here, but a 30 yr LE professional. Many of us in LE feel that Ford is shooting themselves in the foot, by ending Panther production. For most police departments 100% FWD or AWD cars won't cut it. Also, the inital Taurus Intercepter is suposed to be based on the Taurus SHO. That car may fair well with one driver, but going round the clock on patrol will definatley take its toll on the engine and rest of the drivetrain.

They should take a lesson from the Bow-Tie clan and offer both rear wheel and FWD police packaged cars. I predict that Chevy and to a lesser degree Chrysler will move into the top spots for LE business.

I'm new here, but a 30 yr LE professional. Many of us in LE feel that Ford is shooting themselves in the foot, by ending Panther production. For most police departments 100% FWD or AWD cars won't cut it. Also, the inital Taurus Intercepter is suposed to be based on the Taurus SHO. That car may fair well with one driver, but going round the clock on patrol will definatley take its toll on the engine and rest of the drivetrain.

They should take a lesson from the Bow-Tie clan and offer both rear wheel and FWD police packaged cars. I predict that Chevy and to a lesser degree Chrysler will move into the top spots for LE business.

The GM entry looks interesting. Their former LE entry was outstanding. Chrysler is going a major redesign in 2011 and little has been released. We just picked up two Escape Hybrids for admin work and a few more CV's. Probably the last we will ever buy.

I love a good war story too having started in LE over 27 years ago. I miss my '94 9C1 with the LT1 350. It was the best squad car I've driven. The quality of interior parts was lacking but for a big car it was very fast, it had lots of room, and it handled better the faster you went. The new Caprice will be a very good car. Still, the AWD Taurus and AWD Explorer might prove to be the best suited for modern police work. I'm in the Chicago area and AWD will run circles around FWD and RWD cars during the nasty weather. I look forward to driving them all, but my first impression is that the AWD Explorer is my favorite.

Duct tape held on the arm rests nicely.

The mid to late Nova were a hot car but a bit on the small side.

The 9C1 Malibus of the early '80s and '00-'11 Impalas were/are a bit cramped too. I never drove a Nova. Did yours have 350s or 396s?

Edited by T'Cal

The 9C1 Malibus of the early '80s and '00-'11 Impalas were/are a bit cramped too. I never drove a Nova. Did yours have 350s or 396s?

All police service Nova units came with various versions of the 350. While they weren't rated that high in HP, they did move quickly. But those vinyl bench seats didn't secure the driver in any way. We were just happy it had the optional AM radio. We only bought two of them in 75 or 76. Standard patrol vehicles were all Chrysler products.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/sn/novaessess/SSpolice.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I love a good war story too having started in LE over 27 years ago. I miss my '94 9C1 with the LT1 350. It was the best squad car I've driven. The quality of interior parts was lacking but for a big car it was very fast, it had lots of room, and it handled better the faster you went. The new Caprice will be a very good car. Still, the AWD Taurus and AWD Explorer might prove to be the best suited for modern police work. I'm in the Chicago area and AWD will run circles around FWD and RWD cars during the nasty weather. I look forward to driving them all, but my first impression is that the AWD Explorer is my favorite.

In NYC, FWD cars just don't have the longevity of a RWD platform. I believe its due to constant abuse by mulitple drivers, the RWD's just hold up better. We have no AWD's that I am aware of, on patrol that is. U/C cars we have some, but they are CAT 1 cars (take home) for the most part and have one driver and no patrol abuse.

The best FWD car we have had, IMO are the current Impala's. We first started using FWD in 1981. I was in Midtown South Pct (MTS) and we got 2 K-Cars, brandie new. My partner and I got one and the adjoining sector got the other. The other sector was out of service before the end of the tour. The following day, we were all back in our Plymouth's with 80 k on the odometers as both K's were out of service. They left for central repair, never to be seen again.

• 4 weeks later...

I drove the new Caprice PPV today! I was invited to the Autobahn Race Course in Joliet, IL, to drive and learn about the fullsize police cars from Chevy. They gave us an overview with stats, measurements, and comparisons to the CVPI and new Charger Police Pack then put us behind the wheel. There were two courses: a street smarts course and a performance dynamics course. The former included demonstrations of acceleration, braking, evasive lane changing, slalom and handling. The latter was on a true race course with many curves and a couple of long straight-aways.

The car is awesome! The 6.0L V8 is very powerful although it didn't light up the tires. The automatic was smooth yet firm-shifting and it held lower gears longer while in the performance mode. The brakes were phenominal providing tremendous stopping power that was straight and true with no chatter. The ride was smooth and very controllable with very little lean in the turns. The quality of materials and build was excellent. It was very roomy front and back. The driver's seat held me securely in place, was very comfortable, and it could be adjusted to fit people of any stature.

All was not perfect, though. I didn't care for the steering wheel adjustment. It's a lever located under the column that is not spring loaded; the preferred spot is on the left side of the column. In the CVPI, Impala, Tahoe and many other vehicles, pulling on the lever quickly moves the steering wheel up and out of the way for quick egress. The lower location requires extra steps and adds the risk of it hanging down to be bumped by knees while the Officer attempts to exit quickly. In the heat of the moment, trying to locate emergency controls, the shifter, the tilt wheel lever, etc. can cause costly delays. Still, I did like the addition of the telescoping wheel. I liked the trap speed feature and the digital speedometer, too.

The floor shifter in the 9C1 is vastly improved from the concepts but I still prefer it on the column like all of the other police models; clearly this was done to save money. Most municipalities set up their squads so that all controls are virtually in the same place for all vehicles. As Caprices enter a fleet that will be mixed with other brands or models with column shifters, this becomes a problem. The shifter has been moved forward toward the dash and closer to the driver and the window and mirror power controls are now located on the driver's armrest - all improvements over the concept but still not as good as a column shifter. GM showed a short video in which the police console (including controls for lights & sirens, radios, and laptop) was removed from a CVPI and then placed in a 9C1 with only a little modification; the same went for the lightbar and the prisoner shield. Many agencies will be happy to learn this as it will save them money. The 9C3 Detective model has a regular full console that includes a dual gate shifter, power window and mirror controls, cupholders, and storage. In addition, the back seats are cloth and there is limo-style legroom without the prisoner shield. The wheel covers are functional but ugly.