Plastic Oil Pan???

7Mary3

The lower pan is composite, yes. Ask a 7.3/6.0 owner who has had theirs rust out how much they wish theirs weren't steel.

Sounds like someone needed to design a better crankcase vent system to keep condensation down. I really don't mind the 'composite' (plastic) oil pan so much as the plastic drain petcock thing. Ford should have used a threaded insert and a conventional plug. I can see that plastic drain swelling up and sticking after a few years. A lot of manufacturers have given up on plastic radiator drain plugs. Completely useless! By the time you need to drain the radiator the plug will be stuck so bad it will break when you try to open it. I'll bet the aftermarket will have an oil pan for the 6.7L Powerstroke pretty quick.

Sounds like someone needed to design a better crankcase vent system to keep condensation down. I really don't mind the 'composite' (plastic) oil pan so much as the plastic drain petcock thing. Ford should have used a threaded insert and a conventional plug. I can see that plastic drain swelling up and sticking after a few years. A lot of manufacturers have given up on plastic radiator drain plugs. Completely useless! By the time you need to drain the radiator the plug will be stuck so bad it will break when you try to open it. I'll bet the aftermarket will have an oil pan for the 6.7L Powerstroke pretty quick.

What about a Fumoto valve. They thread into the pan plug spot and has a valve to shut off oil flow when draining. That seems to be a way less expensive route.

http://fumotousa.com/

Edited by Hydro

What about a Fumoto valve. They thread into the pan plug spot and has a valve to shut off oil flow when draining. That seems to be a way less expensive route.

http://fumotousa.com/

Doubt you would be able to use one. It doesn't look like the plastic oil pan has a threaded hole in it for the plug. It is a quarter turn yellow plastic thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...