6.2L Reliability

rottekatz

At 3,208 miles the engine developed problems. According to the service writer one of the lifters for the #6 cylinder shattered and damaged the cam. Been over two weeks, parts still on back order and I'm driving a Sentra.

October 1, 2010 - 22 days in shop, no estimated delivery date for parts (one lifter and RH camshaft), and still driving a Sentra.

Edited by rottekatz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 3,208 miles the engine developed problems. According to the service writer one of the lifters for the #6 cylinder shattered and damaged the cam. Been over two weeks, parts still on back order and I'm driving a Sentra.

Saw a new V8 Camaro with 2 pushrods shoved through the lifters. Mechanical things sometimes break.

Waiting for parts these days isn't just a Ford thing either. It sucks, but everyone is experiencing it.

Had 5 dealers call wanting a catalytic converter we had for a 2008 Malibu. We had got it from another dealer just before the supply dried up.

• 2 weeks later...

October 1, 2010 - 22 days in shop, no estimated delivery date for parts (one lifter and RH camshaft), and still driving a Sentra.

October 4, 2010 - Still driving a Nissan Sentra - Sure miss my F250.

How many of your payments is Ford going to make for you as a consequence of your truck being out of service so long?

That hasn't been decided. I think that customer service indicated that it may be possible today. I guess that if I had put down a small down payment that offer would be worth more.

Still no indication of when parts MAY be available.

Still driving a Sentra.

Starting on lemon claim today.

Anyone ever drive a Dodge?

Sorry to hear of your problem. First off, the loaner vehicle should be the equivalent of the vehicle being worked on. Second, if they can't find a camshaft, tell them you want a new engine or a new truck, period. I would get a lawyer at this point.

11 October 2010 - Still driving a Sentra. Last Thursday I was told at the dealer that the parts were shipped. I asked to be called when the parts arrive at dealer.

On Friday I was told by Ford customer service that there are no parts available.

32 days, no call on parts status fro dealer, still driving a Sentra.

Wow, 32 days waiting on a part. I'm thinking about buying my 1st Ford, an F350 with your 6.2L ? Shows me all the mfg's are the same, GMC once kept my truck for about 40 days waiting on a differential, but I was not under warranty. Seems that Ford should replace the complete engine without further delay. Good Luck, keep us posted.

Wow, 32 days waiting on a part. I'm thinking about buying my 1st Ford, an F350 with your 6.2L ? Shows me all the mfg's are the same, GMC once kept my truck for about 40 days waiting on a differential, but I was not under warranty. Seems that Ford should replace the complete engine without further delay. Good Luck, keep us posted.

I was thinking that they would go to next higher assembly (Head, Engine, Truck) until they could satisfy the need. They're not out a bunch for the loaner; I'm driving a Sentra and it is white. Is white a real color? All our work vehicles are white, so it reminds me of work.. Won't park the Sentra in my garage.

I'm a patient man, not a hot head at all. Personally, I would be camped out at the Dealer until my truck was fixed or they found me one just like it. I would call Regional offices and clear to Dearborn and this would be taken care of before I left the dealership.

I'm a patient man, not a hot head at all. Personally, I would be camped out at the Dealer until my truck was fixed or they found me one just like it. I would call Regional offices and clear to Dearborn and this would be taken care of before I left the dealership.

I am not known to be a patient person and the lady at Hertz thinks I'm flat rude; hence the Sentra. I started a dialog with Ford customer service at the end of the 2d week. The 800 number is in the warranty guide. Kind of like computer customer support; I spoke to the tier 1 person and he referred my problem up and the tier 2 called me back the next business day, left msgs on home and cel phone. She has checked on the parts and there are NONE available. She said that there are things that she can do, but that she could not get me another truck. Geeze, she tried to get me into a Ford loaner and that hasn't happened either. So, I filed a claim under the warreny book procedures and am waiting to hear from the BBB. At this point I'm just tired. During my period of running parts in the Army if I couldn't come up with a reasonable delivery date for a repair part, I would not have been able to stay long enough to retire. Then we were getting parts for equipment that was older than us and this truck is new, fresh. Parts packages should have been fielded simultaneously into the parts warehouse and dealer network to support the vehicle upon release. Either there are a lot of trucks out there with shattered lifters and damaged cam shafts or Ford made a decision to dedicate all parts to production and none to repair. Now I wonder, did Ford produce a piece of junk engine with a higher than anticipated failure rate or did Ford decide to commit all assets to production and screw customer service. I believe this is an either or as I don't see anotheer alternative unless it is somewhere around total incompetence.

33 days and no estimated date for delivery of parts and I'm still driving a Sentra.

Edited by rottekatz

Well I was informed by the BBB today that my truck does not qualify under the lemon law buy back program because it has only been to the shop one time and that it must be in the shop for the same problem at least two times in order to qualify. I guess that as long as it doesn't come out of the shop it will never qualify. I was told that because it has been in the shop for over 30 days it may qualify for another program unless the lack of parts is beyond Ford's control.. Under the alternative program I would not be made whole and Ford would not pay tax, license, and some other fees. So, I would end up short about $4,000 for driving the truck for 57 days.

Like Eeyore, I'm just soo tired.

34 days and still driving a Sentra

DAY 37

Ford Customer assist didn't call me yesterday, so I called her at around 1500hrs. She said that she was getting ready to give me a courtesy call to let me know that she had closed her file after the BBB filed the claim with Ford and that the dispute resolution lawyers would be contacting the BBB. I told her that the BBB informed me that I do not have a claim, that the BBB would represent and that they were going close the BBB file but that they would make a courtesy call to Ford on my behalf and let me know the results. BBB never called me back.

We left the conversation with the Ford customer assist rep saying she would find out what I need to do to reestablish contact with Ford. I'll try to call BBB Monday and see what's up.

37 days and still driving a Ford Sentra.

Dude, you are sooo glued. You might as well have bought a Ford.

:>(

Stop wasting your time with the BBB. They won't do anything. All they will do is say they have responded to the complaint or not responded - waste of time. Being in for repair 4 or more times is one reason for lemon law, but if it is out of service for more than 30 days, that is also another reason. There are conditions though such as "beyond the control of the manufacturer." Contact a lawyer.

B It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been made to conform a new motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties if, within 18 months from delivery to the buyer or 18,000 miles on the odometer of the vehicle, whichever occurs first, either

(1) the same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the nonconformity or

(2) the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of nonconformities by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 calendar days since delivery of the vehicle to the buyer. The 30-day limit shall be extended only if repairs cannot be performed due to conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agents. The buyer shall be required to directly notify the manufacturer pursuant to paragraph (1) only if the manufacturer has clearly and conspicuously disclosed to the buyer, with the warranty or the owner's manual, the provisions of this section and that of subdivision (d) of Section 1793.2, including the requirement that the buyer must notify the manufacturer directly pursuant to paragraph (1). This presumption shall be a reputable presumption affecting the burden of proof, and it may be asserted by the buyer in any civil action, including an action in small claims court, or other formal or informal proceeding.

I called Ford customer care today, (it would be nice if they would call me for a change) and they told me that the parts are at the dealer and the truck should be ready this Friday. I think I'm happy. At this point I think I would be happier if I could just get my money back and buy a different truck. What would have happened if the thing had broke down in Denver instead of close to home?

Oh, 40 days and still driving a Sentra.

Anxiously waiting to see if the dealer service is going to call today.

43 days and still driving that Ford Sentra.

wow, please stay in touch with the happenings. Lets just hope the tech knows how to fix it properly now he has parts. Any word on your payments? did they (ford) eat last month or offered to delay the payment?

wow, please stay in touch with the happenings. Lets just hope the tech knows how to fix it properly now he has parts. Any word on your payments? did they (ford) eat last month or offered to delay the payment?

Did not go through Ford to finance. Dealer found a lower rate elsewhere.

The only thing that Ford has offered, is to get me into a Ford product instead of this Sentra as a courtesy car.

Well, you can see how that's working, unless Nissan Sentras are Ford products.

What meaning do you think Ford is conveying to me when Ford pays Hertz to provide me with a Sentra. Kinda says that when Ford needs a car they go Nissan? So far we are very happy with wife's 2008 Nissan Altima.

SGM, USA, (Ret)

43 days and still driving a Ford Sentra

Edited by rottekatz

Glad to hear you have it back! :happy feet:

Enjoy it...hopefully Ford will take care of you for your wait!

Sent letter to Ford today with suggestions for good will which Ford could offer to lessen the impact of the situation. Will let you know if they come through. I have had Fords in my garage for over 25 years and I purchased each of them new. I think that Ford should show some reciprocation.

Hows the truck running now? I hope they at least give you an extended warranty or free maintenence for 3yrs.

One of those weird things. Believing myself to be a reasonable person, I asked Ford for:

an extended warranty

and

free maintenance for 3yrs

and

Make car payments for 45 days

I guess Ford owners think alike.

Truck is running good, so far.

I'd hate to end up with a major lengthy warranty repair like you did, but did Ford honor the warranty as required ?

I thought about this since yesterday and my answer is "no".

The repairs were made, but I think 6 weeks and 4 days is an unreasonable amount of time. It only took 6 weeks and 6 days to get delivery of the truck. I believe that it is implied that warranty repairs would be made in a reasonable amount of time.

Edited by rottekatz