6.2L Reliability

rottekatz

I thought about this since yesterday and my answer is "no".

The repairs were made, but I think 6 weeks and 4 days is an unreasonable amount of time. It only took 6 weeks and 6 days to get delivery of the truck. I believe that it is implied that warranty repairs would be made in a reasonable amount of time.

I agree. I'm considering the 6.2 in a F350 SRW. Hopefully, your issue is not an indication of a more widespread 6.2 issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any updates? did you get a reply from ford?

Jan 9, 2011 - Truck felt like it had a miss yesterday, thought I heard the familiar tapping noise, and the check engine light came on on the way home. Took it to the dealer today and the service writer said they pu;;ed the codes and that there is a miss on the #3 cylinder. He said that it is the same as last time on the other side. Called FOMCO customer service and asked them to buy back the truck. I'm confident that this truck will break down again.

Let's see if they can beat their record and get it fixed in less than 46 days this time.

Ford is paying for me to drive a Toyota this time.

Wife was looking to buy an Escape Hybrid. She really loves her new 2011 VW Jetta TDI. 46 mpg on 270 mile trip to beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is unbelievable luck. I have owned Fords for over 25 years and never had those types of issues. The bad part is I am in the process of ordering a truck similar to yours with the 6.2L. Sincerely hoping you are the exception and not the rule. Sorry for your troubles.

There is a TSB out, 10 25 07. Hopefully that fixes it. My 1st Ford was a 56, given to me by my brother. I've been buying new Ford products since 1985, when I bought a new Mercury Marquis getting ready for assignment to Germany. Should know this week if Ford is going to buy it back this time. If they do, I'll probably order another one with the Sirius. My wife's new VW TDI, could have been a Ford, has Sirius and that Sat radio is cool.

This is the first posting I have read of someone having this much trouble with this motor. Hope that you can get out of this truck and get into another, like you said in an ealier post your trust in it is no longer there, and a person should'nt have to worry about a brand new truck being reliable. I bought mine Aug of last year. Have just about 24K Kms on it, and have only had a number 2 oxygen sensor go. I know of 2 others that have SD's with the 6.2 and they have no issues with theirs either.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Ford has approved the buy back. I was at the dealer to order a replacement truck and he seemed a little distracted (uninterested) so I left. On the way home I asked my wife if she thought that I was stupid for ordering another Ford. Then I thought, "If you really have to ask?" So, I spent a week looking at the other trucks on the market (GMC and Ram) and ended up ordering a new Ram. If the GMC dealer hadn't lied to me, it could just as well have been a GMC Sierra.

Be the first time that I haven't owned a FOMOCO product since 1985. Will definitely consider Fords in the future. None of my other Fords have spent more than a day in the shop for service or repair and none have died in the road.

SGM (Ret) Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Ford has approved the buy back. I was at the dealer to order a replacement truck and he seemed a little distracted (uninterested) so I left. On the way home I asked my wife if she thought that I was stupid for ordering another Ford. Then I thought, "If you really have to ask?" So, I spent a week looking at the other trucks on the market (GMC and Ram) and ended up ordering a new Ram. If the GMC dealer hadn't lied to me, it could just as well have been a GMC Sierra.

Be the first time that I haven't owned a FOMOCO product since 1985. Will definitely consider Fords in the future. None of my other Fords have spent more than a day in the shop for service or repair and none have died in the road.

SGM (Ret) Rich

I have been following this thread to see final outcome. Was glad to see Ford stepped up to the plate. Didn't do them any good though I guess because of your treatment by the dealer. Was the "dealer" your salesman, or a principal in the dealership.?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today the loan balance is zero. Took them over two weeks from the day the day the truck was turned in to pay off the loan. Payment was 40 days late. Probably dropped my credit score 100 points. You just have to love Ford customer service.

On Jan 8, 2011, I called Ford and requested that they buy back the POS. I returned everything they sent within a couple days. THEY GOT IT DONE. They are not timely and they never seem to actually know what is going on.

When I turned my truck into the dealer he also had a F250 diesel with over 80,000 miles. He said the problem developed while it was under warranty and the guy had a lemon law lawyer.

Edited by rottekatz

Sorry to hear of your problem. First off, the loaner vehicle should be the equivalent of the vehicle being worked on. Second, if they can't find a camshaft, tell them you want a new engine or a new truck, period. I would get a lawyer at this point.

Looking back, I should have taken this advice.

I understand being upset, but why did you buy the most INFERIOR of the three HD trucks on the market (assuming you bought a HD Ram) :confused: I would have went to a different dealer whether GM or Ford.

The GM 1500 that would pull my trailer would have the 6.2L GM engine. The dealer told me, here comes the lie, that the 6.2 is new andt none of the dealers have taken delivery of a 1500 with the 6.2L engine and that I need a Denali. Well I don't want a Denali and I'm not testing a first year production for GM. Ford did not express confidence in their 6.2L engine and I'm not going to test their 1st year production in an F150 ecoboost. That leaves the old 5.7L Hemi. Rice burners aren't real trucks.

We use all the big 3 at work, 4wd and lots of off road miles in the desert. For 4wd, I would tie Ford and Ram and have Chevy as a close runner up.

Beware the new Ford diesel burns about a gallon of urea every 1000 miles and if it geets too low the truck goes into limp mode.

Beware the new Ford diesel burns about a gallon of urea every 1000 miles and if it geets too low the truck goes into limp mode.

It's not just the Ford's...the Chevy's do it too. And from what I've been hearing from guys I know, the Chevy's are using a bunch more urea than Ford's.

• 1 month later...

It's not just the Ford's...the Chevy's do it too. And from what I've been hearing from guys I know, the Chevy's are using a bunch more urea than Ford's.

I think that all the diesels will be using DEF next year. I would recommend doing some research before you buy one of them and check on DEF going bad quickly when air temp is over 100 degrees.

For bought my truck back 1FT7X2A68BEA71347.

• 2 months later...

Today the loan balance is zero. Took them over two weeks from the day the day the truck was turned in to pay off the loan. Payment was 40 days late. Probably dropped my credit score 100 points. You just have to love Ford customer service.

On Jan 8, 2011, I called Ford and requested that they buy back the POS. I returned everything they sent within a couple days. THEY GOT IT DONE. They are not timely and they never seem to actually know what is going on.

When I turned my truck into the dealer he also had a F250 diesel with over 80,000 miles. He said the problem developed while it was under warranty and the guy had a lemon law lawyer.

I had not been on the board for a while... I just read through all the threads on this post - so sorry to hear it! You & us were waiting to take delivery last year at the same time (anxiously awaiting :)) If I remember right, yours was a gas engine, wasn't it? Your dealer was able to tell you at that time exactly where your truck was on its journey (my dealer was worthless)... man, I hate it for you!

Ours is a good one (the truck, NOT the dealer) - did you ever see the pictures i had posted hauling hay?

I understand the new mfg (although not a dodge-lol); we bought a brand new 86 chevy c-10 that was a POS - we have NEVER owned a chevy again... Best of luck to you!