Mustang LX in the works?

ford4v429

I'll be a weaner and correct you too...390 2v was 68 only. :tease: :hysterical: (only busting your balls)

I remember the X code 68 Cougars, and my dad had a 68 390 2V LTD. I knew ther were 390 2V in 67 Galaxies http://www.galaxieclub.com/1967Specs.html didn't know there was a 390 2V PI.

No, not in 67 Cougars/Mustangs.

Edited by timmm55

Keep dreaming, it is not 1991. Back then, when the last Fox Mustangs were "cheap", they didn't sell as well as the SN95 and current era. Only in minds of hot rodders, who ned up buying used anyway, should there be strippo V8 model. Ford is a business, not an 'arts and entertainment company'.

And "LX GT" is an oxymoron. :ohsnap:

There were also the SN95 GTS models. 5.0L, 5 speed and not much else. Cloth interior, no spoiler, no fog lights, V6 seats and manual windows and locks. I'd love to find one some day.

My favorite Fox body of all time are the stipper notchbacks. Price be damned.

I'd totally take a hard, serious look at a new $26K Mustang "GTS" that has the V6 base interior, basic wheels, no spoiler, no fog lights, and no goodies like SYNC and whatnot (yeah they are nice but I don't NEED them). The only options I'd want would be the Brembos and either the 3.55 or 3.73 gears in the back. Hell, to keep costs and inventory down, only offer them in like 4 colors. Black, White, Red and Silver sound ok? Yeah me too.

Edited by Sixt9coug

There were also the SN95 GTS models. 5.0L, 5 speed and not much else. Cloth interior, no spoiler, no fog lights, V6 seats and manual windows and locks. I'd love to find one some day.

My favorite Fox body of all time are the stipper notchbacks. Price be damned.

I'd totally take a hard, serious look at a new $26K Mustang "GTS" that has the V6 base interior, basic wheels, no spoiler, no fog lights, and no goodies like SYNC and whatnot (yeah they are nice but I don't NEED them). The only options I'd want would be the Brembos and either the 3.55 or 3.73 gears in the back. Hell, to keep costs and inventory down, only offer them in like 4 colors. Black, White, Red and Silver sound ok? Yeah me too.

The reason the GTS was a waste of time was because it barely cost any less than the GT and it barely saved any weight either. The same would likely hold true to a GTS or LX today. All it would do is leave you with a vehicle with worse resale value.

The reason the GTS was a waste of time was because it barely cost any less than the GT and it barely saved any weight either. The same would likely hold true to a GTS or LX today. All it would do is leave you with a vehicle with worse resale value.

Exactly. If people want to build a stripped down racer, they can buy a "Body In White" and build it themselves. Other than that, if you want a cheap Mustang, buy a used GT or a new V6. :)

It's not 1991, and Ford can't make a profit on stripped bare cars that certain people expect to pay used car prices.

Also, the fanatics who only like the Fox 'stangs, will never, ever buy any new Mustangs. They're like the old timers who only buy muscle cars built before 1972.

It's not 1991, and Ford can't make a profit on stripped bare cars that certain people expect to pay used car prices.

I dont think 25k for a very basic GT isused car territory...but I'm cheep. I think Ford could still make a nice profit at 25, just not a killing.

Also, the fanatics who only like the Fox 'stangs, will never, ever buy any new Mustangs. They're like the old timers who only buy muscle cars built before 1972.

I was one of the old timers I guess...when the compression went away in '71~72 it pretty much killed the musclecar to me...but then the 05 came out, and lo and behold we ended up with three of them. nice cars, lot of bang for the buck, had they been 30k, we wouldnt have even one though...everyone has their limits I guess...glad at I bought at the right time.

Ford announced last week the 2012 GT was going to be $500.00 cheaper, and under $30.000. 412 HP for under 30K is a great deal! . But the other model (Premium, convertibles) went up.

saw that- was glad to see it, and I agree 30k for 400+ hp is pretty much still a lot of bang for the buck - but still think (maybe a 'lowly' 300 hp) a basic V8 Mustang should still be produced profitably for closer to 25k...its simply not that much 'more' than any other car they put out in the mid-20 range. What if it had 500 hp for 40k, or 1 million hp for 50k- theyd be a lot of bang for the buck too, but volumes would fall the the point of the FordGT and it would fade away as fast...the GT(40) was a steal at 140k for what it offered over the competition, I hated to see it phased out...no matter how great the car, if enough folks cant both justify and afford it, its not going to take over the market.

I hope they sell a ton of them, but in this economy, it looks like they are going after max unit profit over volume that isnt there- and thats understandable...but historically the Mustang has always been pretty affordable, and anyone with a decent job could probably swing the payments if it called out to them enough... I just worry that if volumes dont pick up, the economy wont either...its kinda a bootstrap situation, and IMO as long as they make a profit, the more units the better in the long term- unless they outsource offshore more, if they do that, theyre killing their own market anyways... I just hope the mustang dont get priced out of its market- to me its there...even if they fixed that rearend, afraid I couldnt give 30k for one no matter how much I liked it... hopefully I'm in the minority, and I wish FoMoCo nothing but the best of luck with the Mustang- its an American Icon, and I hope when my kids grow up someday they'll like the mustang as much as I liked the 05 AND be able to afford a Mustang or three.

Edited by ford4v429

saw that- was glad to see it, and I agree 30k for 400+ hp is pretty much still a lot of bang for the buck - but still think (maybe a 'lowly' 300 hp) a basic V8 Mustang should still be produced profitably for closer to 25k...its simply not that much 'more' than any other car they put out in the mid-20 range. What if it had 500 hp for 40k, or 1 million hp for 50k- theyd be a lot of bang for the buck too, but volumes would fall the the point of the FordGT and it would fade away as fast...the GT(40) was a steal at 140k for what it offered over the competition, I hated to see it phased out...no matter how great the car, if enough folks cant both justify and afford it, its not going to take over the market.

I hope they sell a ton of them, but in this economy, it looks like they are going after max unit profit over volume that isnt there- and thats understandable...but historically the Mustang has always been pretty affordable, and anyone with a decent job could probably swing the payments if it called out to them enough... I just worry that if volumes dont pick up, the economy wont either...its kinda a bootstrap situation, and IMO as long as they make a profit, the more units the better in the long term- unless they outsource offshore more, if they do that, theyre killing their own market anyways... I just hope the mustang dont get priced out of its market- to me its there...even if they fixed that rearend, afraid I couldnt give 30k for one no matter how much I liked it... hopefully I'm in the minority, and I wish FoMoCo nothing but the best of luck with the Mustang- its an American Icon, and I hope when my kids grow up someday they'll like the mustang as much as I liked the 05 AND be able to afford a Mustang or three.

Compare the price of a 300 hp stang today and a 300 hp stang in 2005. All V8s are not created equal.

I own an SN95 but I would totally buy a 2011 5.0 if I was looking for a new car right now.

As far as worse resale, I'd pay a slight premium for a GTS versus the standard GT that I have right now. I've seen so few SN95s with crank windows that the rarity factor would make me want one more. I don't believe I was asking for used car prices either. 26K was just a toss out there. 28K? fine with me. The price seems fair. Thing of it as a base V6 with the GT drivetrain if that makes sense.

I have nothing against offering people high optioned cars. More power to Ford for offering that. There is a small group of people that don't necessarily require all of the bells and whistles when ordering their car. Then again I hate the rapid spec packages too. I was looking at a SHO when they first came out and I hated that for some options that I wanted I HAD to get a sunroof and a heated steering wheel with it. I can't stand sunroofs and a heated wheel is useless here in CA. But if you want X you MUST order Y. BS.

I might be in the minority, but If I bought a new Mustang GT, the ONLY options I would want are gears, and the Brembos. I don't need leather, Mach1000, SYNC, ambient lighting and many more of the niceties that come with the car. Ok, I KNOW I'm in the minority with that but if Ford can take the time and resources to make the Bullitt, why not something like an LX? Nevermind that the LX would just use off the shelf parts and wouldnt require unique pieces developed for it.

Oh, and as for the body in white argument... Yeah sure that will work because I have a total desire to build a car from scratch with no warranty.

There were also a handful of 96 models with the 4.6L built that way. I don't know if they were sold as a GTS but they did exist. A friend at work had one that I drove once. Too bad his wife didn't want him to keep it because it would have to have been pretty rare. Not that a stripper 96 GT would be worth a crap today but just having it to prove that it did exist would be cool.

The reason an LX 5.0 worked in the late '80s is because the base '89 - '93 GT was loaded down with a few hundred pounds of mandatory body cladding and hatch and a premium interior. As ice-capades pointed out on page 1, that's not the case today.

Not all LX's were stripper models though. I'm talking about a stipper LX notch and not a loaded LX hatch which aside from the body kit, could be optioned up like a GT.

Not all LX's were stripper models though. I'm talking about a stipper LX notch and not a loaded LX hatch which aside from the body kit, could be optioned up like a GT.

In Canada people only bought an LX over a GT to get away from the insurance hit, because once it was a GT the insurance skyrocketted

But the insurance companies got wise anyways and just screwed ALL Mustang owners...

In Canada people only bought an LX over a GT to get away from the insurance hit, because once it was a GT the insurance skyrocketted

But the insurance companies got wise anyways and just screwed ALL Mustang owners...

I bought a 90 5.0 LX convertible because I thought the GT was overwrought.

• 1 month later...