Junkyard performance has a bright future for Ford fans

How many of you have shopped late model junkyard engines? A friend of mine is considering an engine swap for his nice shape, but tired, 1998 Mustang GT. We looked at 4.6L 3Vs out of wrecked Mustangs and found that the Explorer's 4.6L 3V is about half the price at a junkyard. This got me thinking, junkyard performance is going to be awesome for Ford fans in the near future. Ford sells hundreds of thousands of F150s a year, most of which are V8 powered. The 2011 F150 has an all aluminum DOHC 5.0L that is certainly going to be the most common engine. In 3 years or so, you'll be able to get one of these out of a junk yard for about the same price as a set of aftermarket heads for a 4.6L. They should drop right into any 4.6L application as well. I can see these being a very popular swap in 1996+ Mustangs.

How many of you have shopped late model junkyard engines? A friend of mine is considering an engine swap for his nice shape, but tired, 1998 Mustang GT. We looked at 4.6L 3Vs out of wrecked Mustangs and found that the Explorer's 4.6L 3V is about half the price at a junkyard. This got me thinking, junkyard performance is going to be awesome for Ford fans in the near future. Ford sells hundreds of thousands of F150s a year, most of which are V8 powered. The 2011 F150 has an all aluminum DOHC 5.0L that is certainly going to be the most common engine. In 3 years or so, you'll be able to get one of these out of a junk yard for about the same price as a set of aftermarket heads for a 4.6L. They should drop right into any 4.6L application as well. I can see these being a very popular swap in 1996+ Mustangs.

Do not forget anything Ford prior to 96 as well. 4.6s are ending up under the hoods of 60's Fords. :happy feet:

For my next project I am considering building a 69 Boss 429 clone powered by the new 5.0L TiVCT and M82 6-speed. My plan is to start with either a rust free original 69 fastback or a Dynacorn reproduction body. I plan to do something similar to what Stacy David is doing with the 67 Cougar Interceptor on the Gearz TV show. Take a classic body and update the chassis using more modern stuff like rack & pinion steering, Mustang II style front and coil-over rear suspension. My personal incentive is to replace the Black Jade 69 Boss 429 that I was stupid enough to sell years ago with something that looks just like it but drives much better and that I can actually afford. Now if I could just find a set of those custom cast aluminum Coyote cam covers they made for that Raybestos 32 roadster pickup on Hod Rod TV. Better yet, maybe someone will come up with a set that look like Boss 429 valve covers...

I might be wrong but isn't the Mustang 3V 4.6 aluminum while the Explorer one is cast iron? I know it's not a HUGE deal, but the lighter weight would be nice.

I for one welcome the presence of Ecoboost 3.5s showing up in the yards.

I might be wrong but isn't the Mustang 3V 4.6 aluminum while the Explorer one is cast iron? I know it's not a HUGE deal, but the lighter weight would be nice.

I for one welcome the presence of Ecoboost 3.5s showing up in the yards.

Yes, the Mustang engine is Al and the Explorer engine is iron.

Yes, the Mustang engine is Al and the Explorer engine is iron.

Truck engine also uses a different intake, throttle body, exhaust manifolds and maybe even different camshaft profile. I would guess the oil pan could be different as well. Both use the same head castings with their stupid two-piece spark plugs though.

Sure about that?

The 2V 4.6 in the Explorers from '02-'05 were all aluminum.

I'm not sure about the '06 and up 3V.

I was thinking that as well, but the other guys seemed so sure I didn't say anything. I know for sure though that all of the F150/superduty 5.4 and 6.8s are iron and use a forged crank I believe, all topped with aluminum heads with a bad spark plug design.. :stirpot:

all topped with aluminum heads with a bad spark plug design.. :stirpot:

Not to beat a dead horse, but...

They changed the plug design again in the '08 model year iirc. It has a 9/16" hex like the two piece plugs, but the socket I bought specifically for the two piece plug is not deep enough for the new design. Now I need yet another specialty spark plug tool!

You guys wouldn't believe how many different tools I have for Ford spark plugs alone. Two (soon to be three I guess) sockets, helicoil installer kit, porceline extracters, porceline pusher, and a cordless 3/8 impact (I know it has more uses than spark plugs but it's the only thing that can get those two piece plugs out without breaking them and I wouldn't have shelled out the $350 for it had it not).

Ok, rant over. I feel better now.

what about the 3v v10, I still love that video of the test mule with them beating it up a the track even though i think it was a 2v well anyway a 3v v10 with turbo in my 1990 notch would be awesome turning about 8 grand wow im getting goosebumps! LOL

what about the 3v v10, I still love that video of the test mule with them beating it up a the track even though i think it was a 2v well anyway a 3v v10 with turbo in my 1990 notch would be awesome turning about 8 grand wow im getting goosebumps! LOL

A Ford 6.8 V10 turning about 8 grand in front of you?

That's not goose bumps you're feeling, it's your ass puckering in and out

wondering why the big bang hasn't happen and taken half of you with it....

A Ford 6.8 V10 turning about 8 grand in front of you?

That's not goose bumps you're feeling, it's your ass puckering in and out

wondering why the big bang hasn't happen and taken half of you with it....

Well I have seen 4.6's turning 9500 but that was all motor maybe the turbo part was a little much but hey if money was no object anyway i can see potential with it just something different.....