Ford produces last Mercury, a Grand Marquis

FoMoCo today produced the last Mercury – a Grand Marquis, which rolled off the production line at 8 a.m. in the morning today at the company’s assembly plant in St. Thomas, Ontario. The sedan will be shipped out as part of a fleet order, according to Ford spokeswoman Marcey Evans said.

Production of the last Mercury was delayed due to snowstorms that pushed back parts shipments to the plant.

The plant will continue to produce the Ford Crown Victoria for taxi and police fleets until it closes in September 2011.

The Mercury Grand Marquis had been produced for 25 years at the plant. FoMoCo sold more than 21 million Mercury cars and light trucks in the United States since the brand made its debut with the 1938 model year.

More

My wish was a Maurader with the new 5.0 L and 6 Speed Manual and a 3.55 Traction Lok.

R.IP. Mercury 1939-2011

Just does not seem right that the last Mercury is a Rental Car. Should have gone to the Henry Ford Museum....Just like the last Pontiacs were G6 Rentals. Terrible!

My wish was a Maurader with the new 5.0 L and 6 Speed Manual and a 3.55 Traction Lok.

R.IP. Mercury 1939-2011

Just does not seem right that the last Mercury is a Rental Car. Should have gone to the Henry Ford Museum....Just like the last Pontiacs were G6 Rentals. Terrible!

The last (old) Taurus went to Chick-Fil-A.

Edited by akirby

finally...cant believe it took decades of neglect to kill that ugly old car that folks still wanted because of its huge 6 passenger seating, safety, durability, durability and durability.

I had a 2011 grand marquis for the past month, went new years eve and picked up a 2000 with 138000 miles on its 11 year old body, that old POS looks mint, is so smooth, quiet, driving cannot tell it apart from the 2011...old cars aint supposed to wear this well, must have been a design flaw...2500 bucks for a mint, original paint, runs/drives like a new one...my kids like it better- the leather used in 2000 was a much softer grade- interior looks new/identical to its 11 yr newer cousin, but the seats are much nicer. got it for a winter car, but the big old thing looks and drives like it might still be a decent car in another 10 yrs.

glad they quit making these, I would much rather have another $20,000 Windstar that aged much more appropriately, with its superior head gasket/transmission/steering/ and rust issues...yep I'm glad they killed these panthers, they really sucked. should just be thankful they didnt put that apparently durable ecoboost 3.5 in there- woulda been terrible, woulda got way too good of mileage, had real off idle torque like a old bigblock and still lasted forever...just kidding, who woulda ever bought a car like that.

sorry for the sarcasm, but I just think it will be such a sad day when the last true American BOF-RWD-V8 sedan disappears... I get the impression folks pulling the strings see it as no different than the last carbureted or vent windowed or steel bumpered vehicle...its the end of a long story with a lot of ups and downs- but the heavy, big Fords always had the best rides, and even if you wrecked one bad, you could often still drive it to the body shop...I think first time a new interceptor PITs a car, it will need far more than a fender.

sayonara Mercury. we'll just enjoy our old one.

gm2000.jpg

Edited by ford4v429

sorry for the sarcasm, but I just think it will be such a sad day when the last true American BOF-RWD-V8 sedan disappears...

The sad day happened a decade ago when Ford decided they were not going to redesign it again. Since then, they've simply been delaying the inevitable.

Mercury rolls into history with build of final Grand Marquis

The last Mercury--a Grand Marquis--rolled off the production line Tuesday at Ford Motor Co.'s assembly plant in St. Thomas, Ontario, marking the official end of another Detroit brand.

The sedan will be shipped as part of a fleet order, Ford spokeswoman Marcey Evans said. Ford is eliminating Mercury to focus on two core brands, Ford and Lincoln.

Snowstorms delayed parts shipments to the plant, pushing production of the final Grand Marquis into the new year. It came off the line at around 8 a.m.

The Grand Marquis had been produced for 25 years at St. Thomas.

The plant will continue to build the Ford Crown Victoria for taxi and police fleets until the plant's slated closure in September.

Ford has sold more than 21 million Mercury cars and light trucks in the United States since the brand debuted with the 1938 model year.

Mercury's demise ends another entry in Detroit automakers' efforts to market multiple brands to appeal to every purse and purpose. Mercury was sold as a step between Ford and Lincoln.

When Mercury debuted, GM had established a ladder of consumption, beginning with Chevrolet and followed by Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick and Cadillac.

Chrysler marketed Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler.

Ford determined it wasn't worth the money to substantially differentiate Ford from Mercury, said Bob Casey, curator of transportation at The Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, Mich.

Foreign competition and limited marketing have forced Detroit automakers to shrink their brand and model lineups.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110104/CARNEWS/110109982#ixzz1AOuse2NV

Edited by Armada Master

Ford Motor Company officially shut down its Mercury division yesterday when the automakers last vehicle, a Grand Marquis sedan, rolled off of the assembly line in St. Thomas, Ontario.

Ford had intended to close up shop prior to the end of 2010, but the snow storm that wreaked havoc in Ontario last month delayed a shipment of necessary parts. The automaker says that the last Mercury ever built wont be going to its private collection; instead, the six-seat, V8-powered body-on-frame-style sedan is headed to a fleet buyer. According to Autoweek, the last Grand Marquis rolled off the line at about 8:00 a.m. yesterday.

Fittingly, the Grand Marquis was Mercurys oldest design, its most-improved seller during its last full year of production and the only Mercury product to not have a consumer-market Ford cousin. Mercury sold 28,543 Grand Marquis sedans in 2010, a 15 percent increase over the year before and just slightly behind the 28,912 Milans and 29,912 Mariners. Ford doesnt break out fleet sales, but its safe to say that a large percent of Grand Marquis models ended up in rental fleets.

Ironically, Ford killed Mercury in an effort to focus its efforts on its Lincoln division, but Mercury handily outsold the luxury division despite Fords announcement several months ago that it would close the brand. Mercury was started 71 years ago to fill the gap between Ford and Lincoln, but the division never had more than a handful of wholly unique products. Under CEO Alan Mullaly, Ford decided to narrow its focus to just two divisions by selling off or closing most of its brands. Mercury now joins Pontiac, Hummer and Saturn in the annals of automotive history.

Ford will keep its St. Thomas plant located just outside of Windsor, Ontario operational through September of this year to build Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptors and taxis.

More: http://www.leftlanenews.com/curtain-falls-on-mercury-as-last-grand-marquis-leaves-factory.html

Edited by Armada Master

Anyone else notice they apparently had every 2011 GMQ sold BEFORE or at the very least IMMEDIATELY after the last one rolled off the assembly line a few days ago?

Just sayin'..

25yuswsw28295.gif

Ford bought any unsold Mercurys so they can close the books on Mercury in 2010 and not have any carryover to 2011. Those cars will be sold by the dealership as used vehicles.

I think first time a new interceptor PITs a car, it will need far more than a fender.

That is used far less than tv would have you believe. Use (in NJ) is reserved for only serious offenses and rises A case was decided as few years back that addressed trhe issue.

On April 30, 2007, the U.S. Supreme Court issued its decision in Scott v. Harris. The Scott

Court held that law enforcement officers may use ramming techniques to stop a fleeing

motorist who poses an “actual and imminent threat to the lives” of people on or near the

roadways.

The PIT rises to the level of Deadly Force and requires the same guidelines for use. In any case, aftermarket bumper gurad/push bar combinations can be installed to reduce or eliminate damage.

Edited by rscalzo

Ford bought any unsold Mercurys so they can close the books on Mercury in 2010 and not have any carryover to 2011. Those cars will be sold by the dealership as used vehicles.

Sweet - you know how resale drops like a stone - might some some low/no mile Grand Marquis out there.

Oh look - somebody wants to buy a used Panther at a HUGE discount. The defense rests your honor.

What's the difference between my 94 Grand Marquis, or my current 2002 Grand Marquis, and a 2011? It's was Ford's choice to give buyers no reason to purchase a new one that is actually worse than one that is 10 years old.

Granted, a 2011 Grand Marquis, while not what it used to be, is still far better than all the rebadged Mazda's and Ford of Europe products they sell as domestic Fords.

What's the difference between my 94 Grand Marquis, or my current 2002 Grand Marquis, and a 2011? It's was Ford's choice to give buyers no reason to purchase a new one that is actually worse than one that is 10 years old.

Granted, a 2011 Grand Marquis, while not what it used to be, is still far better than all the rebadged Mazda's and Ford of Europe products they sell as domestic Fords.

There were many changes made internally not noticeable unless you knew what to look for with the naked eye. But the car never shook its police/taxi impression that most people had of them.

The biggest change was probably in '03 when the chassis was changed a bit- it got a aluminum cradle that could load drivetrain from underneath for a easier assembly line setup, along with that the suspension widened enough to require front wheel drive looking wheels- I dont know if that was 'to keep up with the Joneses', as every car now has flat hubcap looking wheels, or if it was to reduce scrub radius for improved handling during ABS operation...

the 2000 we just got IMO is a nicer car to drive than the 2011 was we had- and the kids like the 2000 seats a lot better too...the leather in the 2011 feels rock hard, the steering wheel feels like vinyl, etc...driving, cant tell the difference, just the old one was more comfortable- plus the old one had power passenger seat, the auto mirror(w/compass) and a trunk mounted CD changer.

These cars werent just neglected the past decade they were also stripped down a little...seems like they really did not want it to sell. the one we just got has 138,000 miles on it, yet it rides every bit as tight and solid as the 2011 did- just with better seats. I will say the 2011 brakes felt a tiny bit better- but the brakes on this one arent new either...I'll put some parts in it this spring, bet it will be a tiny bit better too...

cant wait till spring to get the mustang back out ... I hate parking it for the winter :(

Edited by ford4v429

Wasn't that the point they went to the bigger tire? The fist production run were faulty and we had many replaced. But I always liked the look of the old style better.

I looked at tirerack, they had the same 225/16 tires as the standard, but the 03 had optional 17-18s too... I agree the older ones looked better- a guy at work has a old interceptor with the deeper dish black wheels and little centercaps- for a steel wheel, the ones on the old copcars looked pretty tough- those new flat ones look kinda odd- makes the tires look skinny, the newer copcars just dont look as intimidating with the flat wheels...

still a tank, but the deeper wheels made it look kinda like a oldschool hotrod... like the LTD Burt Reynolds drove in 'White Lightning'.

I read a little about the early offset wheels cracking/leaking/etc...imagine the copcars were a bit tougher on the wheels than they'd imagined- and the flat disk/severe offset probably didnt help :)

I looked at tirerack, they had the same 225/16 tires as the standard, but the 03 had optional 17-18s too... I agree the older ones looked better- a guy at work has a old interceptor with the deeper dish black wheels and little centercaps- for a steel wheel, the ones on the old copcars looked pretty tough- those new flat ones look kinda odd- makes the tires look skinny, the newer copcars just dont look as intimidating with the flat wheels...

still a tank, but the deeper wheels made it look kinda like a oldschool hotrod... like the LTD Burt Reynolds drove in 'White Lightning'.

I read a little about the early offset wheels cracking/leaking/etc...imagine the copcars were a bit tougher on the wheels than they'd imagined- and the flat disk/severe offset probably didnt help :)

PI came standard with 17" tires and rims sometyime around 2002 oe so.

I read a little about the early offset wheels cracking/leaking/etc...

It was a design problem that was corrected with replacement rims. We never had any issues and we used the vehicles in an urban setting that was very tough on the drivetrain.

Edited by rscalzo

It is nice to see the CVPI will continue on till Sept 2011....Alot of agencies [even down here] jumped the gun by ordering alot of Chargers already.

Apparently those agencies haven't seen the Next Generation Police Interceptor Sedan & Utility if they're ordering Chargers.

Chargers built quality just isn't there, maybe the latest generation might be a little better but the NGPI V6 EcoBoost beat the V8 Hemi at MSP and LASD.

No comparison

Apparently those agencies haven't seen the Next Generation Police Interceptor Sedan & Utility if they're ordering Chargers.

Chargers built quality just isn't there, maybe the latest generation might be a little better but the NGPI V6 EcoBoost beat the V8 Hemi at MSP and LASD.

No comparison

Most agencies aren't buying the big engines. Those days are gone And they aren't coming back. No agencu wants to pay a 1 or 2k primium for the big engine. Anything more than 20 to 21K per unit will not sell.