2011 Explorer - Head rest DVD Questions

We bought a 2011 Limited that included DVD head rest on the factory window sticker. We did not add it on at the time of purchase. Much to our surprise, they were not factory installed, but we had to return to the dealer to have them installed. After installation we have the following observances and questions. Please respond with any information you have.

1) Despite page 69 of the supplied at time of delivery Navigation System Sync book, DVD's cannot be controlled by front Sync/Nav screen. All is controlled by hand held remote or at the DVD player itself.

2) New headrests are NOT adjustable as the stock ones were.

3) Dealer did NOT return original headrest.

4) FM modulator is poor.

5) Despite page 58 of the same book, you CANNOT play a DVD in the CD slot and view when the vehicle is parked. It will not recognize disc.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your issue is that the dealer did not reprogam the Sync radio unit. I have seen a similar problem posted where people try and get the rear view cameras installed afterwards on F150s and the image does not show up on the nav screen. The unit has to be reprogrammed in order for the option and new device to take affect. Problem is some dealers are not technically savy to do anything complex and the electronics in these cars these days require more of a techno wizard then a wrench turner. Seeing that this unit was not installed at the factory suspect that is the problem and why some of your features are not working. Also I doubt Ford would publish a technical owners manual and explain a feature if it didn't really work. Elevate the issue with the dealer service manager and if need be contact Ford and let them know as well as this will be a common problem down the road as these roll out and the expectation is that the dealers do the install. I have a Limited with a DVD unit on order as well.

http://corporate.ford.com/owner-services/customer-support/contact-ford

Owner support info. Since the Explorer is in the early stages of roll out their will be issues. The more info Ford knows about what is working and not working the better they can hopefully address down the production line. Work through your dealer but give corp a call as well atleast the issue will be logged in their system where the engineers have access to the data.

Here is what a represntative of Ford told my wife on the Explorer Facebook page.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience -

it is not up to par. I can help explain a bit, I think. The

Navigation/Sync booklet that was included with your owners manual should

not have been included - it is for the old model nav system. We shipped

about 1500 units with these booklets, but we have asked the dealers to

remove them at delivery, and that clearly did not occur. All of the Nav

system information for Explorer is contained within the owners manual.

The new Nav system uses information from an SD card, rather than on a

hard drive, so we no longer have a DVD player as part of Nav (one way we

were able to reduce the price). Stacey is correct (of course) - because

it is dealer-installed, it is not controlled through the My Ford Touch

screen. You are also correct that Flex had a factory-installed unit.

However, we had some issues with plant installation, and we have now

reverted to dealer-installed units only.

Glad you were able to get a response from Ford. Now that we know its a distribution issue with the manuals I have some questions on your setup. I am use to the DVD system on a Tahoe where its mounted in the ceiling and can play through the headphones or radio..

1, When you say poor FM distribution what issues are you having exactly

2, Are you able to play the sound through the vehicle radio or just to the headphones

3, Are the two dvd screens independent meaning each can play a different dvd or do they share the same dvd player

4,Headrest not adjustable I'm guessing being able to adjust in height

5,Does the headrest match the seat leather color wise

6,Overall depsite having issue is the setup half decent for functionality and picture playback.

Glad you were able to get a response from Ford. Now that we know its a distribution issue with the manuals I have some questions on your setup. I am use to the DVD system on a Tahoe where its mounted in the ceiling and can play through the headphones or radio..

1, When you say poor FM distribution what issues are you having exactly

2, Are you able to play the sound through the vehicle radio or just to the headphones

3, Are the two dvd screens independent meaning each can play a different dvd or do they share the same dvd player

4,Headrest not adjustable I'm guessing being able to adjust in height

5,Does the headrest match the seat leather color wise

6,Overall depsite having issue is the setup half decent for functionality and picture playback.

1) There are 6 FM stations that the system can use to play the sound through the Explorer's stereo speakers. Thus far, the reception hasn't been as clear as I would expect. Time will tell if this changes around town.

2) Both

3) Independent. They are labeled A and B. Either can play the others content or can operate independently.

4) Yes adjust the height only.

5) Yes the matching is good.

6) I haven't had a lot of time playing the system however will do so over the weekend. Pic quality seems adequate, but not as good as our past Honda Odyssey.

I have a 2006 Mountaineer that came with the overhead Rear DVD Entertainment System from factory. It had its flaws with the huge blind spot created when the screen was folded down for viewing. However, the screen was protected when folded up and not in use. I have not seen an actual Explorer with the Invision system, but only images. I see no protection of the screen when the system is not in use. Wouldn't one good accidental poke from the tip of an umbrella while entering the second or third row or the loading of a long piece of lumber render those units useless if damaged? bogeydog, does the screen have a hard plastic protective covering? Is there anyway to protect the units that I"m not seeing in the images?

Just curious,

dusMerc

It looks good. I am thinking now I might try to get one without the TV's now. And just buy a pull down one from frys

I suggest you have a look at the latest iPad headrest mounts. If the Ford Invision system is $2000, you could cut that in half by buying two iPads and the mounts. Download the movies on iTunes or some other program and forget about having to pack around the DVD case.

Plus the iPad screen is bigger.

Also if you look at SYNC functionality with the WiFi options using your cell-phone data by USB tethering, your occupants can surf the web while you drive.

That is a great idea about the ipad

A few questions Sgt1411?

Can you view the same thing on both ipads? Sync them together?

Can you listen to the movie over the radio? Or would you only listen over the head phones?

I am intrested in this option.

The iPads are completely separate functionality. I have not run audio through the vehicle as of yet. Im sure its possible through BT streaming to the SYNC system but I just haven't looked at it because the kids all watch something different using head phones. Right now they are wired headphones because I wanted to research BT headphones a little more before buying.

That said you could easily put the same movie or game on both iPads. Your iTunes account or NetFlix account works on more then one device.

Or when we buy a BlueRay DVD for home we buy the triple pack that has 3 discs in it.

1. Regular DVD,

2. BlueRay DVD

3. Digital copy for computer or iPad

Then the movie is always on the iPad for multiple uses.

This separation works best for my kids because it's a UFC Octagon in the back seat when they try and watch the same thing.

The functionality you want is dependant on price. Remember if you buy WiFi + 3G iPads you have the ability to stream video and audio to either one.

Check out You-Tube for all the iPad vehicle installs both up front and on headrests.

If you think about price its cheaper then OEM DVD and you get way more.

I think the IPAD solution is going to work out! Thanks so much. Way bettter than the ford option since you cannot control it from upfront

Did you get it to run through the SYNC system?........if so please tell how ......Im anxious to try it myself......

Let me know what headrest brackets you end up buying too....

Also remember DONT buy the current iPad right now because the iPad2 ships next months with significant upgrades.

I haven't I saw video on life of people doing it. Has to be done thru bluetooth. Then you sync devices together. Didn't take long. I am going to do either the seat post install or going to create a mount for the center console. I am just getting one ipad since my kids are 1 and 3!

Why wait for the IPAD 2?

I haven't I saw video on life of people doing it. Has to be done thru bluetooth. Then you sync devices together. Didn't take long. I am going to do either the seat post install or going to create a mount for the center console. I am just getting one ipad since my kids are 1 and 3!

Why wait for the IPAD 2?

It's only a month away and there are significant hardware upgrades.

Camera, faster, more memory, better battery, possibly 4G ready.

Even if you don't want the iPad2 I'm sure you will see a price drop on the original so you can save some $$$$