2011 Explorer - Head rest DVD Questions

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An even better solution than getting 3G ipads is getting regular wifi Ipads and using a 4g USB dongle in the center console. Cheaper anyway when you consider you can connect the Wifi to 5 devices.

Your absolutely right that is a better solution.

I like that idea better but I was concerned about the USB Stick modem not getting good coverage down there in the console USB port.......Do you have it working now?

How do you find the coverage?

Im dying to try that but as usual up here in Canada we are a year behind the USA and they only have 4G in a small test market in Toronto.

We have HSPA 3.5+ here so we can get up to 6MBPS from a USB stick modem.

The next iPhone iOS4.3 upgrade has a "MiFi" option for you to create a small network off your iPhone data plan but who knows when that release is out.

An even better solution than getting 3G ipads is getting regular wifi Ipads and using a 4g USB dongle in the center console. Cheaper anyway when you consider you can connect the Wifi to 5 devices.

The next iOS 4.3 update from Apple has this MiFi.....which does the same as your suggestion but using your iPhone

http://telecominformatics.com/2011/01/19/apple-introduces-iphone-ios-4-3-features-wifi-tethering/

The next iOS 4.3 update from Apple has this MiFi.....which does the same as your suggestion but using your iPhone

http://telecominformatics.com/2011/01/19/apple-introduces-iphone-ios-4-3-features-wifi-tethering/

I've been using a version of this on my jailbroken Iphone 4 for months. it works okay but drains the battery like crazy and the phone will run pretty dang hot as it does with any streaming. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be streaming video to 2 ipads off AT&T's 3G network from my phone. There's no telling how much AT&T is going to charge to use that MiFi anyway. I think I'd rather add Clear 4G for another 20 bucks a month and have a dedicated USB stick.

I've been using a version of this on my jailbroken Iphone 4 for months. it works okay but drains the battery like crazy and the phone will run pretty dang hot as it does with any streaming. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be streaming video to 2 ipads off AT&T's 3G network from my phone. There's no telling how much AT&T is going to charge to use that MiFi anyway. I think I'd rather add Clear 4G for another 20 bucks a month and have a dedicated USB stick.

Again very points, your right. My data plan is unlimited so that makes it a little better.

4G for $20 month = how much data?

Thats a screaming deal if its 2GB or more.

rscalzo.........my kids would start laughing so hard if I gave them crayons. That only worked for kids of our generation. These new kids (like mine) complain when they are getting slow download speeds. LOL

Again very points, your right. My data plan is unlimited so that makes it a little better.

4G for $20 month = how much data?

Thats a screaming deal if its 2GB or more.

rscalzo.........my kids would start laughing so hard if I gave them crayons. That only worked for kids of our generation. These new kids (like mine) complain when they are getting slow download speeds. LOL

Here in Fort Worth we can get Clear 4G (1 up/ ~6 down) for 45 dollars at home and another 15 bucks to bundle a 4G mobile USB stick. Doesn't look capped at all. Still looking into it though, but I figure if we end up with and Explorer that it's a no brainer.

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Fort Worth we can get Clear 4G (1 up/ ~6 down) for 45 dollars at home and another 15 bucks to bundle a 4G mobile USB stick. Doesn't look capped at all. Still looking into it though, but I figure if we end up with and Explorer that it's a no brainer.

Did you guys see that Ford has a February Promotion going on all Trucks including Explorer. $1000 towards Genuine Accessories, which includeds headrest DVD system. Since they are paying the first $1000 maybe now its not a bad idea to install the OEM headrest DVD by Invision.

Im still confused on one issue .....can you or can you NOT play the headrest Invision DVD system from the front SYNC/NAV screen?

Edited by Sgt1411

Did you guys see that Ford has a February Promotion going on all Trucks including Explorer. $1000 towards Genuine Accessories, which includeds headrest DVD system. Since they are paying the first $1000 maybe now its not a bad idea to install the OEM headrest DVD by Invision.

Im still confused on one issue .....can you or can you NOT play the headrest Invision DVD system from the front SYNC/NAV screen?

No I didn't hear about $1000 towards Genuine Accessories, do you have a link?

I just looked at the rebates and it shows the same $1,000 cash rebate they were running in January which expires 2/28/11

I just looked at the rebates and it shows the same $1,000 cash rebate they were running in January which expires 2/28/11

I apologize guys, it looks like this $1000 accessories cash is for Ford of Canada only so far, if you go to the Ford.ca site instead of the Ford.com site you will see it.

Im asking my dealer to apply it against headrest DVD system so I will advise on the outcome.

Sg1411,

Interesting that the Canadians get 1000 off on accessories and STANDARD HID's on the Limited. Thirty miles south of you, we have to pay 4 thousand more to get HIDs! Also, was thinking of the same Ipad setup with gen 2 Ipads. Did you decide on a mount, or is that option out with the DVD headrests? Also, how is the power cord handled? I would prefer a cleaner set up through the seat if possible but that may be asking for too much!

Sg1411,

Interesting that the Canadians get 1000 off on accessories and STANDARD HID's on the Limited. Thirty miles south of you, we have to pay 4 thousand more to get HIDs! Also, was thinking of the same Ipad setup with gen 2 Ipads. Did you decide on a mount, or is that option out with the DVD headrests? Also, how is the power cord handled? I would prefer a cleaner set up through the seat if possible but that may be asking for too much!

I had no idea that HIDs were standard for just the Canadian builds......could that be because Daytime Running Lights are mandatory in Canada? I thought all Limited Explorers got HID lights.

What's funny is that MSRP for a Limited Explorer in the US is $39,999 before Rapid Spec and options, In Canada that truck is MSRP $45,000

They had $1000 Costco cash that ended in January, but now they have $1000 cash back plus $1000 Accessory cash that can be applied to the vehicle if you don't want any accessories.

The DVD kit is $2100 option at the Canadian Ford site. If I can get that for dealer cost and then apply the $1000 I will do it.

If not I will do the iPad set up.

My truck just arrived tonight at the dealer, so Monday I take delivery and will figure out best move.

I agree with you, I too want a clean install if I go the iPad route. Ideally you would want an iPad holder that has power so it would install clean (inside seat) with no wires hanging that the kids are sure to kick and rip out.

I dont think anyone makes the iPad headrest bracket with power yet do they?

I sold out!

Canadian Ford programs offerred $1000 accessories cash on any 2011 model which included the DVD option.

Dealer gave them to me for $1877 TAX AND INSTALLATION INCLUDED plus full warranty.

I found one Invision/Explorer set on Ebay for $1499 but there's shipping, tax, installation and no warranty.

So kids have iPad and DVD's now.

I sold out as well. Dealer gave it to me for his cost. $1200 bucks!

I don't like not being able to control them from the front. Trying to figure out something!!

Man you guys get such a better deal then we do up here in Canuckastan.

I thought about doing it in the US but then if I need warranty it could be a problem.

If you figure out how to control the headrest DVD from the front let me know but when I looked at how they are wired they are completely separate unlike the GM systems in the Yukons, Tahoe's, and Escalades. In those vehicles the Invision headrest systems are controlled by the front Navigation screen and DVD slot.

It might be because the disc slot on our MFT navigation system isn't DVD it's CD so to play a movie we have to use SD card, USB, or RGB cables from an iPhone or iTouch.

And how come Sirius offers satellite TV to Chrysler vehicles but not Ford?

Sgt1411,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but Im on vacation at the in-laws in SF and may be at the only house in the Bay with no internet!

I also saw that u went the headrest DVD route. Was going to tell you that there was one Ipad mount I saw that allowed one to slide in an Ipad, and had the charger built in along with a USB, but the power cord would still need to be wired in somehow. I'm assuming your DVDs are hardwired in throug the seat into the car. Does it go into the center console or into the floor? I'm wondering if it might be worth finding the wire and getting a few usb ports wired out. Are u going to entertain an ipad holder for the third row? Im wary of Ipads record of changing thier propriatary sizing and ports and may get a 'holder' only.

Also saw the posts on the sync issues and hope all gets resovled.

Sgt1411,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but Im on vacation at the in-laws in SF and may be at the only house in the Bay with no internet!

I also saw that u went the headrest DVD route. Was going to tell you that there was one Ipad mount I saw that allowed one to slide in an Ipad, and had the charger built in along with a USB, but the power cord would still need to be wired in somehow. I'm assuming your DVDs are hardwired in throug the seat into the car. Does it go into the center console or into the floor? I'm wondering if it might be worth finding the wire and getting a few usb ports wired out. Are u going to entertain an ipad holder for the third row? Im wary of Ipads record of changing thier propriatary sizing and ports and may get a 'holder' only.

Also saw the posts on the sync issues and hope all gets resovled.

I would be really interested in that iPad holder with charger built in....did you have a link?......... please post it.

Your right 3rd row makes sense for the iPad mount because I don't think the Explorer 2nd row headrests will take an OEM DVD system.

I would be really interested in that iPad holder with charger built in....did you have a link?......... please post it.

Your right 3rd row makes sense for the iPad mount because I don't think the Explorer 2nd row headrests will take an OEM DVD system.

Here is the link and video.

http://www.nextbase-europe.com/click-and-go/ipad-mount/ipad-car-mount.html

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VJEOkyoAvjk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Any info as to how your DVDs are attached to a powerpoint? Be interesting to see how I can convert it to something more tech friendly.

Here is the link and video.

http://www.nextbase-...-car-mount.html

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VJEOkyoAvjk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Any info as to how your DVDs are attached to a powerpoint? Be interesting to see how I can convert it to something more tech friendly.

That is a very nice system, takes care of the audio issues too!

Im very interested but it doesn't mention price or where to purchase in Canada or the USA.

Regarding the rear headrest video and the front SYNC screen. I was thinking the only way to get video up to that screen would be through an RCA cable same as the rear camera does it.

What if somehow you were able to use an adapter that would connect the RCA connectors down under the screen next to the SD card slot and the 2 USB slots?

Could you maybe come in from behind and tap in without disturbing the functionality or look of those RCA ports from the front area?

Or would that always push video signal up front so it would override any other multi media choices the driver would want?

Greetings everyone,

I have a 2011 Explorer XLT with Dealer Installed aftermarket Leather Seats by Classic Soft Trim, Ash #087. The aftermarket leather matches perfectly to the factory interior equivalent, medium light stone.

I'm interested in either a Headrest DVD or ceiling mounted flip down DVD. I'm leasing the vehicle and do not want to spend $1,000 plus on a headrest DVD system. Any recommendations on a matching leather alternative DVD headrest?

If I go the ceiling mount option, I'm concerned about creating a blind spot in the rearview mirror. I have no moon roof so I think mounting will not me an issue. I measured and it looks like 7" from the ceiling down would be the max distance without creating a blind spot. Any recommendations

Greetings everyone,

I have a 2011 Explorer XLT with Dealer Installed aftermarket Leather Seats by Classic Soft Trim, Ash #087. The aftermarket leather matches perfectly to the factory interior equivalent, medium light stone.

I'm interested in either a Headrest DVD or ceiling mounted flip down DVD. I'm leasing the vehicle and do not want to spend $1,000 plus on a headrest DVD system. Any recommendations on a matching leather alternative DVD headrest?

If I go the ceiling mount option, I'm concerned about creating a blind spot in the rearview mirror. I have no moon roof so I think mounting will not me an issue. I measured and it looks like 7" from the ceiling down would be the max distance without creating a blind spot. Any recommendations

If you have 3rd row seats check out the blind spot created by the 3rd row headrests!.....Pretty much blocks the entire back window when they are up.

Most are going headrest because you can move them from vehicle to vehicle and wiring in the seats is easier then the headliner.

What about buying one of the cheaper strap on DVD headrest systems for a couple hundred bucks? (Target and Best Buy have them)

I went headrests because my kids cant agree on the same movie EVER!....so for piece of mind they each do their own movie and I enjoy the silence.

Just info for the guys that have the Ford OEM Headrest DVD by Invision.

I had heard about a cable called Nav/Link cable for viewing DVD on front SYNC screen.

I called today and spoke to Invision Tech Support. I asked the guy about the ability to watch the Headrest DVD movie on the front Navigation screen while the vehicle is in park.

He said this feature was offered only a 2008/2009 Ford Flex, and is not available on our Explorers.

We would need an aftermarket supplier for the feature and an aftermarket cable harness like CoastalTech Lockpick does for GM Navigation screens.