Add second USB port..

BrianS

In the 2011 Edge, there are two USB ports in the center console. I do believe all of the newer Sync/MyFord Touch vehicles have the same setup as this. Of course, for charging purposes only, you are usually better off with a 12V adapter as opposed to USB as it'll charge faster.

And kill your battery in the process.

Not with these newfangled things called "alternators"..........

Yeah, exactly. On most vehicles nowadays (much to the chagrin of many), the 12V outlets are turned off when the car is turned off and not in accessory mode anyway. The USB ports certainly don't work either when the car is turned off.

12V power outlets are always hot on the 2011 Edge.

Good to know. Nice to be able to charge your cell phone for an hour or so without having to sit in your car with accessory power on. Of course, I don't have a car charger for my Droid, only a USB one. I'll need to buy a mini>micro USB adapter so my Blackberry charger will work with it.

Both USB ports are switched; 12V power outlets are always hot on the 2011 Edge.

Never mind. DOH! I just remembered the discussion was about laptop USB ports staying hot when the unit was plugged in. I said the sync USB ports were NOT active when the vehicle was off - just like the ones on your computer are not active when you shut down the computer. And somebody said their laptop usb ports stayed active when the computer was shut down as long as it was plugged in.

Got an EcoBoost Lariat the other day. I only can find one USB port. Don't see one in the console. Does anyone have an idea if there is a second one? Thanks

You can add a second USB to the sync in F150. You may be able to in other vehicles with sync as well.

http://www.fordf150.net/articles/idx.php/0/026/article/How-to-add-a-second-USB-port-to-SYNC.html

You can add a second USB to the sync in F150. You may be able to in other vehicles with sync as well.

http://www.fordf150.net/articles/idx.php/0/026/article/How-to-add-a-second-USB-port-to-SYNC.html

Thanks for the info. I would have never known. I have the Nav system so it is prob the same process. When I have time I will have to take a look and post some pics on here..Thanks again...B

• 1 month later...

Any chance anybody has tried adding/connecting a USB hub dongle and whether it will work with the MFT?

I thought MFT came with 2 usb ports but I could be wrong. If not there is a second, hidden usb port somewhere that some people have found. A usb hub might work as long as it doesn't require external power.