Ford's Superbowl presence

Apparently the lucrative 10-12 year old age bracket with no income and an expected vehicle purchase timeframe of 6-12 years (and only existing members of Allpar). It could only be better if it were a Plymouth ad.

About the only thing that can be definitively stated about those googling the 200 is that they weren't diehard Chrysler fans because apparently they had no idea what the 200 was.

And how many people are going to say, "Well, what really changed my mind about Chrysler was that Super Bowl commercial from 2011"

The Hyundai 10 year warranty is probably what did it for them--ask people why they added Hyundai to their 'consideration' list. For Ford, my seat-of-the-pants guess is that it was Sync more than anything else that helped change perception.

For Chrysler? Whatever it is that needs fixing, it can't be fixed with commercials. Ditto GM.

And how many people are going to say, "Well, what really changed my mind about Chrysler was that Super Bowl commercial from 2011"

The Hyundai 10 year warranty is probably what did it for them--ask people why they added Hyundai to their 'consideration' list. For Ford, my seat-of-the-pants guess is that it was Sync more than anything else that helped change perception.

For Chrysler? Whatever it is that needs fixing, it can't be fixed with commercials. Ditto GM.

I'm not arguing with you there. However, that was also never the discussion. Let's stay in context. Go back and re-read my comments in this thread. I never said a commercial is going to change anyone's mind about Chrysler. Most people probably couldn't even tell you one model Chrysler produced prior to yesterday. Because of the commercial, it resonated enough with some people to get them researching the car this morning (Allpar members aside). It got an otherwise "currently forgettable" brand in the consumer's mind.

It got an otherwise "currently forgettable" brand in the consumer's mind.

For a very short period of time.

What commercial from last year's Super Bowl was most talked about the following Monday?

Also, of the number of people that had no idea that the 200 exists, how many would have a favorable opinion after learning about the vehicle's subpar fuel economy, subpar standard equipment and subpar optional equipment, not to mention the odd styling.

Frankly, in the long run, that initial buzz will probably hurt Chrysler because the product they were advertising doesn't stand up to close scrutiny. The fact is, the Chrysler 200 is 'same old same old' from Detroit. Chrysler could not have possibly picked a worse vehicle with which to make the case that they've changed.

Edited by RichardJensen

All I have to say is after checking out the Chrysler site and seeing the 200 ad (missed it during the game), is it reminds me that I'd like to visit Detroit one day, just to check it off my list of places to go. The car itself, would probably be more easily sold by classified ads w/o pictures. The Chrysler site is especially pointless, I couldn't even find a decent view of the car, mainly closeups, or odd angle shots. Nothing about that site makes me interested in the car. The area for the 200 convertible, was especially interesting. Nice soundtrack, nice pictures of architecture, the odd closeup of a couple of the car's details. What car it is, and what it actually looks like, or why you would want to buy one because of the nice architecture or soundtrack, I don't know. Seems like the only example I can think of is trying to advertise your beverage, by explaining the virtues of sand paper. No connection, but well done none the less. At the rate Chrysler and GM are going, I wonder if they are going to need another bailout in a few years. Right now, Ford and Hyundai/Kia seem to be about the only competent carmakers out there with regards to advertising, and that's only because I haven't seen many Nissan commercials, and I still don't view Mazda as a competitor per se, even though Ford had liquidated most of it's Mazda holdings.

Another thing for people to consider why Ford SHOULDN"T do Super Bowl advertising...

Go Daddy

Look at all the racy ad's that they've done over the years...then ask someone what they do....I bet that the vast majority of people don't know they do Internet domain name sales.

i think there are many sociologists who would disagree. lol

actually a lot of eminems music now isn't very angry. if you read up on him you would find he has actually done a lot of therapy to better himself. besides can you really blame him for his music? he did what he had to make a better life for himself.

anyways i found the commercials today to be quite boring.

Can I really blame Eminem for his music? Well, honestly, I wasn't really "blaming" him for his music - it's not like he is forcing me to listen to what he writes. He can write whatever kind of hate-filled stuff he wants. I know you say it isn't angry now or hate-filled, but I disagree. Someone I work with listens to him a lot, and I get to hear the lyrics quite often - and I loathe the hatred. I compare Eminem with South Park a lot. Both are popular. Both are vulgar. Both are "fringe." Many people obviously love Eminem - and that is their right. But, that doesn't mean I have to agree with the content of his lyrics nor the mean spirit that they're presented in.

I know that Eminem has supposedly "reformed" a lot, and I've heard reports that he doesn't swear in front of his daughter. Congratulations to him. But at the same time, It's called being a parent. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad that he is at least attempting to be a good influence on his kid. But, to me, it takes much more than that.to be a good parent - and I don't know much about Eminem besides the fact that his lyrics were the mantra of many troubled students I met throughout middle school and high school. Anecdotal evidence only goes so far - but it's hard for me to erase memories of the sorrow and trouble these students seemed to always have with them. I know there are arguments that these lyrics help these troubled kids to "relate" to someone ... I don't buy it. There are messages of hope out there that would be much more impactful and beneficial. His lyrics don't offer hope - to me, they appear to offer mostly hate.

Also, I have to say that him not swearing around his kids is playing right into another pet peeve of mine: parents that are two-faced. If you're a swearing tyrant around a certain group (your fans, for example), but a clean-lipped, starch-collared goodie-goodie around your kids, sooner or later your kids are going to pick up on the fact that you're two-faced. Hypocrisy doesn't typically end well. Add that to the fact that he apparently has completely overlooked the fact that his sphere of influence is far larger than his daughter (I highly doubt he has though ... he has to know that he influenced a lot of people.) Whether he swears around his daughter or not, millions have heard his songs and are heavily influenced by them.

I'm not saying that his lyrics have CAUSED any social ills or social problems, but there's enough hate in this world ... I'm not going to support people who contribute to furthering that cause. Even if he doesn't swear around his daughter or say hateful things to her, he does to everybody else.

Oh, and as far as "he did what he had to" ... yeah, I hear this all the time about 50Cent too. I don't buy that either. I know 50Cent and Eminem grew up in rough-and-tumble environments that are hardly what most of us on this forum would call a "normal" upbringing ... but at the same time, there are plenty of folks who moved out of tough environments that did not "better" themselves (economically, at least) by spreading hate. Take James Jones for example. He's now part of the Packers - but he was once homeless and lived a very rough life. I would look to James Jones as a role model. Eminem? Eh, not so much.

Look at all the racy ad's that they've done over the years...then ask someone what they do....I bet that the vast majority of people don't know they do Internet domain name sales.

GoDaddy's advertising strategy is pathetic. You're absolutely right about the fact that no one knows what they do. Someone at the party I was at thought they sold window stickers. Window stickers! Can you believe that? Granted, domain names are something largely understood by the general populace anyway - but I feel there are much better ways to get your name out there than the salacious smut that GoDaddy.com continues to use in advertisements.

The company I work for refuses to use GoDaddy.com just because of their advertisements ... if you've ever used them, their whole strategy is appalling anyway. Their control panels are horrible, their interfaces are designed to fool you into purchasing things you don't actually want, and their whole business plan seems to revolve around taking advantage of others. I would never recommend their product to anyone except cheap skates who have no cares about what sort of company they use.

I'm frankly embarrassed that I ever gave them a try. They do one thing well: they're cheap. That's it.

Edited by SVT_MAN

The little Darth Vader ad was the best of the night. It worked because it told a good story, was funny and was perfectly geared to the product . The Passat is VWs family car. Their target audience likely has kids and what parent can't relate to the little boy trying his hardest to make his fantasy a reality. What parent wouldn't have a little fun making the fantasy come true with the press of a button.

The Chrysler ad was a big monetary gamble at around $9 Million. Chrysler has an uphill battle. There are many who will not even consider the brand. Those who might be interested need a reason and Chrysler is giving patriotism and the American bias toward the underdog a try. Will it work? Who knows, but it's nothas though they have a lot of other attributes to sell with a line up that is just warmed over models. The line about luxury seems out of place on the Chrysler 200. The 300 might have been a better choice for the ad.

Can I really blame Eminem for his music? Well, honestly, I wasn't really "blaming" him for his music - it's not like he is forcing me to listen to what he writes. He can write whatever kind of hate-filled stuff he wants. I know you say it isn't angry now or hate-filled, but I disagree. Someone I work with listens to him a lot, and I get to hear the lyrics quite often - and I loathe the hatred. I compare Eminem with South Park a lot. Both are popular. Both are vulgar. Both are "fringe." Many people obviously love Eminem - and that is their right. But, that doesn't mean I have to agree with the content of his lyrics nor the mean spirit that they're presented in.

I know that Eminem has supposedly "reformed" a lot, and I've heard reports that he doesn't swear in front of his daughter. Congratulations to him. But at the same time, It's called being a parent. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad that he is at least attempting to be a good influence on his kid. But, to me, it takes much more than that.to be a good parent - and I don't know much about Eminem besides the fact that his lyrics were the mantra of many troubled students I met throughout middle school and high school. Anecdotal evidence only goes so far - but it's hard for me to erase memories of the sorrow and trouble these students seemed to always have with them. I know there are arguments that these lyrics help these troubled kids to "relate" to someone ... I don't buy it. There are messages of hope out there that would be much more impactful and beneficial. His lyrics don't offer hope - to me, they appear to offer mostly hate.

Also, I have to say that him not swearing around his kids is playing right into another pet peeve of mine: parents that are two-faced. If you're a swearing tyrant around a certain group (your fans, for example), but a clean-lipped, starch-collared goodie-goodie around your kids, sooner or later your kids are going to pick up on the fact that you're two-faced. Hypocrisy doesn't typically end well. Add that to the fact that he apparently has completely overlooked the fact that his sphere of influence is far larger than his daughter (I highly doubt he has though ... he has to know that he influenced a lot of people.) Whether he swears around his daughter or not, millions have heard his songs and are heavily influenced by them.

I'm not saying that his lyrics have CAUSED any social ills or social problems, but there's enough hate in this world ... I'm not going to support people who contribute to furthering that cause. Even if he doesn't swear around his daughter or say hateful things to her, he does to everybody else.

GoDaddy's advertising strategy is pathetic. You're absolutely right about the fact that no one knows what they do. Someone at the party I was at thought they sold window stickers. Window stickers! Can you believe that? Granted, domain names are something largely understood by the general populace anyway - but I feel there are much better ways to get your name out there than the salacious smut that GoDaddy.com continues to use in advertisements.

The company I work for refuses to use GoDaddy.com just because of their advertisements ... if you've ever used them, their whole strategy is appalling anyway. Their control panels are horrible, their interfaces are designed to fool you into purchasing things you don't actually want, and their whole business plan seems to revolve around taking advantage of others. I would never recommend their product to anyone except cheap skates who have no integrity.

So whats worse, an honest man who listens to Eminem or a two faced, back stabbing crook who listens to gospel music?

"

I'm not taking any shots at you personally SVT_MAN , I'm just saying I know some self professed "good christians" that are the biggest piles of crap on the planet.

I'd rather hand out with hate filled and honest Eminem.

Comedian Norm MacDonald said it best:

"I answered my door bell and a Jehovah's Witness was at the door." "Would you like some literature on our Savior?"

"No thanks" "But don't you want to spend eternity in Heaven?" " Not if I have to spend it with a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses!" (That's the clean version)

P.S. I don't hate christians, around here the biggest hypocrites just happen to be them.

Edited by MY93SHO

So whats worse, an honest man who listens to Eminem or a two faced, back stabbing crook who listens to gospel music?

"

I'm not taking any shots at you personally SVT_MAN , I'm just saying I know some self professed "good christians" that are the biggest piles of crap on the planet.

I'd rather hand out with hate filled and honest Eminem.

Comedian Norm MacDonald said it best:

"I answered my door bell and a Jehovah's Witness was at the door." "Would you like some literature on our Savior?"

"No thanks" "But don't you want to spend eternity in Heaven?" " Not if I have to spend it with a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses!" (That's the clean version)

P.S. I don't hate christians, around here the biggest hypocrites just happen to be them.

Who's worse? An honest Eminem listener or a back-stabbing crook who listens to gospel? Interesting question I suppose.

As I said in my previous post, I don't think Eminem's music CAUSES any social ills, but his music isn't doing anything to better them either. To answer the essence of your question: Does the type of music you listen to determine what kind of person you are? No. Of course it doesn't. Anybody who tells you that must be in the same camp who said that violent video games CAUSED Columbine or any of the other school shootings. Even sociologists know we can't say that with certainty because there are too many variables coming into play. But do these types of things influence your behavior? Possibly. Most things in our lives can influence our behavior in some way ... some more than others.

To elaborate a bit further: there are plenty of people who "do good" who listen to Eminem (my coworker is one of those people), and there are plenty of people who listen to gospel (or any other kind of music) who "do bad." I'm hardly saying Christians are "holier than thou" - even though I won't deny that there are MANY professing Christians who do preach that. Nor will I deny the worst things you can say about me - because I've made plenty of mistakes and I'm hardly perfect. I'm not claiming to be a saint, but that is the very reason why I am a Christian. If I was good enough on my own, I wouldn't need a savior ...

At the end of the day, Christianity says we are all sinners who are unworthy to God without a savior's sacrifice for us ... and thus, you are no better than Eminem, I am not better than Eminem - no one is better or worse than Eminem. We're all in the same sinful predicament ... my problem with Eminem is less about him as a person - it's true, he can't control the circumstances he was born into - and more about the fact that his messages contradict the messages that I want spread. Is that fair? I don't know. But that's where I'm at.

You remind me of a famous quote by Ghandi:

"If it weren't for Christians, I'd be a Christian." - Mahatma Ghandi

Ghandi always had an issue with Christians because of their hypocrisy. But, what does a Christian mean? It literally translates to "Little Christ." You literally hit the nail on the head with two words you said: SELF-PROFESSED. That is, self-professed Christians.

I completely agree with you and Ghandi that many professing (don't miss that) Christians are quite bad hypocrites. What you may have overlooked (and, yes, this is an assumption on my part - so my apologies if I am incorrect) is that anybody can call themselves a Christian. It's just a label. Much like a job title, a label doesn't necessarily indicate what you actually do or how you actually live.

It's actually becoming popular to be a "Christian" .... when in fact, being a Christian is a harder devotion than most people realize. The Christianity that most practice in present-day America is not the Christianity presented in the Christian holy book - the Bible. If you don't believe me, read it for yourself. I'm not asking you to believe it - but if you read about it, you'll find that it isn't the same. The Christianity of today is basically what the culture has molded it into ... something that Americans can be comfortable with. A Christianity that fits into the dominant values of America: a focus on improving self, a focus on having good self esteem, and a focus on increasing prosperity. I'm not saying that these are necessarily bad things ... but they aren't really what the gospel presented in the Bible. If you want to know what's presented in the biblical gospel, I can go into that - but it isn't what most most Americans practice today. There are studies out there on this that I can provide you with if you want. There are studies out that indicate biblical literacy is at an all time low. The fact is, many Christians today don't know the Bible ... that's sort of like a referee at the Superbowl not knowing the playbook. With that kind of ignorance out there of the religion that many claim to hold as Truth, how can you expect any better from "Christians?"

It would seem that those you spoke of are those referred to as wolves in sheep's clothing inside the gospel of Matthew.

"They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornb ushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."

Matthew 7:15-20

As far as the jab at Jehovah's Witnesses ... eh, that's probably a bit personal to some people on here. I'm not here to spread hatred towards others or other religions ... but I do have a hard time believing that Eminem's lyrics are doing much good out there ...

Edited by SVT_MAN