2012 Mustangs

dhanulec

So with the hold on the line because of parts shortages, has anybody gotten a VIN recently, waiting for a VIN # on a Boss myself and just seems to be no new information coming.

I haven't been waiting that long. My order went in 1/24/11. Unscheduled/clean so far. From other forums, there are quite a few that are in a similar situation. It seams some dealers don't know whats going on. Mine had allocation last week and told me they should have a VIN this week. I don't think some of them know about the holds,etc. Personally I'd rather see Ford get it right now than have to deal with recalls and problems later on down the road

Edited by robot_trainer

I haven't been waiting that long. My order went in 1/24/11. Unscheduled/clean so far. From other forums, there are quite a few that are in a similar situation. It seams some dealers don't know whats going on. Mine had allocation last week and told me they should have a VIN this week. I don't think some of them know about the holds,etc. Personally I'd rather see Ford get it right now than have to deal with recalls and problems later on down the road

I ordered mine on Jan. 18 2011 and I got my vin late last week and a start of build date of March 7, 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

My store has (2) 2012 Mustang GT's (Mustang GT Premium Coupe... White/Red Leather/6-Speed Manual/3.73 Axle, Navigation, etc. & GT/CS Convertible... White/Automatic/Navigation) that were produced last week but not yet released from the plant. I looked at Ford's Vehicle Locator yesterday but they haven't yet started to list any 2012MY inventory. I haven't heard anything yet about any 2012 Mustangs being shipped yet.

As for scheduling delays, the first matter affecting scheduling is whether a Dealer has Mustang allocation. Mustang scheduling is based on a Dealer's allocation regardless of whether the order is for a stock unit or a customer's factory order. Dealers get daily reports on their order bank status as well as other resources... weekly commodity restraint letter, DNB (Distribution News Bulletins), Vehicle VIsibility, etc. The best souce of information from your Dealership is the person that manages the Dealership's orders so try talking to them directly rather than your sales representative.

As for scheduling delays, the first matter affecting scheduling is whether a Dealer has Mustang allocation. Mustang scheduling is based on a Dealer's allocation regardless of whether the order is for a stock unit or a customer's factory order. Dealers get daily reports on their order bank status as well as other resources... weekly commodity restraint letter, DNB (Distribution News Bulletins), Vehicle VIsibility, etc. The best souce of information from your Dealership is the person that manages the Dealership's orders so try talking to them directly rather than your sales representative.

I'm just I green horn, but some of the reading I've done suggest that only dealer stock orders are being pulled right now regardless of allocation. The retail orders wont get pulled until the OK TO BUY is given from Ford. My understanding is that this won't be given until the plant runs a few days at a decent output rate without any problems. Once the OK TO BUY is given, then retail orders will be pulled based on allocation (barring any commodity/material hold issues). My speculation is that this is the reason all of the Ford websites are still showing the old 2011 "build your car" screens and that there is no brochures available in dealer show rooms (at least thats the case in my area). I also have the feeling that once the website updates and the brochures are available, the retail flood gates will open.

I've had my order in since Jan 24. According to my dealer (I know the GM at the dealer ship) their allocation came up the first week of Feb and they have another in April. I don't have a vin yet either, but alot of people that ordered before me don't have one as well. He mentioned their are numerous part shortages causing delays and not just with Mustangs. A lot of suppliers took it in the teeth when the recession hit. Suppliers have alot of inertia and it takes time to ramp back up, not to mention quite a few of them went under. I'm sure Ford would want to stock the dealers before processing retail (there are only a couple of 2011's available within 60 miles of my area) so stock is extremely low.

Jim mentioned that his dealer says his order won't be built until 3rd quarter (that would be July-Sept, No?). I would assume that would be for a Boss due to their limited production?

I'm just I green horn, but some of the reading I've done suggest that only dealer stock orders are being pulled right now regardless of allocation. The retail orders wont get pulled until the OK TO BUY is given from Ford. My understanding is that this won't be given until the plant runs a few days at a decent output rate without any problems. Once the OK TO BUY is given, then retail orders will be pulled based on allocation (barring any commodity/material hold issues). My speculation is that this is the reason all of the Ford websites are still showing the old 2011 "build your car" screens and that there is no brochures available in dealer show rooms (at least thats the case in my area). I also have the feeling that once the website updates and the brochures are available, the retail flood gates will open.

I've had my order in since Jan 24. According to my dealer (I know the GM at the dealer ship) their allocation came up the first week of Feb and they have another in April. I don't have a vin yet either, but alot of people that ordered before me don't have one as well. He mentioned their are numerous part shortages causing delays and not just with Mustangs. A lot of suppliers took it in the teeth when the recession hit. Suppliers have alot of inertia and it takes time to ramp back up, not to mention quite a few of them went under. I'm sure Ford would want to stock the dealers before processing retail (there are only a couple of 2011's available within 60 miles of my area) so stock is extremely low.

Jim mentioned that his dealer says his order won't be built until 3rd quarter (that would be July-Sept, No?). I would assume that would be for a Boss due to their limited production?

You may be very correct on the "OK To Buy" information. I've been so busy dealing wth advertising campaigns and deadlines that I didn't think to look at the latest commodity letter.

As for 2012MY Mustang brochures... They were available for order about a month ago and my first one's arrived last week. Now I'm waiting to be able to order the 2012MY Focus brochures.

You may be very correct on the "OK To Buy" information. I've been so busy dealing wth advertising campaigns and deadlines that I didn't think to look at the latest commodity letter.

As for 2012MY Mustang brochures... They were available for order about a month ago and my first one's arrived last week. Now I'm waiting to be able to order the 2012MY Focus brochures.

You are correct in talking to the person who contols the orders. I check every month on the progress of the car and when I went Friday my sales person was off. I went right to the dealer owner and he made a phone call got the information.. I will check again the end of next month.. Any other tips ypu can give me to speed up the process would be helpful.

anybody know what this means:

Status date 2/15 MATL HOLD

Worried it is going to start down the line and the dealer is not going to know it, they seem somewhat lost.

I don't know what 2012 Mustang you've got on order but the "Material Hold" notice usually applies to specific models that are not being scheduled. For example... GT500's will normally show a "Material Hold" order status until just before scheduling. Commodity issues are normally listed in the weekly Commodity & Constraint Letter but there is no information for 2012 Mustangs this week as no 2012 Mustangs are being scheduled this week. The only Mustang information in this week's letter states "Retail Mustang orders will NOT be selected until after the "OK to Buy" is achieved, which is expected early February. Mustang retail specialty orders are being selected for scheduling." Of course, here were are in late February and the letter states that the "OK to Buy" is expected to be achieved in early February.

FYI... A "Material Hold" status prevents any order from being scheduled as does any commodity issue in place at the time the order would otherwise be selected for scheduling. Once a unit is scheduled, should a commodity issue arise, the order would then show a "Temporary Delay" status which is a short term hold.

Hope this helps.

I don't know what 2012 Mustang you've got on order but the "Material Hold" notice usually applies to specific models that are not being scheduled. For example... GT500's will normally show a "Material Hold" order status until just before scheduling. Commodity issues are normally listed in the weekly Commodity & Constraint Letter but there is no information for 2012 Mustangs this week as no 2012 Mustangs are being scheduled this week. The only Mustang information in this week's letter states "Retail Mustang orders will NOT be selected until after the "OK to Buy" is achieved, which is expected early February. Mustang retail specialty orders are being selected for scheduling." Of course, here were are in late February and the letter states that the "OK to Buy" is expected to be achieved in early February.

FYI... A "Material Hold" status prevents any order from being scheduled as does any commodity issue in place at the time the order would otherwise be selected for scheduling. Once a unit is scheduled, should a commodity issue arise, the order would then show a "Temporary Delay" status which is a short term hold.

Hope this helps.

Great information! Can you give an example on what a typical commodity would be for a Mustang? Also, what would a retail specialty order be (GT500, Boss)?

My order was placed on my 2012 GT January 21st 2011

It has the following packages:

3.73 axle

Electronics package

Brembo package

Comfort package

401A package

Kona blue

6spd

No word on a VIN yet, dealer tells me I will see it late March, I think that is very wishful thinking. I figure more like late April

My order was placed on my 2012 GT January 21st 2011

It has the following packages:

3.73 axle

Electronics package

Brembo package

Comfort package

401A package

Kona blue

6spd

No word on a VIN yet, dealer tells me I will see it late March, I think that is very wishful thinking. I figure more like late April

Hey, that's my car!

I ordered 12/28, got a VIN about a week and a half ago, and have projected build week of 2/28.

I try my VIN on the window sticker website every day, but no luck yet.

My window sticker showed up online 2/23, and the build day was 3/01 (right at a week after the sticker). As of yesterday, it's sitting at the railhead waiting on the right train.

What did you order (V6, GT, GT500 or Boss)?

2012 GT / 400A / 6MT / 3.55

Kona Blue w/ White OTT Stripes

Charcoal Interior, Reverse Sensing, HID & Security

Electronics Package, Rear Camera