Terrible Dealer Experience

I'm not sure this is the correct forum, but the Moderators will move it if it's not.

So I was building 2011 Rangers online at Ford's site. I searched local inventory and found that my local dealer had the exact truck I wanted in stock. It was an XLT 2wd SuperCab with the 2.3L and 5-spd. It even had all the options I wanted (alloy wheels, privacy glass, and bed liner. So today I drove to the dealer to test drive it and see what kind of deal they might be willing to do on it.

The salesman was helpful at first and I went for a test drive. However, when I got back, I had to go find him. He took the keys from me and asked "is there anything else you'd like to know" like he wasn't interested in selling it to me. I then asked what the price would be, and he replied "well, did you see the sticker in the window?". When I told him that was simply MSRP, he said something to effect of "oh, you must mean rebate." So he went back to the office and came back a minute later and told me 0% financing and $1500 back. (Ford's own website says 0% and $2500 back). I then asked about a cash price, to which he responded "same thing - $1500 back". (Ford's own website says $3500 back on a cash purchase). This tells me one of two things is going on:

1) He doesn't even know what Ford's current offers are, which means he shouldn't be employed there (he claimed he was a 15 year veteran).

2) (much more likely) The dealership was going to try to pocket the extra $1000-$2000 bucks in incentives.

On top of the whole thing, he was acting like he didn't want to sell me anything and would rather I left so he could do something else. Perhaps he thought I couldn't afford a new car (maybe at 25 I looked too young? I did have my wife with me...). The whole thing was pretty annoying and even insulting, especially considering they had the exact truck I want sitting on the lot. Good thing there are plenty of other Ford dealers in the area!

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

You'd be shocked how enthusiastic a car salesman gets, if he sees that you have the right FICO score.

Walk away. There's always another car salesman or dealer.

My suggestion (if you don't go X-Plan pin), is request quotes through Edmunds (or other car site). The quotes are no-nonsense usually, and in my experience are better than anything I was getting by more traditional methods.

The company I work for buys enough fleet Fords that they have a deal where all our employees (including me) can get an X-plan PIN. I was just so busy at work on Friday that I never got around to getting one. It's actually better that I don't buy it from the dealer here, as Rockford has 8.5% sales tax. My genius plan is to drive across the border and buy one in Wisconsin, in which case I don't pay any sales tax at time of purchase, and just pay the base 6.25% Illinois state tax rate when I register it.

As for the test drive; yes, I got to drive it without the sales guy. Since my wife was with me there was no room left unless he wanted to sit in the jump seat in the back!

As for the truck, I'm not completely sold on the 4-banger in the extended cab. It definitely has adequate power for anything I'll use it for, but after getting used to the turbocharged engine in my current Ranger, it seemed kinda sluggish. I already took an oath to my wife that I will not turbocharge a new Ranger if/when I get one :idea: The other option is go for the 4.0L, but it's hard to justify 20 grand to get the same or worse mileage than I am now. They had another 4wd 4.0L Ranger there parked next to a 4x4 SuperCab 5.0L F-150. The sticker on the F-150 was 14/19 to the Rangers 14/18! It's really too bad Ford didn't just put the 3.5 in the Ranger for its last couple of years - it would have been the perfect combination of power and fuel economy.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Deal with the sales manager, politely, tell him, "I'm ready to write you a check for this truck. Let's deal."

Odds are the salesman in question is looking at like the equivalent of two cases of Pabst in commission on this deal, and has no patience for you, regardless of how straightforward you want to make the transaction.

Also, I don't think dealers can kipe incentive money that easily. Ford has angry bears and hungry wolverines in charge of auditing that stuff.

Edited by RichardJensen

Find a different dealer. Its too bad hat some are like that.

I am a terrible hyper consumer and buy tons of shit and I have a strategy for my hyper consuming ways to attract the right sales people and help.

I pretty much dress like a broke farmer and then go shopping. Boots, worn slim jeans and a flannel shirt with a goofy stormy kromer hat. The sales people that engage me always turn out to be the ones that actually want to sell something to everyone not just the big fish, don't judge a book by its cover and are knowledgable and enthusiastic about the products.

I had a 2007 extended cab Ranger 4 cylinder and it was just OK. If you are a Ranger fan well then you would probably love it. Its the same old ranger but brand new. Its a pretty simple and crude vehicle. I didn't notice the 4 cylinder as being a positive or a negative. The 4.10 gears got it going pretty good but also drag the gas mileage down at 75-80 mph. I was contemplating changing the rear end to 3.73 but was warned about the tranny being programmed to shift points for 4.10 so I left it alone.

I had a 2007 extended cab Ranger 4 cylinder and it was just OK. If you are a Ranger fan well then you would probably love it. Its the same old ranger but brand new. Its a pretty simple and crude vehicle. I didn't notice the 4 cylinder as being a positive or a negative. The 4.10 gears got it going pretty good but also drag the gas mileage down at 75-80 mph. I was contemplating changing the rear end to 3.73 but was warned about the tranny being programmed to shift points for 4.10 so I left it alone.

Gear Vendors Ford overdrive unit

This should help the mileage at 75-80 MPH.....

Thats a pretty serious ranger commitment right there @ 3k+. I would say minimum 6 years on the payback on that mod. Super cool though. I don't specifically see a 5r44e tranny application in there but it looks like they got something for everything just call.

True...but seeing as they seem to build a bullet proof unit....when one Ranger goes down the road, remove and install on the next one... :shades: