2008 CTS Spy Shots

BORG

I found my next car. Phew, I thought I would never find a replacement for the LS :)

http://www.ewanskelly.net/picture.php?cat=...mp;image_id=456

cts9xj.jpg

the biggest piece of news is the leather coverred dash.... while I really like the Aston Marting sources Suede dash top Lincoln is playing with, this is actually coming anf is right on par with what should be in a car of CTS's class...

This is a very nice interior..

there is a downside though: without the badges you would not know this is a Cadillac.. people are taking notice that Lincoln found an interior language that makes them different, yet sacrifices nothing from the luxury people want... this looks just like any other luxury car.

Igor

The 300 isn't quite my style. I prefer something a little more along the European side of the spectrum with the accompanying performance characteristics. The CTS gives me the style, performance, features, and technology I want at a reasonable price. The Zephyr has potential but the car is severely handicapped by its Fusion heritage so it's a very mundane sedan with a very high MSRP. I don't believe the Zeph is a good value if you pay a $10,000 premium to get a Fusion with real wood accents and extra insulation.

The 300 isn't quite my style. I prefer something a little more along the European side of the spectrum with the accompanying performance characteristics. The CTS gives me the style, performance, features, and technology I want at a reasonable price. The Zephyr has potential but the car is severely handicapped by its Fusion heritage so it's a very mundane sedan with a very high MSRP. I don't believe the Zeph is a good value if you pay a $10,000 premium to get a Fusion with real wood accents and extra insulation.

Borg, The car in the photo isn't a standard CTS. Its a CTS-V. Check out the manual transmission. I drove the car and it is a blast to drive (Vette engine and 6 speed). The sticker is in the high $40s to low $50s. It is much more of a BMW competitor than anything from Lincoln.

I was thinking that you could buy a new LS and add an aftermarket supercharger plus other goodies for what a CTS-V would cost. I know the Lincoln dealers in Pittsburgh are making great deals on the LS. I have been tempted but I need the space of the Explorer and have the Mustang and T-Bird for "automotive entertainment". I really enjoyed the LS my ex-wife had.

unless they made the car lower and wider it will still look odd like the first one does. The current cts has ZERO road pressence

I have some definite GM issues with Cadillacs. I abhor the front end look. The fact that they have abandoned any resemblance to real Caddys is also a turn off. I know the current designs are supposed to be cutting edge (for gee em), but it does nothing for me. The CLK500 is a real envelope pushed with a great drivetrain. Yes it's loads of money, but what the hell are we talking about here, advanced luxury. One more thing, a nice Mustang GT would be awesome because it would be a kickass car that you'll never forget and probably never want to let go of!

Edited by 156n3rd

The Mustang is too impractical for Michigan winters, and it's a bit sparse on creature comforts. Although I understand it's getting DVD navigation in '07. And of course, it has a solid rear-axle which I just can't forgive.

I have. The solid rear isn't a problem at all. The IRS would have added substantial cost and most likely more weight.

I have as well, for quite sometime at that, and after driving the 'Stang back-to-back with my RX-8 I really don't have any complaints about the suspension (it is a tad too soft for me). Which is why I asked Borg if he has had a decent amount of seat time in the car, because I don't quite understand where the lack of IRS complaints are coming from.

BTW, that tired live axle takes a slalom course faster than the LS. Two different cars I know, but just some food for thought.

I have some definite GM issues with Cadillacs. I abhor the front end look. The fact that they have abandoned any resemblance to real Caddys is also a turn off.

I think it's a turn-on for younger generations. When I see a DeVille or Eldorado and then see a CTS or STS, I think "new generation."

When I see a Lincoln, except for the Zephyr and new design language, it seems more like the same-old, same-old.

Buicks have the "same-old" feel but there's nothing offensive about the Buick lineup except for earlier model interiors.

Borg, The car in the photo isn't a standard CTS. Its a CTS-V. Check out the manual transmission. I drove the car and it is a blast to drive (Vette engine and 6 speed). The sticker is in the high $40s to low $50s. It is much more of a BMW competitor than anything from Lincoln.

What in the world would lead you to that conclusion? The current-generation CTS can be paired with a manual transmission with both the 2.8-liter and 3.6-liter V-6 engines, so it's certainly not exclusive to the V-series CTS.

So if you've got some other evidence to prove that it is, indeed, a next-generation CTS-V, please do share.

My guess? This is NOT a CTS-V, but "merely" a next-gen V-6 model. Good to see that Cadillac isn't abandoning the manual tranny. :-)

So THIS is what Cadillac fans are raving about? Looks like a basic re-hash of the current CTS with a disproportionately huge grille grafted on. The MKZ has no worries with this car.

What the Cadillac boys ought to be worrying about is the Buick Lucerne. Conventional wisdom, such as it is, seems to indicate that GM is trying to transform Buick into it's "American Lexus" division. Having driven a Lucerne CXL, I can safely say that I drove a car vastly superior to the Chrysler 300, and one that evokes a higher feeling of refinement than even the exalted Cadillac DTS. I can find absolutely nothing in the competing Lexus that would warrant spending several thousand dollars more, and the same can be said about the DTS, save for the Cadillac name.

I have a relative working at GM right now who says insiders there are planning for Cadillac to be the American answer to Mercedes-Benz. I hate to tell them, but with the current origami styling and Cadillac's reliability problems, not to mention nearly half of the lineup being absurd looking trucks, they are far from reaching their goal.

Cadillac has one truly strong product and that, right now, is the DTS. The current CTS cannot compete with the Zephyr/MKZ dollar for dollar spent. The STS is a confused package which is overpriced, underpowered in it's V-6 form and looks far too much like it's cheaper stablemate. The SRX is a decent product but never caught on, and as for the XLR - well - kudos to Cadillac for at least building the thing and keeping the U.S. in the high end luxury roadster market.

They used to say "The only way to travel is Cadillac Style"... Now it seems that Cadillac "Style" and a shoebox have a lot in common.

KinneticBrian, I agree with your assessment. I believe the best ever Cadillacs were built between the mid-'30's to the end of the '40's. The Lucerne with it's V-8 is a cheaper way to go that the quirky design Cadillac. The Cadillac was once known as the "Standard of The World". The will never compete with M-B for that market segment, especially if they are using a Chevy (don't care if it's a Corvette engine or not) engine. Nothing to brag about. Brink back the LaSalle!

May as well be talking about Horse drawn Buggies. The real world is over the old time 'classic cars', just see all the latest auto auctions. Ad LaSalle? Was a flop in its day, but that was an eternity ago.

Some will have thir old biases, but time moves on. And the CTS sure made a LoSer out of that LS with its billion $ rebates

May as well be talking about Horse drawn Buggies. The real world is over the old time 'classic cars', just see all the latest auto auctions. Ad LaSalle? Was a flop in its day, but that was an eternity ago.

Some will have thir old biases, but time moves on. And the CTS sure made a LoSer out of that LS with its billion $ rebates

You flopped! Check the Cadillac database to see just how many units were sold from 1927 to 1940. You may want to dismiss it, but it is fact no matter how old. Live and learn. :runaway:

Edited by 156n3rd