Opinions wanted

akirby

I'm seriously considering a new F150. I had Rangers for 10 years, then switched to cars for the last 10 years and I miss having a truck plus the new F150s look great.

If I was ordering one I'd order a Supercab FX2 w/6.5' bed, Race Red with black leather interior (FX luxury pkg) and the standard 5.0L.

However........

I have a $750 coupon good until 4/4 so ordering is probably not an option. Supercrews are more plentiful and a little more useful but it would have to be a 5.5' bed and I don't like the appearance as much as the supercab 6.5' bed although it's growing on me.

OTOH there are plenty of XLTs but no leather and no console shifter, plus it only comes in Grey and not Black interior. And I can get the 3.7L with the XLT which is all I really need.

So what are your opinions on.......

SuperCab vs. Supercrew (kids are older so no issues there)

XLT grey cloth interior with column shifter 3.7L vs. FX2 black leather console 5.0L

Edited by akirby

In my opinion, I would do the following:

Order the truck you want.

Yes, you'll forfeit the $750 coupon, however, by the time the truck arrives, any new incentives will apply, and will probably be greater than $750 that you would save NOW.

For example, I ordered my truck in November and picked it up in January just when the old set of incentives were replaced with new incentives. So I got $4250 in rebates instead of the original $1500.

As the year goes on, the Ford incentives/rebates will only get better. It's just the way things work....

I'm seriously considering a new F150. I had Rangers for 10 years, then switched to cars for the last 10 years and I miss having a truck plus the new F150s look great.

If I was ordering one I'd order a Supercab FX2 w/6.5' bed, Race Red with black leather interior (FX luxury pkg) and the standard 5.0L.

However........

I have a $750 coupon good until 4/4 so ordering is probably not an option. Supercrews are more plentiful and a little more useful but it would have to be a 5.5' bed and I don't like the appearance as much as the supercab 6.5' bed although it's growing on me.

OTOH there are plenty of XLTs but no leather and no console shifter, plus it only comes in Grey and not Black interior. And I can get the 3.7L with the XLT which is all I really need.

XLT grey cloth interior with column shifter 3.7L vs. FX2 black leather console 5.0L

I am nearly in the same quandry as you with the exception of the kids. The 3.7L is enough for me but I want a 5.0L and an FX2/Lariat instead of XLT. I also have a coupon expiring same day as you that is useless to me since there are no 4x2 SCrews in my area.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. At the moment, I am leaning towards my needs, not wants. That changes on a daily and sometimes hourly basis however.

Eric

In my opinion, I would do the following:

Order the truck you want.

Yes, you'll forfeit the $750 coupon, however, by the time the truck arrives, any new incentives will apply, and will probably be greater than $750 that you would save NOW.

For example, I ordered my truck in November and picked it up in January just when the old set of incentives were replaced with new incentives. So I got $4250 in rebates instead of the original $1500.

As the year goes on, the Ford incentives/rebates will only get better. It's just the way things work....

Rest assured I won't compromise just to use the coupon. Just looking for opinions to help me decide what I really want. Thanks for the feedback.

The Super Crew has an optional 6.5' bed, and the Super Cab has an optional 8' bed - you certainly aren't limited to 5.5' beds on supercrews if you're going to special order.

I know. I don't want the longer bed. If I get a SCrew it would have to be the 5.5' bed and SCab would have to be the 6.5' bed - that's what I want.

I'll go look at a XLT and see if I like the interior. I'm not as worried about SCrew vs. SCab - I could live with either one.

But why? What makes the SCrew better IYO?

This is my opinion only and I don't expect it to conform to anybody else's opinion.

When the time comes for me to buy a new F-150, probably this spring or summer, I plan to buy a SCrew. I'm coming out of an Expedition. While I don't often carry enough passengers to justify the extra cost of a SCrew over a SCab, I find that I like having four doors and adult-size rear seat leg room even if I don't have passengers. To me, it makes the vehicle feel less like a truck. I have owned two extended cab pick-ups in the past and found the rear seating area to be almost useless except for collecting junk. Yes, I could buy another Expedition, but they are even more expensive than an F-150 SCrew, so I plan to get the vehicle that will give me SUV utility for less money.

I went with the SuperCab XLT with no console

Reasons:

* SuperCab rear seat isn't really that small - I sat in one at the dealer, two adults could easily fit back there.

* Hardly ever have any passengers anyway

* SuperCab truck is $3,000 cheaper than SuperCrew trucks

* 6.5' bed can be used with a 5th wheel camper (I don't have one and don't plan on buying one, but I plan on keeping the thing for years and who knows what I will do later)

* I just like the column shift better - personal preference.

Also, the gray cloth interior of the XLT is some pretty tough stuff - go to the dealer and TOUCH it, especially the carpet.

Thanks for the feedback. I decided that the XLT was out because my 2 Rangers both had grey cloth interiors and I just didn't want that again.

I've also decided on the SuperCrew over the SuperCab. It's been growing on me for the last several months.

So it will be a Race Red SuperCrew FX2 w/Black Leather (luxury package) and either a 3.55 or 3.73 Limited Slip with the 5.0. Haven't decided on the moonroof and Nav.

Now for the bad news - I decided to wait 6-12 months. I need to buy my daughter a new Focus in the next couple of months and we still need to pay off the Edge. Hopefully by the time the Edge is paid off the inventories will be better and incentives may be better also.

I grew up on short bed single cab F-100s back in high school in the late 70s. In fact I plan to find and restore a 77 F100 Ranger XLT short bed single cab one day, but I digress........

I never liked supercrews until the 05-09 models and even then I wasn't thrilled about them. But the 11's look great and they slowly grew on my. My wife also likes the supercrews better so now I'm sold.

I'll try again in the fall. Now I'm waffling on the Race Red vs. Ingot Silver. Decisions, decisions.....

I grew up on short bed single cab F-100s back in high school in the late 70s. In fact I plan to find and restore a 77 F100 Ranger XLT short bed single cab one day, but I digress........

I never liked supercrews until the 05-09 models and even then I wasn't thrilled about them. But the 11's look great and they slowly grew on my. My wife also likes the supercrews better so now I'm sold.

I'll try again in the fall. Now I'm waffling on the Race Red vs. Ingot Silver. Decisions, decisions.....

Starting with the '04s, I think the SuperCrews look better (with the 5.5' bed) as the proportions just seem to fit better.

I have the SuperCrew because I NEED it...3 kids (2, 5, 7) would be a real PITA with a super cab.

Starting with the '04s, I think the SuperCrews look better (with the 5.5' bed) as the proportions just seem to fit better.

I have the SuperCrew because I NEED it...3 kids (2, 5, 7) would be a real PITA with a super cab.

Thank goodness my kids are in high school and college so I won't need the extra doors 95% of the time.

Did Ford use a shorty bed (like 5') on some supercrews in the past? I thought I had seen several supercrews with weird proportions and a bed that looked much shorter than the current 5.5' bed.

Thank goodness my kids are in high school and college so I won't need the extra doors 95% of the time.

Did Ford use a shorty bed (like 5') on some supercrews in the past? I thought I had seen several supercrews with weird proportions and a bed that looked much shorter than the current 5.5' bed.

I think the '01-'03 SuperCrew had the 5.5' bed as well, it just didn't seem to look as proportionate. I think it had to do with the rear of the bed, as it curved around further than normal. The tailgate on them was the same as the flairside talkgate, which is several inches narrower than the standard tailgate..

I think the '01-'03 SuperCrew had the 5.5' bed as well, it just didn't seem to look as proportionate. I think it had to do with the rear of the bed, as it curved around further than normal. The tailgate on them was the same as the flairside talkgate, which is several inches narrower than the standard tailgate..

Maybe that was it. I just remember thinking how disproportionate it looked compared to the current Screws with the 5.5' bed.

However........

My dealer did an incentive lock including the $750 coupon.

You are spending a lot of money on a new truck...Ordered/buy exactly as you want and fits your personal preferences. We all have our own use/need for a truck. Only you know exactly what will fit your use. I thought about buying one off the lot and decided against so I could get it to fit my wants.needs

My dealer did an incentive lock including the $750 coupon.

Is the incentive lock something standard for all dealerships or just something your specific salesman is doing? I have the $750 coupon, but it specifically states that you must take delivery by the expiration date.