XLT "Plus Package" no backup camera ?

bpm382

Does anyone know why the "Plus" package comes with reverse sensors but no back up camera? I know the back up camera is a separate "add on" feature, but what really doesn't make sense to me is that of all the XLT's Super Crews that I have see on dealer lots that have the "Plus" package, not a single one has the back up camera as well. Why doesn't Ford make any "plus" package SLTs that have the back up camera already installed? It's looking like I am going to have to order one with the backup camera if I really want one. This seems like poor planning from Ford. Why is so hard to get a back up camera on a XLT Supercrew? This is driving me crazy...

Does anyone know why the "Plus" package comes with reverse sensors but no back up camera? I know the back up camera is a separate "add on" feature, but what really doesn't make sense to me is that of all the XLT's Super Crews that I have see on dealer lots that have the "Plus" package, not a single one has the back up camera as well. Why doesn't Ford make any "plus" package SLTs that have the back up camera already installed? It's looking like I am going to have to order one with the backup camera if I really want one. This seems like poor planning from Ford. Why is so hard to get a back up camera on a XLT Supercrew? This is driving me crazy...

Apparently Ford thinks people will want the PLUS package without the backup camera, which I could understand. Maybe you should be mad at the dealers who don't order them that way for dealer stock.....

I just thought that if your reverse sensors were picking something up, that you would want to be able to see what is was picking up through your back up camera. It just seems logical that a back up camera and a reverse sensing system would be included in the same package.

I just thought that if your reverse sensors were picking something up, that you would want to be able to see what is was picking up through your back up camera. It just seems logical that a back up camera and a reverse sensing system would be included in the same package.

Reverse sensing has been offered for 10 years without backup cameras. They're redundant. One shows you what's behind you. The other lets you know if something is there or not.

They can be combined but I don't see why it should be expected.

Reverse sensing has been offered for 10 years without backup cameras. They're redundant. One shows you what's behind you. The other lets you know if something is there or not.

They can be combined but I don't see why it should be expected.

OK, thanks for your response. Which one do you thing is more effective ?

You can't order the camera without getting the plus package so I assume that the wiring harness for the plus package also contains the wiring for the camera.

Since the XLT is more the "middle of the line" truck Ford doesn't include it because it's expensive.

I would assume that if you can find an XLT with the plus package you should be able to buy the camera and mirror and have them added.

I have had the sensors for 6 years, they work great to keep you from backing into cars or buildings but don't do shucks for helping you hitch up your trailer- if you have a bumper pull trailer you want the camera without a doubt

As johndeerefarmer points out the camera is much more useful for other things. And the sensors just say "something" is behind you (maybe - they do give false alerts). If I had a choice I'd get the camera.

BTW - don't assume just because you have to buy the Plus package to get the camera that it includes the wiring. That may or may not be the case.

My 2009 Taurus Limited has the reverse sensors, but no back-up camera. The reverse sensors work pretty well and even give you some warning if there is something just off the corner of the bumper. In other words, if an object is not directly behind you, but still close to the rear bumper, you'll get a warning. By the way, the reverse sensors only work when the transmission is in Reverse.

When the time comes for me to go shopping for a 2011 F-150, it will probably be an XLT SCrew 5.5' bed and I think I'd like to have the Plus package so as to get the reverse sensors. I'd like to have the camera, too, but I do not like the way Ford mounts the back-up camera on the F-150s. The camera is in the Ford logo on the tailgate. The logo sits on a housing that projects out from the tailgate an inch or so to accomodate the camera. I think it looks a little goofy and there has to be a cable running from the bed to the tailgate that flexes everytime you operate the tailgate. Also, if you ever remove the tailgate, you'll have to disconnect the camera.

So, I'll probably opt out of the factory back-up camera and go for an aftermarket one like the Boyo's that mount to the license plate frame. It would be nice if I could wire that camera to the stock wiring harness and a factory Ford mirror with the built-in display.

Edited by bb37

I guess think profit margin... I agree, doesn't make sense to have bu sensors and no camera on the Plus package. Seems like an obvious item in the Plus pkg. I wasn't going to get one either, but like Johndeerefarmer mentions, if you are going to hitch a trailer (solo), they are well worth the $$. I added mine on my screw - gladly have that over the Satelite radio receiver - dealer told me that I couldn't remove that - I won't pay for something I get for free so there is $200 I'll never see again...

I guess think profit margin... I agree, doesn't make sense to have bu sensors and no camera on the Plus package. Seems like an obvious item in the Plus pkg. I wasn't going to get one either, but like Johndeerefarmer mentions, if you are going to hitch a trailer (solo), they are well worth the $$. I added mine on my screw - gladly have that over the Satelite radio receiver - dealer told me that I couldn't remove that - I won't pay for something I get for free so there is $200 I'll never see again...

I have seen the back up camera that shows in the rear view mirror. Kind cheezy so I didn't get one with my XLT order. $450.00 for it. If you bought the Nav then it would display on the screen there which looks to be more useful. It would have been nice for hooking up the boat but I have done it for 30 years without it. No back up sensors. Annoying beeping is not for me. The dumbo mirriors are just like my SuperDuty and that kept me from hitting anything.

Edited by mikesxpress

• 4 weeks later...

I have both a camera and backup sensors on my current truck. They each have their strengths.

The camera will show you things that the sensors will not detect. And I have my camera low enough

that I can see under my 5th wheel and see if the tires are OK. But I have had trouble with water

getting in the camera and had to replace it. You can replace the tailgate camera with an aftermarket

camera. See subject in SuperDuty Forum.

The back up sensor will sometimes catch things moving in from the side before you see it on the

camera and the sound will give you more time to react.