Ohio Collective Barging Bill Passes

sanduskyman

Here we go Ohio passes the bill to eliminate collective bargaining by the unions.

No more right to strike

No more pay raises

I support this for public employees cause they do make a lot of money, but if this trickles over to the private sector, we could be FUC*$

Edited by sanduskyman
  • Like 2

Here we go Ohio passes the bill to eliminate collective bargaining by the unions.

No more right to strike

No more pay raises

I support this for public employees case they do make a lot of money, but if this trickles over to the private sector, we could be FUC*$

Ya fire fighters, police and teachers are making a killing, wake up bro this is bad for all.

• Like 1

The Wisconsin governor's punked phone-call admission that he speaks every day with Ohio Governor John Kasich is sufficient evidence that the multi-state attacks upon union bargaining rights are being nationally coordinated, presumably through the Republican Governors Association.

While these Republican governors are alleging that budgetary shortfalls justify these actions, it is clear that they aim to diminish the political opposition from Organized Labor.

Statements by John Kasich and the others, about how they don't hate union members, but rather that they hate the "union bosses" and the "unfair advantages" unions have created through collective bargaining, are simply efforts to reduce the backlash their policies create among public and private union members.

I anticipate that once public sector union power is vacated, that future efforts will focus upon diminishing the power of private sector unions through right-to-work legislation.

The Republicans have thus far sought to cultivate personal envy and financial jealousy within the Middle Class. We who are unionized, whether public or private, have been better able to weather the economic storm of this Great Recession, despite real concessions that we and other union members have accepted and which go largely unacknowledged.

This cultivated belief among the unaware and uninformed has people feeling that we who are unionized are unfairly doing better than those who have lost more during this recession. Unfortunately and occasionally, even here, postings either echo or otherwise justify this faulty public belief.

It is a matter of time, I believe, before the Republican spotlight is turned upon private sector unionized employees who, through collective bargaining, may be portrayed as harming the competitiveness of companies -- in the same way those statements were made about the UAW and the past-weakened domestic auto industry.

If the Republicans achieve control of the White House and both bodies of Congress, I will not be surprised to see assaults on remaining public and private sector union member pension rights, under the guise of improving global corporate competitiveness.

For Republicans, this is political effort will serve businesses' goals to lower labor costs and increased profits.

For the rest of us, whether unionized or non-union, this is about the continued decline in the Middle Class standard of living.

I sincerely regret the darkness of my concerns -- and I hope I am wrong -- but the manipulated public perception that unions have outlived their usefulness must be effectively countered.

Absent the elimination of economic envy within the Middle Class, there will be no return to the glory days when everyday people aspired to get a good union-represented job, and Republican right-to-work legislation will continue to squelch efforts by "greedy union bosses and their rank and file union thugs" toward organizing the unorganized.

Having written all this, I do believe there is authentic need to address budgetary short falls and the Federal deficit, but so far, the Republican approaches fail to provide for equality of sacrifice.

It really will be about Solidarity this time, otherwise, say goodbye to unions -- which is the most obvious of Republican hopes.

• Like 4

The Wisconsin governor's punked phone-call admission that he speaks every day with Ohio Governor John Kasich is sufficient evidence that the multi-state attacks upon union bargaining rights are being nationally coordinated, presumably through the Republican Governors Association.

While these Republican governors are alleging that budgetary shortfalls justify these actions, it is clear that they aim to diminish the political opposition from Organized Labor.

Statements by John Kasich and the others, about how they don't hate union members, but rather that they hate the "union bosses" and the "unfair advantages" unions have created through collective bargaining, are simply efforts to reduce the backlash their policies create among public and private union members.

I anticipate that once public sector union power is vacated, that future efforts will focus upon diminishing the power of private sector unions through right-to-work legislation.

The Republicans have thus far sought to cultivate personal envy and financial jealousy within the Middle Class. We who are unionized, whether public or private, have been better able to weather the economic storm of this Great Recession, despite real concessions that we and other union members have accepted and which go largely unacknowledged.

This cultivated belief among the unaware and uninformed has people feeling that we who are unionized are unfairly doing better than those who have lost more during this recession. Unfortunately and occasionally, even here, postings either echo or otherwise justify this faulty public belief.

It is a matter of time, I believe, before the Republican spotlight is turned upon private sector unionized employees who, through collective bargaining, may be portrayed as harming the competitiveness of companies -- in the same way those statements were made about the UAW and the past-weakened domestic auto industry.

If the Republicans achieve control of the White House and both bodies of Congress, I will not be surprised to see assaults on remaining public and private sector union member pension rights, under the guise of improving global corporate competitiveness.

For Republicans, this is political effort will serve businesses' goals to lower labor costs and increased profits.

For the rest of us, whether unionized or non-union, this is about the continued decline in the Middle Class standard of living.

I sincerely regret the darkness of my concerns -- and I hope I am wrong -- but the manipulated public perception that unions have outlived their usefulness must be effectively countered.

Absent the elimination of economic envy within the Middle Class, there will be no return to the glory days when everyday people aspired to get a good union-represented job, and Republican right-to-work legislation will continue to squelch efforts by "greedy union bosses and their rank and file union thugs" toward organizing the unorganized.

Having written all this, I do believe there is authentic need to address budgetary short falls and the Federal deficit, but so far, the Republican approaches fail to provide for equality of sacrifice.

It really will be about Solidarity this time, otherwise, say goodbye to unions -- which is the most obvious of Republican hopes.

I guess the UAW was right about the Republicans. They are after us. If we don’t stop them now, they will come after us next.

That whole auto loan the Republicans were against and tried to dissolve the big 3 wasn’t against GM and Chrysler….. It was to bust the union.

Its all crystal clear to me now.

The union members in Ohio that voted for that Republican Governor, I have no sadness for you. This guy came right out and told the Ohio citizens he was coming after the unions. He didn’t hide it like Walker and Snyder.

Well Ohio….. ya get what you voted for….

• Like 4

No more right to strike

No more pay raises

I support this for public employees case they do make a lot of money, but if this trickles over to the private sector, we could be FUC*$

If ANY union member supports this for ANY other union member, they are simply a foolish person willing to sell out to anyone with a total buillshit line of crap.

Public employees do NOT make alot of money. Stop listening to the bullshit and do some research. Once we allow this to start, it will be a damned snowball running over each and everyone of us.

Damn I absolutly HATE hearing a UNION member bad mouth ANY union. We need MORE union membership...not less, or we are all in a world of hurt.

• Like 7

If ANY union member supports this for ANY other union member, they are simply a foolish person willing to sell out to anyone with a total buillshit line of crap.

Public employees do NOT make alot of money. Stop listening to the bullshit and do some research. Once we allow this to start, it will be a damned snowball running over each and everyone of us.

Damn I absolutly HATE hearing a UNION member bad mouth ANY union. We need MORE union membership...not less, or we are all in a world of hurt.

Do we support these teachers or not

I agree we need more union members

Go to any school parking lot and count the Hondas And Toyotas versus Ford/GM theres your teachers union :hysterical: Do They Support UAW :hysterical:

Be American Buy American :happy feet:

• Like 5

Go to any school parking lot and count the Hondas And Toyotas versus Ford/GM theres your teachers union :hysterical: Do They Support UAW :hysterical:

I was just going to point that out.

Drive passed a school, Fire Department, Police Station, Hospital (in Canada at least), or any other type of Government building, and see what is sitting in the employee parking lot (Hell, our Local Government has a whole whack of Japanese cars in their fleet, and some of the City Councilors have tried banning the Crown Vic & Town Car for being used as taxi's and limos, pushing for Toyota Camry's instead)). I can only think of 2 or 3 Government workers that I know who own a Big 3.

These workers, IMO, do not support us, so I don't know why you are supporting them.

Maybe instead of complaining why your parents grounded you, you should look at why you got in trouble in the first place. In other words, forget about the "brotherhood", do you really think you are getting your bang for your buck when it comes to your tax dollars?

• Like 4

I was just going to point that out.

Drive passed a school, Fire Department, Police Station, Hospital (in Canada at least), or any other type of Government building, and see what is sitting in the employee parking lot (Hell, our Local Government has a whole whack of Japanese cars in their fleet, and some of the City Councilors have tried banning the Crown Vic & Town Car for being used as taxi's and limos, pushing for Toyota Camry's instead)). I can only think of 2 or 3 Government workers that I know who own a Big 3.

These workers, IMO, do not support us, so I don't know why you are supporting them.

Maybe instead of complaining why your parents grounded you, you should look at why you got in trouble in the first place. In other words, forget about the "brotherhood", do you really think you are getting your bang for your buck when it comes to your tax dollars?

I made a similar reference in another post about teachers and the union support they show outside their own union which is about zero (IMHO). I know 8 teachers employed in different school systems and grade levels. All drive Honda's & Toyota's, and none of them have anything good to say about autoworkers,unions or the UAW. Their union is good , go figure. In different conversations I have mentioned how Ford employees gave back several benefits to help the business but they revert back "your the reason cars cost too much" and "the rank and file are overpaid". Just wait until our profit sharing benefit is posted on the front page of every news paper and you will feel the love again. In principal I do not want ours or theirs collective bargaining to be lost but the reality is several other states are trying to convert to right to work states. The public unions fight is a separate fight from ours but our time is coming. The major difference is how they are paid (tax dollars) Vs unions and companies that produce a product. I did not wish this on the public unions but I am not crying a river for them either. I have been a member for 31+ years of two separate international unions and never once has any other union gave a crap about anything we had to take cuts for of give back. Maybe its Karma for people on the taxpayers dime that dislike autoworkers. Someone said you done know how much you miss something until its gone. This will be a wake up call for some public paid employees and union management also.

• Like 4

So true brother!!!!

• Like 2

Do we support these teachers or not

I agree we need more union members

Hell...take a look at your own workplace parking lot. Your own UAW brothers and sisters won't buy American...How in hell can you even think of expecting anyone else to do so?

Simple fact of the mattrer...the teachers are spoon fed the media bullshit about the UAw the same as anyone else. Some of us know its not that UAW we know today, but "Perceptions" take a long damn time to change, but WE have done little to nothing to change it in the publics eyes. And we wonder why we are hated? Its no surprise at all. We as a Union, like it or not, protect dead weight in the workplace, Have in the past produced some really crappy quality, are filmed going to lunch at the bar or smoking dope in the park, and somehow we think these things are going to make the public love us?

I'll bitch about support from OTHER Unions, when we get the support from OUR OWN! Hell, I even know reps that ride Non-American motorcycles. they probably have a honda in the garage that the wife drives.

And before anyone asks...My garage contains the following vehicles...2 Ford Focus's and 2 harley Davidson bikes. Nothing else allowed...PERIOD

• Like 3

Well, the republicans don't support us either and we still have a lot of people on the site that vote for them.

Unfortunately, the sooner you realize neither political party cares about you, the better you will be. And the sooner you realize the head honchos within the Union don't care about you either, then you'll be on the track to a better life.

Protect public sector unions on a selfish basis. They break them we're next. Us them as a buffer zone at least.

If you want to see the union survive, then the union and the mentality of the union members needs to change.

That's what is happening right now. Either unions see the change coming, or they will be thrown to the curb. There is simply too much Global competition out there for the old mentality to continue to work. The blue collar middle class worker can survive, they just have to be smarter about how they go about it.

• Like 3

I have been visiting this board for several years now and after seeing this post I finally had to become a member. Are you smoking crack. My wife is a 4th year teacher in MO and is making less than 35K a year. I do not know what the other public employees are making but after her going through school and now paying student loans along with what she spends out of her pocket to educate your kids I really don't think she makes "a lot of money". Not to mention all of the hours that she puts in before and after work hell right now she is donating her time away from our family for a 4th grade readin. I could pretty much garantuee that if you put in as much time off the clock as teachers you would be redfaced crying and whining about it.

• Like 3

Actually the public sector makes more than the private sector. Look it up.

• Like 4

I have been visiting this board for several years now and after seeing this post I finally had to become a member. Are you smoking crack. My wife is a 4th year teacher in MO and is making less than 35K a year. I do not know what the other public employees are making but after her going through school and now paying student loans along with what she spends out of her pocket to educate your kids I really don't think she makes "a lot of money". Not to mention all of the hours that she puts in before and after work hell right now she is donating her time away from our family for a 4th grade readin. I could pretty much garantuee that if you put in as much time off the clock as teachers you would be redfaced crying and whining about it.

Dude, please ask your wife to read your post. Maybe she will take you with her.

Edited by soupy
  • Like 2

Hell...take a look at your own workplace parking lot. Your own UAW brothers and sisters won't buy American...How in hell can you even think of expecting anyone else to do so?

Simple fact of the mattrer...the teachers are spoon fed the media bullshit about the UAw the same as anyone else. Some of us know its not that UAW we know today, but "Perceptions" take a long damn time to change, but WE have done little to nothing to change it in the publics eyes. And we wonder why we are hated? Its no surprise at all. We as a Union, like it or not, protect dead weight in the workplace, Have in the past produced some really crappy quality, are filmed going to lunch at the bar or smoking dope in the park, and somehow we think these things are going to make the public love us?

I'll bitch about support from OTHER Unions, when we get the support from OUR OWN! Hell, I even know reps that ride Non-American motorcycles. they probably have a honda in the garage that the wife drives.

And before anyone asks...My garage contains the following vehicles...2 Ford Focus's and 2 harley Davidson bikes. Nothing else allowed...PERIOD

Ok I took your advice and cruised the parking lot

I seen Fords everywhere although there was a couple of Mazdas and a few Chevy's oh i seen a Dodge or 2

sorry the only jap crap i seen was parked in the salary lot 1 honda accord

:happy feet:

• Like 1

After the republicans eliminate the union jobs workers at McDonalds will be the new middle class!!! The good old USA will be like some other countries, you will be either very poor or very wealthy, no middle class.

Funny though, has anyone else linked the decline in union jobs and the decline in tax revenue, especially for states?

• Like 2

When collective bargaining was taken away in Missouri and Kentucky, we fought and got our rights back.

This was in an article sent to me from AFSCME, public school employee Union.

WE have to fight to get our rights back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't give up!!!

Maybe the Union members that vote Republican understand Republicans are our enemies.

In fact look how the Democrats in Wisconsin are standing up for Unions, Thank you...

• Like 3

Maybe the Union members that vote Republican understand Republicans are our enemies.

In fact look how the Democrats in Wisconsin are standing up for Unions, Thank you...

Yes...time to get off the fence.

If you support the Republicans in their efforts to destroy unions and the middle class then you are a SCAB.

I prefer this classic version

• Like 3

Actually the public sector makes more than the private sector. Look it up.

Not when you compare degrees and amount of further education a teacher needs to keep thier certification, Nor can you compare a private employee that goes home at 5 pm to a teacher that goes home and grades papers, writes lesson plans all evening and most weekends.

Overall...maybee...but not when you go apples to apples. teachers are worth WAY more than they currently make in most cases. Police and Fireman...you can't pay them enough for putting thier lives on the line everyday. We simply don't value the sacrifices these people have made for US, and our kids. All we want to do is complain that they make too much...and that is ONLY because its our tax dollars that pay them. I rarely hear of anyone UAW member complaining that WE make too much...and teachers make much less for the amount of education they must have.

• Like 4

Here is the main reason they are trying to union bust, it's because these sates are broke, and instead of making cuts where they can, they want to go after workers. If every state in the union actually followed it's budget and didn't over spend and wasn't corrupt, you wouldn't have to union bust or go after jobs!

plain and simple. if a household can budget and stay within it, there is no reason why a state can't.

If states stayed within their budget, they wouldn't have to lay off fire fighters and police and other state workers.

Everything operates on greed and corruption and it has to stop. People are now getting tired of it so they are protesting.

lets start putting these people that run our state and local gov in jail for the over spending and corruption.

BTW in Wisconsin if these people can't report back to their job, don't fine them, simply fire them!.

Edited by sanduskyman
  • Like 3

Perhaps our govt.leaders in both the USA and Canada should stop making it so easy for industry to leave for countries with unrealistic cheap labour and allowing their products back into our countries without a fair tarrif to allow a even playing field. With all the higher paying labour jobs being allowed to leave, states and provinces have lost a huge tax base. Im not a economics expert but to me if you lose all the high paying and highly taxed incomes and only replace it with minimum wage taxed incomes you will have a budget shortfall and now that makes any public sector salary seem way to high. It will, and has become a vicious circle with no end in site. As each job class, private or public is put on the over paid chopping block you will be told by your govt. leaders that each group is paid too much and they have another budget shortfall and the general public will fight with each other pointing the finger and help them force each group down even farther to the point where even Mc Ds wages will be put on the block. Welcome to the hamster wheel of control.

• Like 4

Not when you compare degrees and amount of further education a teacher needs to keep thier certification, Nor can you compare a private employee that goes home at 5 pm to a teacher that goes home and grades papers, writes lesson plans all evening and most weekends.

Overall...maybee...but not when you go apples to apples. teachers are worth WAY more than they currently make in most cases. Police and Fireman...you can't pay them enough for putting thier lives on the line everyday. We simply don't value the sacrifices these people have made for US, and our kids. All we want to do is complain that they make too much...and that is ONLY because its our tax dollars that pay them. I rarely hear of anyone UAW member complaining that WE make too much...and teachers make much less for the amount of education they must have.

I have news for you. If you are a private sector employee working less than 10 hours a day you are an under achiever. And more than a few of private sector employees have masters degrees and are constantly involved in continuing education. The advantage of a public sector employee is he or she bears no responsibility for the results of their effort. If a student fails it is never the teachers fault. The student didn't put in the effort, or the parents don't care. It is never the teacher could not find a way to reach the kid.

• Like 4

Not when you compare degrees and amount of further education a teacher needs to keep thier certification,

I’m not going to assume I know what happens in different countries or States, but a few years back here in Ontario, our Premier (that’s our equivalent of a Governor for those Americans who weren’t taught about their neighbours to the North), wanted to test our teachers to ensure they knew what they were teaching. The union had a major issue with this, and there was a revolt by the teachers throughout the elementary and secondary school levels.

In Ontario, where a teacher can earn over $85,000 per year, the only education you need is a few months of Teacher’s College, after you graduate from university. Fact is, I know people at assembly plants with more education then what teachers require.

And unlike many other professions, here in Ontario, once you are hired, you are set for life. No re-certification for any of them

Nor can you compare a private employee that goes home at 5 pm to a teacher that goes home and grades papers, writes lesson plans all evening and most weekends.

I can’t believe teachers are still pushing this lie. We all spent at least 12 years in school, and we all know at least a half dozen teachers in our personal life. We all have first hand knowledge of what a teacher actually does. The reason why people think teachers are over paid is because we all know first hand what they actually do.

I drive past two schools on the way homes from work. The parking lots are mostly empty when I’m on my way home. We have at least 3 teachers in our neighbourhood, who are usually home before I am everyday. My ex (who I lived with), is a teacher. Sorry bud, but if teachers actually worked half as much as they claim to, it would be twice as much as they are actually working right now. Not to mention, if an inch of snow falls, the schools get shut down, and teachers get the day off, with pay

My SO was out of town this week at a conference / training session. They started at 8:00 in the morning, and didn’t finish until 8:00 at night. Right now she is in her office trying to get caught up on work she couldn’t get to while she was away. So please, most “professionals” work well past 5:00 and weekends. And they don’t get the entire summer off to “regroup”. Not to mention, most never stop continuing their education.

Overall...maybee...but not when you go apples to apples. teachers are worth WAY more than they currently make in most cases.

Good ones, yes. Average to poor ones, not at all.

Problem is, the bad ones far out number the good ones. And the problem is my tax dollars pay those bad ones. And those bad ones will never be fired.

Police and Fireman...you can't pay them enough for putting thier lives on the line everyday. We simply don't value the sacrifices these people have made for US, and our kids. All we want to do is complain that they make too much...and that is ONLY because its our tax dollars that pay them. I rarely hear of anyone UAW member complaining that WE make too much...and teachers make much less for the amount of education they must have.

I notice you didn’t mention the pay of soldiers. Who make far less, and have far more dangerous jobs. But I guess they aren’t unionized, so you don’t really care about them.

Listen, no one says the PD or FD don’t have an element of danger, but the reality is, there is a greater risk of the truck driver who delivers toilet paper to the grocery store of being hurt, then of a PD or FD being hurt. Yet you don’t seem overly concerned about them.

Teachers or other public servants complaining about the pay, is like my mother knowing how far the drive to Florida is, agreeing to drive there, then complaining that it’s taking too long.

It is well known what a teacher earns. If you make the decision to go into that profession, you know what you will be paid. I don’t understand why people do something willingly; knowing all the issues, and then complain about those issues. If teachers don’t like what they are getting paid, then go do something else. But don’t tell me you do it for the “love of it”, then bitch you want more money. And just once, I’d love to hear a teacher try to complain how tough they have it, while they are in the midst of their 10 week summer vacation. Or two week Christmas Holiday. Or week long March Break. Or during one of their 20 sick days. As long as they are being paid with the public’s money, then the public has the right to question how effectively that money is being spent. and considering the education that our children are receiving, it ain't being spent wisely.

• Like 5