Focus wins big C&D shootout

It's funny that the Federal Highway Administration's fonts are being used everywhere, even as they're gradually being phased out on highway signs (C&D scores).

But, once again, you're looking at subjective measures tabulated and compared with each other in a manner so utterly pointless as to make Nigel Tufnel's discourse on his amp seem comparatively sane.

Total.jpg

Rob Reiner: "You realize that 'fun to drive' is over 10% of your scoring criteria? How do you score 'fun to drive'?"

C&D Editor: "Well, uh, we believe that 'fun to drive'ness is what, uh, most buyers are really concerned about."

Rob Reiner: "So, on, say a test of minivans, over 10% of the final score is based on 'fun to drive.'"

C&D Editor: "Yeah, that's right."

Rob Reiner: "And that doesn't seem the slightest bit weird to you."

C&D Editor: "No. Why should it? Minivans, y'know, need to be fun to drive, too."

Rob Reiner: "And you determine the score for this category......"

C&D Editor: "Well, y'know, if a car's 'fun to drive', well, we give it a good score in the 'fun to drive' category."

Rob Reiner: "And you determine that it's fun to drive by.........."

C&D Editor: "Well, by whether it's fun to drive. If it's fun to drive, y'know, it's going to get a good 'fun to drive' score."

Rob Reiner: "You realize that 'fun to drive' is over 10% of your scoring criteria? How do you score 'fun to drive'?"

C&D Editor: "Well, uh, we believe that 'fun to drive'ness is what, uh, most buyers are really concerned about."

Rob Reiner: "So, on, say a test of minivans, over 10% of the final score is based on 'fun to drive.'"

C&D Editor: "Yeah, that's right."

Rob Reiner: "And that doesn't seem the slightest bit weird to you."

C&D Editor: "No. Why should it? Minivans, y'know, need to be fun to drive, too."

Rob Reiner: "And you determine the score for this category......"

C&D Editor: "Well, y'know, if a car's 'fun to drive', well, we give it a good score in the 'fun to drive' category."

Rob Reiner: "And you determine that it's fun to drive by.........."

C&D Editor: "Well, by whether it's fun to drive. If it's fun to drive, y'know, it's going to get a good 'fun to drive' score."

I think it’s acceptable for C&D to have a fun to drive category in all their shootouts. C&D makes it clear that they are biased towards enthusiasts, enthusiasts care about how fun a car is. If your main concern is how well the cup holders work, then pick up a copy of CR instead.

Anybody who truly knows what it means for a car to be fun to drive knows that it can’t be objectively measured and that it is hard to put into words. It’s purely a subjective rating. Take the Mazda Miata for example. Its objective performance measurements are kind of underwhelming. Despite that, anybody who has driven one knows that it is an absolute hoot on a winding road.

Other than the Mustang, and maybe the F-150 on occasion, can anyone remember the last time a Ford finished first in a C&D multi-car comparo? The last one I know of (because I have it photocopied in my collection of Probe goodies) is the 2nd generation Probe in 1993.

Other than the Mustang, and maybe the F-150 on occasion, can anyone remember the last time a Ford finished first in a C&D multi-car comparo? The last one I know of (because I have it photocopied in my collection of Probe goodies) is the 2nd generation Probe in 1993.

The Fusion Hybrid won a test too.

anyone else see the Irony of the vehicle getting the highest scores in price gets the lowest in content....now THATS comedy...

Frankly, it is more than irony, it is a true "No sh** Sherlock" moment.

This is kind of akin to a magazine punishing an auto manufacturer for not yanking a customer owned Explorer off of the line, so they could give a new production version for a comparison test....................... don't you think??