Focus wins big C&D shootout

C&D did a major compact shootout with the following ranking:

1. Ford Focus

2. Mazda 3

3. Hyundai Elantra

4. Chevy Cruze

5. Volkswagen Jetta

Who would have thought there would ever be a day when Honda, Toyota, and Nissan are all left out of a major compact shootout?

Hasn't been posted on the website yet, I'll try to get the link published as soon as it is.

1. Ford Focus

2. Mazda 3

3. Hyundai Elantra

4. Chevy Cruze

5. Volkswagen Jetta

Who would have thought there would ever be a day when Honda, Toyota, and Nissan are all left out of a major compact shootout?

Hasn't been posted on the website yet, I'll try to get the link published as soon as it is.

Ford must have ponied up the most moolah....lol.

I am assuming it was for newly released models or redesigns. Honda, Toyota and Nissan don't meet that criteria, correct?

Ford must have ponied up the most moolah....lol.

I am assuming it was for newly released models or redesigns. Honda, Toyota and Nissan don't meet that criteria, correct?

That was my thought too, the compacts that have been coming out lately are so good they probably did not want to include those older models. They also may not want to have been seen as Japanese car bashers.

The "new" 2012 Civic has been in production for several weeks at their IN plant... but they haven't offered any up for reviews that I can tell, nor did they get any into the auto show circuit. I'm wondering if it has to do with backlash from the anticipointment that followed the unveiling a few months ago.

• Like 1

1. Ford Focus

2. Mazda 3

3. Hyundai Elantra

4. Chevy Cruze

5. Volkswagen Jetta

C&D must have really liked the handling of the new Focus, because that is usually its number one priority in rating these vehicles....its fun to drive quotient. That is good news. Add in EB I4 and the Focus ST will be best pocket rocket out there. I still love the previous generation SVT Focus, and the new one promises to be so much better. Something like over 80% of the parts on N.A. Focus are same as European Focus. Good DNA where Europeans value handling over straight line performance.

The "new" 2012 Civic has been in production for several weeks at their IN plant... but they haven't offered any up for reviews that I can tell, nor did they get any into the auto show circuit. I'm wondering if it has to do with backlash from the anticipointment that followed the unveiling a few months ago.

It could be that all reviews have been embargoed...the car detailer at the dealer where I get my Accord services has told me that the car won't be offered for sale until the end of April at the earliest. He also said that Honda has brought new Civics to the dealers for sales representatives to examine.

According to him, it looks bigger and more expensive than the current Civic. He wasn't too enthusiastic about the change, but he is about 20, so perhaps Honda is going after people who actually have money to buy a new vehicle.

The real concern here is that the much-ballyhooed Cruze and Jetta are bringing up the rear.

Edited by grbeck

It could be that all reviews have been embargoed...the car detailer at the dealer where I get my Accord services has told me that the car won't be offered for sale until the end of April at the earliest. He also said that Honda has brought new Civics to the dealers for sales representatives to examine.

According to him, it looks bigger and more expensive than the current Civic. He wasn't too enthusiastic about the change, but he is about 20, so perhaps Honda is going after people who actually have money to buy a new vehicle.

The real concern here is that the much-ballyhooed Cruze and Jetta are bringing up the rear.

It could be an embargo, good point.

As to his impressions, besides the rear, it isn't all that different from the outgoing model:

2012-honda-civic630opt.jpg

LINK - Autoblog

Interior, too...

honda+civic+interior.jpg

It could be an embargo, good point.

As to his impressions, besides the rear, it isn't all that different from the outgoing model:

2012-honda-civic630opt.jpg

LINK - Autoblog

Interior, too...

honda+civic+interior.jpg

ZZZZZZZZZZ...Wake me up when it's light out. I can't believe Honda is still going with that double tiered instrument panel. Honda has truly lost its way. Take away its fine 4 cyl. engine technology, and it has nothing. And to think it's in big time racing, but doesn't make a vehicle for production that is fun at all. Get out of racing Honda as you have nothing that even symbolizes racing in your production portfolio.

C&D must have really liked the handling of the new Focus, because that is usually its number one priority in rating these vehicles....its fun to drive quotient. That is good news. Add in EB I4 and the Focus ST will be best pocket rocket out there. I still love the previous generation SVT Focus, and the new one promises to be so much better. Something like over 80% of the parts on N.A. Focus are same as European Focus. Good DNA where Europeans value handling over straight line performance.

We'll see what kind of fuel economy the Focus ST gets. If it can manage 25/35, then I'll be interested in a CPO to rack up miles on.

The Hon/Toy fans will says it's the 2nd string contenders, and the reason theirs weren't tested is it was no contest! lol

It was smart of Honda not to include the Civic if it wasn't ready, as we've seen how a pre-production Explorer made a bad impression at MT.

Edited by timmm55

1. Ford Focus

2. Mazda 3

3. Hyundai Elantra

4. Chevy Cruze

5. Volkswagen Jetta

CD.jpg

Total.jpg

I think this test reaffirms observed conventional wisdom:

1. Mazda3 is the sportiest compact car

2. Elantra is great value but insipid to drive, poor handling

3. Cruze has good bones (chassis) but let down by some minor detail and so-so handling

4. Jetta is cheap cheap cheap and has big trunk

5. Focus seems to hit the sweet spot between good driving characteristic and good ride. Also, offers the most bang for the buck in terms of amenities.

Edited by bzcat

Focus scores a 10 in features/amenities and no other one even hit higher than 5? Wow!

Also, when the heck was the last time any Ford engine was given best marks for NVH characteristics??

Oh, and how did the Jetta beat the Cruze and Elantra in its handling score when its skidpad and lane change speed were both worst of the bunch? :headscratch:

Edited by NickF1011

What was the issue with the transmission - the transmission itself, the shift programming, or the buttons on the shifter instead of paddles or a shift gate?

I see these rags knock Fords for not having paddle shifters. That's one thing I hate on my wife's Honda. I'd much prefer a button on the gear selector if I was driving a auto.

And the Focus they tested has the least sporty suspension setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Stage 1: S, SE without sport package, SEL

Stage 2: SE with sport package, Titanium

Stage 3: Titanium Handling Package

You're pretty much right. This is as "bad" as the handling gets.

I see these rags knock Fords for not having paddle shifters. That's one thing I hate on my wife's Honda. I'd much prefer a button on the gear selector if I was driving a auto.

Before they complained that Ford didn't have anything, now they put at least the push button type and then complain that it doesn't have the paddle shifters. They can't win LOL.