E15 Fuel

johnjyi

I was thinking for a couple of weeks now and finally decided to post to get your thoughts.

I understand there is a push to increase the fuel mixture to 15% ethanol. For a while, I didn't even think anything of this. However, I was at the gas station recently with my '08 Focus. Right there on the fuel cap, it has the logo for "No E15" (the "E15" in a red circle with a diagonal line through it).

So, here's my question:

If they mandate the increase in ethanol content up to 15%, will this pose any technical issues?

If they mandate the increase in ethanol content up to 15%, will this pose any technical issues?

Who do you want to believe ?

• The government whose limited testing says "It should be okay".
  • The car manufacturer who warranties your vehicle (and is therefore responsible for repairing it if there is a problem)

E15 or E85. I believe the cap on my Escapse states No E85.

Maybe you're right. It may say E85. I was thinking 15% ethanol so figured it said E15.

Didn't have the car with me when I posted, and now it's raining to check.

Edited by exrub

Who do you want to believe ?

• The government whose limited testing says "It should be okay".
  • The car manufacturer who warranties your vehicle (and is therefore responsible for repairing it if there is a problem)

that's actually my concern. if the government is able to mandate the increased ethanol and something goes wrong, what happens repairwise?

E15 is a solution to a purely political problem. We have federal mandates that increasing volumes of ethanol be produced and used in transportation fuels. Problem is that with current use of E85 and E10, we cannot use the federally mandated volumes of ethanol. (most gasoline today includes 5% to 10% ethanol) The feds cannot really increase the use of E85, mostly because of limited distribution, and fuel stations are reluctant to go through the expense of adding E85 storage facilities and pumps. Even with E85 available, many who could use it in their E85 capable vehicles do not due to lower MPG with E85 mostly negating the lower price of E85. And this is with very costly federal subsidies on ethanol blended into motor fuels. Think what the cost per gallon of E85 would be without the subsidies.

So to use up the ethanol that is mandated to be produced, the idea is to require yet another fuel, E15, be offered, with the idea that it will replace E10 in a few years. All this will do is lower overall fuel economy on theexisting fleet and add to maintenance problems for owners and manufacturers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Better would be to roll back the corn subsidies that result in all of the ethanol being made in the first place.

But Iowa has most politicians (both Democrats and Republicans) with presidential aspirations in its pocket on the issue of corn subsidies (McCain was a rare exception).

"House Republicans last month passed legislation that would roll back an Environmental Protection Agency decision to raise the amount of ethanol allowed in motor fuels for newer vehicles to 15% from the current 10%."

THAT is why I vote Republican and buy Fords. And one of the reasons I intend to buy the 5.0 which can use E85

Most, if not all, new gas vehicles should be able to run E15 without any problems. The main issues you see are with rubber and uncoated aluminum parts in older engines beacuse Ethanol is corrosive to uncoated aluminum, and deteriorates some types of rubber.

With that said, MPG's will drop because Ethanol has less power per volume than gasoline.

Is it just me, or does this just seem like a total lose-lose situation? The government first comes up with the CAFE standards that must be met, then they start pushing ethanol in fuel (which in turn will lower the fuel economy of any given vehicle). And on the same hand, consumers will be forced to purchase more fuel, and pay more taxes!

Well, the theory is to move towards more domestic fuel sources and stop sending money for oil to all the extremists in the middle east that want us all dead. I like the concept, I don't like the decrease in mileage and all the subsidies that are required to make ethanol viable...

The one good thing about Ethanol - is it burns cooler and has a higher effective octane making it better for performance (especially in turbo engines) even if it is at the expense of efficiency.

Is it just me, or does this just seem like a total lose-lose situation? The government first comes up with the CAFE standards that must be met, then they start pushing ethanol in fuel (which in turn will lower the fuel economy of any given vehicle). And on the same hand, consumers will be forced to purchase more fuel, and pay more taxes!

I believe the EPA adjusts the flex-fuel MPG numbers for CAFE compliance resulting in a higher CAFE mpg for E-85 vehicles even though their actual MPG is 25% lower.