Ford Idles Plants

Explorer and Taurus are responsible for three shifts at Chicago,

Focus production is up and running at Michigan AP.

Next Fusion is being developed by Ford NA.

New Escape has been confirmed for US production.

And I wouldn't call 58,000 F Trucks last month tokenage, Ford will really struggle with only one plant operating...

The big problem with Hermosillo is that it is running beyond the plant's intended capacity,

meaning they have to expand or build an overflow plant, that should be AAI with Mustang.

That question was addressed to Pipas the other day and he said no second plants for Fusion and Explorer. He further stated that he likes the problem of selling every Fusion and Explorer that they make within days or most month. He said the days of making one product at two plants and then putting tons of cash on hood to move them is over.

Ford resale value has taken a dramatic turn for the better thanks to these limits on production and incentives. My Dad traded in his 2009 Fusion, paid $23K BEFORE incentives and Z-Plan ($20K afterwards), sold it for $16,500 2.5 years later with 40K miles. NEVER seen a Ford hold resale value like that, amazing!

My 2007 Lincoln MKX...owed $21K after 38 month lease, sold it for $28K with 22,000 miles. NEVER had that happen to me before with a Lincoln lease, normally the car is worth less than I owe so I never bother buying it to sell it.

Edited by BORG

Ford bases its inventory plans on "Days Supply" so if Mustang is at 116 days supply that would certainly explain why the Flat Rock plant will be down next week. In additon, since there is no Mustang wholesale or allocation plan for May production I'd expect there to be a lot more down time. No wonder Ford is running all those Mustang TV commercials. I'd just like to know where all this inventory is as our store has only two Mustangs in stock and now won't see any until June at least. For us and many other dealers in the northern part of the USA Mustang sales are traditionally seasonal and we can't get cars! Hopefully Ford will expedite the retail orders so those customers won't have to wait any longer than necessary. In the meantime, I'm getting awfully tired of passing Camaro's on the road every day and not having enough Mustang inventory.

Ford also announced its closing LAP this month for one week because of slow Super Duty sales and probably conserving parts. Gas hit $3.75/gallon today in Metro Detroit today and up over 7 cents for week. This will soon start impacting truck sales big time. The new Focus is sure hitting the market at the right time. I notice also around here Fusion is in short supply.

Ford resale value has taken a dramatic turn for the better thanks to these limits on production and incentives. My Dad traded in his 2009 Fusion, paid $23K BEFORE incentives and Z-Plan ($20K afterwards), sold it for $16,500 2.5 years later with 40K miles. NEVER seen a Ford hold resale value like that, amazing!

My 2007 Lincoln MKX...owed $21K after 38 month lease, sold it for $28K with 22,000 miles. NEVER had that happen to me before with a Lincoln lease, normally the car is worth less than I owe so I never bother buying it to sell it.

It seems like resale value on just about all Fords are going up. I looked up what my 2002 Taurus SES is going for on Auto Trader and average price on over 100 of them was over $8000. Many had more miles than mine. Way more. Mine has only 39,000 miles and is like new. A rising tide raises all ships. Good used cars, especially Fords now enjoy premium prices like never before it seems.

It seems like resale value on just about all Fords are going up. I looked up what my 2002 Taurus SES is going for on Auto Trader and average price on over 100 of them was over $8000. Many had more miles than mine. Way more. Mine has only 39,000 miles and is like new. A rising tide raises all ships. Good used cars, especially Fords now enjoy premium prices like never before it seems.

Great news and I hope Ford keeps sticking to the plan, a lot of people thought they would go

under after mortgaging everything and started closing down plants and paying people to leave.

My, what a difference four years makes, the money just seems to be sticking to Ford these days...

Ford also announced its closing LAP this month for one week because of slow Super Duty sales and probably conserving parts. Gas hit $3.75/gallon today in Metro Detroit today and up over 7 cents for week. This will soon start impacting truck sales big time. The new Focus is sure hitting the market at the right time. I notice also around here Fusion is in short supply.

I'm sure F-150 sales will suffer, but the V-6 models should do well. Ford will sell every Fiesta, Focus, Fusion and Expy that they can make. Fuel efficient Tauras PI could have an impact. Ford will make money with high gas prices. Maybe do even better?

. I looked up what my 2002 Taurus SES is going for on Auto Trader and average price on over 100 of them was over $8000. Many had more miles than mine. Way more. Mine has only 39,000 miles and is like new. A rising tide raises all ships. Good used cars, especially Fords now enjoy premium prices like never before it seems.

:hysterical:

KBB lists a 2002 Taurus SES in "Excellent" condition with 39,000 miles in a Detroit zipcode with a retail value of $7330. The most expensive 2002 Taurus listed on Auto Trader within 25 miles of Detroit was $6497.

:headscratch:

Sorry, I meant the KTP as LAP is being retooled and making nothing right now.

Huh?

Ford Motor Co. will have to shutter its first plants next week due to parts shortages related to the Japanese earthquake and tsunami last month. During a sales call today, Ford sales analyst George Pipas said the Louisville, Ky., plant will be idled next week due to a parts shortage. He declined to identify the part. The plant makes F-Series Super Duty pickups as well as the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110401/AUTO01/104010438/Ford-to-idle-first-plants-over-parts-shortage-due-to-Japan-quake#ixzz1IZLF59dT

KBB lists a 2002 Taurus SES in "Excellent" condition with 39,000 miles in a Detroit zipcode with a retail value of $7330. The most expensive 2002 Taurus listed on Auto Trader within 25 miles of Detroit was $6497.

Those are still good numbers for the old version of the taurus. When I traded in my '99 wagon for my 09 ranger I got $100.

It had 140k but was in great shape.

Having owned fords all my life I was just happy they took it, so things are looking up.

Those are still good numbers for the old version of the taurus. When I traded in my '99 wagon for my 09 ranger I got $100.

It had 140k but was in great shape.

Having owned fords all my life I was just happy they took it, so things are looking up.

More than I got for my Mazda6 on trade-in, for sure. Of course, mine had 130,000+ miles on it and it had a 5-speed manual working against it.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110401/AUTO01/104010438/1361/Ford-to-idle-first-plants-over-parts-shortage-due-to-Japan-quake

I wonder if Ford, and other manufacturers might consider bringing more work back on-shore? Maybe even in-house.

According to some scientists forecast that there will be even bigger quaker hit Japan in the future. If this is true, more manufacture might consider bringing more work back on-shore. Even Toyota may also do so.

http://www.moneynews.com/Companies/US-Japan-Earthquake-Toyota/2011/04/04/id/391704

Edited by weiweishen

According to some scientists forecast that there will be even bigger quaker hit Japan in the future. If this is true, more manufacture might consider bringing more work back on-shore. Even Toyota may also do so.

I'm sure if you wait long enought they'll be right....but I doubt its gonna happen in the next 5 years...

My search on Auto Trader was a few days ago and I used 300 miles instead of 25 miles. I didn't spot one Taurus for 2002 in three pages of looking that was under $7,000 and many were way over $8,000 and a few over $9,000. I imagine the selling price would be 10% lower. I know I used 500 miles in my search for my Boxster with prices all over the place. I ended up buying one after a year of looking at Maple Hill Auto Group in Kalamazoo, MI. Asking price was $16,400 and ended up getting it for $15,300 as they included the PPI I paid for in final price and put on new top, new water pump, auto temp module, and included oil change and coolant flush. Also included two month limited warranty. So yeah you can dicker quite a bit. I looked up price on my Taurus SES Sport on Kelly Blue Book over two years ago and price they said was around $7,500, and they don't know what the SES Sport is. So I was surprsed to see prices holding up so well. Ford didn't make a lot of Sports that year that included special floor mats, spoiler, special alloy wheels, and a few other features like color coded front and rear fascia instead of chrome. I believe the Sport package was an extra $1,000 or so. My Taurus listed for $24,000 and my Boxster listed for $49,000.

My search on Auto Trader was a few days ago and I used 300 miles instead of 25 miles. I didn't spot one Taurus for 2002 in three pages of looking that was under $7,000 and many were way over $8,000 and a few over $9,000. I imagine the selling price would be 10% lower. I know I used 500 miles in my search for my Boxster with prices all over the place. I ended up buying one after a year of looking at Maple Hill Auto Group in Kalamazoo, MI. Asking price was $16,400 and ended up getting it for $15,300 as they included the PPI I paid for in final price and put on new top, new water pump, auto temp module, and included oil change and coolant flush. Also included two month limited warranty. So yeah you can dicker quite a bit. I looked up price on my Taurus SES Sport on Kelly Blue Book over two years ago and price they said was around $7,500, and they don't know what the SES Sport is. So I was surprsed to see prices holding up so well. Ford didn't make a lot of Sports that year that included special floor mats, spoiler, special alloy wheels, and a few other features like color coded front and rear fascia instead of chrome. I believe the Sport package was an extra $1,000 or so. My Taurus listed for $24,000 and my Boxster listed for $49,000.

In fact, I'll take that back. Have the original sticker right in front of me that I will give to new owner when I sell. Base price was $22,000 with DOHC 24 valver. Sun roof was no extra charge that year. Only options were sport edition package for $290 and luxury covenience group with power heated mirrors, puddle lamps, auto dimming mirror with compass for $185. Including destination charges, total was $23,100. Standard on SES for 2002 was 24 valve 3.0 V6, power driver seat, 5 spoke painted aluminum wheels with Ford logo in middle for Sport edition only, rear spoiler, wheel ABS, and of course auto trans. Vehicle has 39,500 miles, paint excellent with no rust, and very slight ding on right side rear door that is barely noticeable to only me probably. A great vehicle and still performs like new. Still would make a good downpayment on a second year 2013 Focus.