Ford may switch police cars to new 2013 Taurus version

Terrible article.....thinks the vehicle is already being delivered.....stupid statement that says a few to no vehicles being delivered. How about no vehicles being delivered. Also AWD is standard, so not sure what the front drive crack is about. Poorly researched article, and I doubt any Ford Spokesman compared it to, or even called it a Taurus.

Terrible article.....thinks the vehicle is already being delivered.....stupid statement that says a few to no vehicles being delivered. How about no vehicles being delivered. Also AWD is standard, so not sure what the front drive crack is about. Poorly researched article, and I doubt any Ford Spokesman compared it to, or even called it a Taurus.

Agreed... Terrible article and poorly researched. Ford hasn't even published the Taurus Police Interceptor Order Guide so there are no vehicles ordered yet, let alone produced for delivery to anyone. Crown Victoria PI production doesn't end until August so it wouldn't be a stretch to think that they'd end up introducing the new Taurus PI as a 2013 MY vehicle. It's also not a stretch to realize that a lot of police departments are going to be disappointed when the realize that they can no longer order the Crown Victoria PI. In addition, most government agencies operate on a fiscal budget year which makes a difference as to when they place vehicle orders, especially police units.

I wonder if they would keep the "old skin" to further differentiate the PI and regular Taurus, just so the Taurus doesn't become known as a "police car", which I think has a possibility of reducing it's desirability and maybe resale value if used up PI's are being auctioned off for dirt cheap. I also wonder, if GRWD does become a reality and Ford gets a 4 door sedan, be a T-bird or a Falcon, if it'll then become the police unit and if so does this then make the Taurus PI a stop gap??

After seeing the 2013 Taurus today....there is no sheetmetal changes in the car..its a new front fascia/slightly different headlights and minor trim changes to the rear of the car. Keeping the older parts in production wouldn't cost as much as new stampings would cost.

From what I understand, the Police Interceptor goes into production in November and the 2013 Taurus early next year.

My link

The engine improvements will be welcomed, but I was hoping that they would at least keep the "yesteryear" look to the Cops, and let the new styled Taurus soldier on to consumers.

I don't think it matters so much.

My thought is this is the last freshening we'll see on the D3 Taurus and when the next generation is developed in a few years, presumably off of the CD4, the present Taurus will be left as a vestigial PI only. Much in the same manner as the CVPI.

AWD is standard on the Taurus PI?

And there are sheet-metal changes to the 2013 Taurus. The hood and trunk-lid are all new (which qualifies as sheet-metal).

Yes, according to the Ford Fleet site, it is standard. Ordering is supposed to start in July.

Also, no doubt Police Departments are disappointed in the fact that change will have to occur. Its the same as the change from revolvers to semi automatics, having long guns in the cars, because we are being shot at with AK-47's..... Computers in the cars and the whole nine yards. I think we will have to adapt and move on. Some will have to change quicker than others, its no rush. However, in the end, the Crown is dead, and we all have to move on. I am sorry the STAP plant could not get another product, and I do wish Ford would have invested in the platform. However, in the end Ford is in the business to make money, and they made a decision to move on. Right or wrong, their decision, and its time to move forward.

Edited by hawaiicarguy