Small pickups

toddwxyz

A year ago, I was on safari in South Africa and rode in the outfitters vehicle, a new Ford Ranger with a diesel and 6 speed manual, 4WD. Solid, good acceleration. Would love to see that in the US. Would replace my F-150 without hesitation.

Good to hear. Minus the diesel, I would buy the same thing.

I was thinking about this the other day. In 2009 F series sales dropped below 500K when they had been over 1M in 2004. This left a lot of excess plant capacity I assume. Adding a Ranger at that time wasn't smart.

But now that F series is approaching 800K again and looks to continue growing with a new SD on the way they have to be getting close to factory capacity, so adding Ranger from another plant makes more sense to gain incremental sales.

Just a thought about what is different now vs. 5-8 years ago.

I was thinking about this the other day. In 2009 F series sales dropped below 500K when they had been over 1M in 2004. This left a lot of excess plant capacity I assume. Adding a Ranger at that time wasn't smart.

But now that F series is approaching 800K again and looks to continue growing with a new SD on the way they have to be getting close to factory capacity, so adding Ranger from another plant makes more sense to gain incremental sales.

Just a thought about what is different now vs. 5-8 years ago.

You know, that's a very good point. I would expect F-Series sales to sell 850-900k next year, and with the Expedition and Navigator taking up some sales from KTP (they weren't there in '04-'05, were they?), they will likely be about tapped out on F-Series production. Having a small truck will likely absorb some of those F-Series sales, and also have Ford set up for when gas prices spike back up again.

Small truck sales didn't spike when gas went up last time so I don't think that would necessarily trigger more Ranger sales. Unless they come up with some super high mpg models - much higher than the current Ranger.

1 - The small trucks available were really crappy, with not much better fuel economy than the full-sizers

2 - I think the US Ranger will get better fuel economy than the current Ranger, with a significant improvement over the F150.

I didn't realize they were still offering SE models with at least some options with the 2.5L. Good to know.

My 2007 Milan has the V6, but after riding in several First Gen Fusions/Milans I wish I had order the 2.5L Plenty enough power for me.

Sadly, the manual transmission is gone. Several people I know had very positive comments on the 2.5L 5 (6?) speed manual combination.

My 2007 Milan has the V6, but after riding in several First Gen Fusions/Milans I wish I had order the 2.5L Plenty enough power for me.

Sadly, the manual transmission is gone. Several people I know had very positive comments on the 2.5L 5 (6?) speed manual combination.

I had a 2006 3.0L Fusion and wished I had gotten the 2.5L every time I filled up the tank. So naturally I replaced it with a 2013 2.0LEB Titanium. But now the mpg doesn't bother me.

I had a 2006 3.0L Fusion and wished I had gotten the 2.5L every time I filled up the tank. So naturally I replaced it with a 2013 2.0LEB Titanium. But now the mpg doesn't bother me.

Maybe it has something to do with sub-$2/gallon gas. :)

You haven't wished for better MPG until you've had to swipe your credit card again because the $100 limit on the pump just isn't quite enough.

Edited by fordmantpw

My dad has a '14 with the 1.6/6-speed manual and has nothing but good things to say about it. I've driven it a few times as well and I love it too.

• 3 months later...

My uncle is driving a 2015 Colorado and it is a great little truck, not to small but not a full size pick up neither. I think there is a market for Ford to bring something out.

I know fuel economy and price on the F150 is similar to some other small trucks, but some people just don't want the size of an f150. Like saying why pay 50k for mustang when you can get a very nice f150 of that price.