Dual clutch transmission

saltracer

Now that a few users have their new toys, does anyone have any concerns or problems with the dual clutch transmission?

When the Fiesta first came out it seems a few people were having concerns with it..

Thanks,

Howard

No problems here. I rarely used the "gate shift" in my Fusion Sport but I use the shift button in my Focus almost exclusively. The only thing that I've noticed is that first gear is very low; you have shift quickly or you'll be hitting 5K RPM very soon. To sum up, I like the the dual clutch better than I expected.

When we first got our Focus (June 7th) I used the the auto 6 speed buttons to shift. My wife used the D shift and she said it liked to hunt for gears, but last week it went into this lag at take off and just couldn't find 1st gear.It does the lag when using the manual also. This is unacceptable as to pulling out into traffic. I took it up to the Ford dealer Monday and they updated the transmission as our Focus was built in late March and they had a update for May build and beyond. They reprogrammed both ECM and PCM as told to me from the tranny mechanic. It still does not work properly, and Ford knows about this and no fix as of yet.

This dual clutch transmission only suppose to learn your driving habits when using D selector only, 6 sp buttons are manual only, as to Ford documentation. Dual solenoids are not responding to your foot pedal, all electric controls, not sure as to this gas pedal being wireless. Whatever the case, a fix is needed ASAP...

Not really concerns or problems per se. Just some observations:

In "D", the 2>3 shift is sometimes rough, especially if you're trying to economize by using a light foot. Being a little more aggressive with the throttle seems to help but feels like you're undermining the goal of achieving your best fuel mileage. Most annoyingly though, the trans occasionally wants to get to 6th gear waaaay too soon. It's almost like it upshifts from third to sixth, leaving nothing under the go-pedal and consequently forces you to practically floor it to force a downshift. This behavior is random, making it all the more irritating. Bugs the crap out of me when it happens.

On the plus side, the PowerShift's manual mode is a genuine blast. Keeping this engine in the sweet spot of its torque curve is easy and rewarding in M mode. Rips shifts off pretty darn fast and despite what the auto rag critics say, I think the toggle button is actually more fun than a manumatic shift gate.

• Like 1

I think the toggle button is actually more fun than a manumatic shift gate.

Have to agree with you there, what really makes me chuckle is when the "journalists" bemoan the lack of shift paddles. I mean really, what did we do before then, rowed the funny stick popping up out of the floor, with THREE pedals no less.... :shift:

Edited by Tiberius1701

We have a little over 700 miles on ours and the tranny has been very smooth an seamless. Give it a little gas and it runs up through the gears like a manual with nice firm shifts, readily downshifts when you give it a little more throttle and in most cases you have no idea what gear it is in but the car immediately responds to throttle changes. I find no reason to use the select shift buttons (also didn't find the auto stick in our PT to be any more than a gimmick either).

After I ordered the car I started seeing some complaints on the various forums I signed onto and have been particularly aware of any idiosyncrasies. The only thing I have noticed is if you start to pull away from a stop with very light throttle it starts in second gear and then if you nail it there is a very slight hesitation while it downshifts back to first. If I hadn't read about problems I would never have given it a second thought..

The tranny is doing what it is supposed to do; the 700 miles has all been suburban driving and the car has been averaging 35 mpg.

I like the PowerShift transmission reasonably well. For an automatic, it's great. However, I'm a die-hard manual transmission guy, and as a result, I do have some nit-picks with it. I've had no problems, though, and I'm hopeful it will be a reliable transmission.

My beefs are: (1) lack of paddle shifts on the wheel or steering column where they belong. I sure hope the ST has them there when you opt for the PowerShift (if they offer the PowerShift in the ST, which seems to be the latest rumor). (2) The manual mode is not truly manual. It will still shift for me when I don't want it to, although it's better than I first thought it was. If I manually shift to say, third gear, and then floor it, the car will downshift, assuming I want to accelerate as quickly as possible. Not so. With a true manual, I will often leave it in a bit taller gear and mash the pedal, to get just the acceleration I want without high RPM, which is both harder on the engine and worse for fuel efficiency. The most fuel efficient running in standard internal combustion engines is wide-open throttle, low RPM. This minimize pumping losses in the engine. The only time I want the manual shift mode shifting for me is when I'm banging into the rev limiter (actually, I'd even rather it let me do that, but I can understand it shifting there for me). As long as the transmission shifts for me in any other instances, it's not a true manual mode.

• Like 1

It will still shift for me when I don't want it to, although it's better than I first thought it was. If I manually shift to say, third gear, and then floor it, the car will downshift, assuming I want to accelerate as quickly as possible. Not so. With a true manual, I will often leave it in a bit taller gear and mash the pedal, to get just the acceleration I want without high RPM, which is both harder on the engine and worse for fuel efficiency.

The only time I want the manual shift mode shifting for me is when I'm banging into the rev limiter (actually, I'd even rather it let me do that, but I can understand it shifting there for me). As long as the transmission shifts for me in any other instances, it's not a true manual mode.

This is not how it is supposed to work. Once you're in manual mode (you've put it in S and hit one of the shift buttons) it should only upshift if you're at redline and it should only downshift when you come to a stop or almost to a stop and it will downshift to keep the engine from stalling.

It should not downshift in 3rd gear just because you accelerate. My guess is when it does this you are just in Sport mode not manual mode (you haven't touched the shift button yet). If so you should report that to the dealer.

FYI - my 2000 Lincoln LS was the first Ford with Selectshift and it NEVER shifted for you except when you came to a stop. It would sit there and bang off the rev limiter all day long if you let it. I'm guessing the upshift at red line is either due to customer complaints or to protect the dual clutch tranny.

Edited by akirby

This is not how it is supposed to work. Once you're in manual mode (you've put it in S and hit one of the shift buttons) it should only upshift if you're at redline and it should only downshift when you come to a stop or almost to a stop and it will downshift to keep the engine from stalling.

It should not downshift in 3rd gear just because you accelerate. My guess is when it does this you are just in Sport mode not manual mode (you haven't touched the shift button yet). If so you should report that to the dealer.

FYI - my 2000 Lincoln LS was the first Ford with Selectshift and it NEVER shifted for you except when you came to a stop. It would sit there and bang off the rev limiter all day long if you let it. I'm guessing the upshift at red line is either due to customer complaints or to protect the dual clutch tranny.

I'm absolutely positive this time that I had manually shifted before it downshifted for me. That was the mistake I had made when I thought it was upshifting for me--I hadn't actually pressed a shift button yet. I'm sure I did this time. I'll do more testing, and I guess report it to the dealer, although I suspect I'll get the "deer in the headlight" blank stare.

Another comment. With nearly 1,000 miles on the odo, shift quality in auto seems to be smoother than when brand-spanking new. I recall being somewhat dubious about the tranny the first several weeks but lately, as the miles rack-up, things seem to have improved. I'm definitely not just becoming accustomed to it. Perhaps there is a break-in effect on the clutches. Just sayin'.

• 5 weeks later...

I like the PowerShift transmission reasonably well. For an automatic, it's great. However, I'm a die-hard manual transmission guy, and as a result, I do have some nit-picks with it. I've had no problems, though, and I'm hopeful it will be a reliable transmission.

My beefs are: (1) lack of paddle shifts on the wheel or steering column where they belong. I sure hope the ST has them there when you opt for the PowerShift (if they offer the PowerShift in the ST, which seems to be the latest rumor). (2) The manual mode is not truly manual. It will still shift for me when I don't want it to, although it's better than I first thought it was. If I manually shift to say, third gear, and then floor it, the car will downshift, assuming I want to accelerate as quickly as possible. Not so. With a true manual, I will often leave it in a bit taller gear and mash the pedal, to get just the acceleration I want without high RPM, which is both harder on the engine and worse for fuel efficiency. The most fuel efficient running in standard internal combustion engines is wide-open throttle, low RPM. This minimize pumping losses in the engine. The only time I want the manual shift mode shifting for me is when I'm banging into the rev limiter (actually, I'd even rather it let me do that, but I can understand it shifting there for me). As long as the transmission shifts for me in any other instances, it's not a true manual mode.

In this video , a USA consumer with the new Focus and Powershift is driving in 3rd gear for 1.50 minutes and the tranny does not shift out of 3rd

http://www.youtube.com/user/mercmilan06#p/u/3/-AHdyXPVJeE

If you do not push the +/- selector on the gear shift the transmission is not in select shift mode and the tranny in S mode will rev higher then in D mode but it will not hold specific gears unless the +/- button is pushed while in S mode.

As far as I know the dry clutch DCTs are set up to take over the shifting if too much stress/heat is put on the tranny.

Edited by MKII

One week and 1,200 miles later (can't get out of the damn car) I have to say the shifting is a lot better. At first I too had the dreaded lag at launch but that is so much better now. It seems to be still learning but now that "I" understand what the transmission is doing (it's not an automatic, it's not an automatic, it's not an automatic) I really love it. Patience is key to allowing this to become educated to what you're doing as a driver. A++ for this one Ford!

(why didn't the dealer tell me this about the car??)

In this video , a USA consumer with the new Focus and Powershift is driving in 3rd gear for 1.50 minutes and the tranny does not shift out of 3rd

http://www.youtube.com/user/mercmilan06#p/u/3/-AHdyXPVJeE

If you do not push the +/- selector on the gear shift the transmission is not in select shift mode and the tranny in S mode will rev higher then in D mode but it will not hold specific gears unless the +/- button is pushed while in S mode.

As far as I know the dry clutch DCTs are set up to take over the shifting if too much stress/heat is put on the tranny.

Yep, but it will still shift for you even after you press those buttons. I'm surprised I've heard of no one else who's noticed this. It's easily repeatable on my Focus, and I have to think every one of them will do this. Put your car into a gear that puts it in a relaxed cruise, say 3rd gear at 30 mph, then mash the gas pedal. It will downshift for me every time. Therefor, it's not a true manual mode.

Yep, but it will still shift for you even after you press those buttons. I'm surprised I've heard of no one else who's noticed this. It's easily repeatable on my Focus, and I have to think every one of them will do this. Put your car into a gear that puts it in a relaxed cruise, say 3rd gear at 30 mph, then mash the gas pedal. It will downshift for me every time. Therefor, it's not a true manual mode.

It will downshift and upshift if you only put it in S mode and you do not hit the selectshift buttons.

It is not supposed to downshift after you hit selectshift unless you're coming to a stop and it has to downshift to prevent stalling.

Are you saying that after you use the selectshift buttons to select a gear, then accelerate - that it downshifts automatically?

It will downshift and upshift if you only put it in S mode and you do not hit the selectshift buttons.

It is not supposed to downshift after you hit selectshift unless you're coming to a stop and it has to downshift to prevent stalling.

Are you saying that after you use the selectshift buttons to select a gear, then accelerate - that it downshifts automatically?

That's exactly what I'm saying, and it's easily reproducible for me. For most typical drivers, I'm sure this transmission is just fine, but for those of us who are enthusiasts and long-time manual transmission drivers, it's a disappointment. It could have been so much more, and still retained the fuel sipping "D" mode. I can even live with (begrudgingly) the shift buttons on the console shifter rather than on the wheel or column where they belong, but the shift functionality is not as good as it could be. It's also frustrating how slow D mode is to downshift when I plant my right foot to the floor. Regardless of fuel sipping programming, it should be smart enough, and quick enough, to recognize that as, "Oh, he *really* wants to get moving *now*, so I'll downshift immediately two gears." Some other dual-clutch transmissions do this exceptionally well--so much so that they beat an identical car with a manual transmission and a professional driver around a track. Ford could have done better with the programming.

Having said all of that, the only reason I gripe so much about MFT issues and the PowerShift transmission is because the car is so exceptionally good in all other areas. I love my new Focus, including MFT. The quality of the rest of the car just makes these two issues stand out more.

• 2 weeks later...

That's exactly what I'm saying, and it's easily reproducible for me.

I finally had a chance to test this and you're right - if you're using selectshift mode and you're in 3rd gear crusing along and stab the throttle - it downshifts to 2nd gear, and this isn't a case where the tranny would be bogging down so according to the manual it shouldn't be downshifting.

• 1 month later...

I'm just over 7000 miles and the transmission is still noisy, and the car shudders often. I've taken it to Ford and had the shop foreman ride with me. He informed me that the rattling noise when it shifts gears is the synchros in the clutch and it's normal as well. There's no reason for a 22K car to drive like this. It's getting traded ASAP.

I'm just over 7000 miles and the transmission is still noisy, and the car shudders often. I've taken it to Ford and had the shop foreman ride with me. He informed me that the rattling noise when it shifts gears is the synchros in the clutch and it's normal as well. There's no reason for a 22K car to drive like this. It's getting traded ASAP.

Did you ask for a test drive in another one for comparison?

I hope you test drive several cars before you buy.. Would really like to hear your reviews.