Widening GM Truck Supply Looks Like 2008 Again

TomServo92

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh a while back and he said GM is making silverados just to keep the unions working despite the low demand for them. Yeah, bad habits.

Well look at that, they did overproduce!!!

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/08/gm-reduces-truck-production-due-to.html

GM is full of it so I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to it than we will ever know. Just look at how they tried to play the public as fools with the Volt demand.

Ramp up production to 60,000 units per year, supplies are down...

http://www.freep.com/article/20110801/BLOG40/110801051/1014/rss13

125 units/month * 12months/year = A company heading towards disaster.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2011/08/03/chevy-volts-arent-selling-like-ipads/

In 2WD guise, the Silverado and the F150 get exactly the same MPGs... but the 5.3 is down on power and torque to the 5.0.

Hard to believe that the 5.3 is the 3rd most powerful engine available in the Silverado... they don't even mention the 4.3L V6 or the 4.8L V8. It's almost like they're... ashamed of them. :stirpot:

GM doesn't like to mentioning the 5.3 either.....

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh a while back and he said GM is making silverados just to keep the unions working despite the low demand for them. Yeah, bad habits.

Yeah, everything Rush says is true. I sincerely hope you don't rely on him for accurate news/viewpoints everyday.

Yeah, everything Rush says is true. I sincerely hope you don't rely on him for accurate news/viewpoints everyday.

GM's overproduction of trucks was reported on other news outlets, too - that is probably where Limbaugh picked up the story. The part about the unions was undoubtedly his spin on the story.

The important part is that this reeks of the "Old GM," and suggests that critical lessons were not learned on the road to the government bailout and bankruptcy.

Given that GM has supposedly pushed back introduction of a new generation of full-size trucks, this will probably only get worse in the coming months. If the economy continues to sputter along, what customers remain will increasingly gravitate to the most up-to-date trucks, which spells even more trouble for the General.

Edited by grbeck

Given that GM has supposedly pushed back introduction of a new generation of full-size trucks, this will probably only get worse in the coming months. If the economy continues to sputter along, what customers remain will increasingly gravitate to the most up-to-date trucks, which spells even more trouble for the General.

Sounds like round 2 of bailouts for GM..

It's all part of their master plan. They think the UAW is going to strike against them - so they are building up their inventory in anticipation.

Didn't the bailout require the UAW to adopt a "no strike" policy towards GM and Chrysler for a certain number of years? Or am I just imagining this?

Edited by grbeck

Didn't the bailout require the UAW to adopt a "no strike" policy towards GM and Chrysler for a certain number of years? Or am I just imagining this?

Nope, this is correct. The UAW cannot strike against New GM or FIASCO, although I can't for the life of me figure out how long the ban lasts... :reading: