So the UAW targets ford

how many plants does ford close?...thats the only real issue here besides expanding in india or china or vietnam or malaysia or everywhere else but here..i dont think this helps matters at all..

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/collision-course-auto-heads-says-uaw-union-will-go-after-ford/

Stock lost 500 points, US debts are downgraded, we are directly heading to deeper recession. Huge layoff will come soon. So what do UAW want? raise or job security.

I don't understand the fear behind the UAW approaching Ford first, both have achieved a lot over the past five years,

something like that only happens when their is goodwill on both sides and a true desire to seek a workable contract.

I think it's GM and Chrysler who should be worried, their relationship with the UAW is less than stellar....

I'm an emplyee. And I tell you, the general mood on the floor is a positive one. Not a " grab the pitchforks and torches and let's strike and burn this mother&$?$&@ down". Despite what you may read in the employee forums( they definatly don't represent the majority btw), most of us just want to keep working and for Ford to stay profitable. We all understand that the days of yearly raises are probably behind us. We live in this world too, we understand it's rough economic times and we have zero interest in adding fuel to the fire. We just want to keep working.

• Like 6

I'm an emplyee. And I tell you, the general mood on the floor is a positive one. Not a " grab the pitchforks and torches and let's strike and burn this mother&$?{:content:}amp;@ down". Despite what you may read in the employee forums( they definatly don't represent the majority btw), most of us just want to keep working and for Ford to stay profitable. We all understand that the days of yearly raises are probably behind us. We live in this world too, we understand it's rough economic times and we have zero interest in adding fuel to the fire. We just want to keep working.

Well said.

this has to be resolved quickly, the UAW's goal is to organize a transplants, and bolster its numbers, ford is willing to invest in America, and add jobs, if the terms are reasonable.

I'm an emplyee. And I tell you, the general mood on the floor is a positive one. Not a " grab the pitchforks and torches and let's strike and burn this mother&$?$&@ down". Despite what you may read in the employee forums( they definatly don't represent the majority btw), most of us just want to keep working and for Ford to stay profitable. We all understand that the days of yearly raises are probably behind us. We live in this world too, we understand it's rough economic times and we have zero interest in adding fuel to the fire. We just want to keep working.

Thank you. It's nice to hear this.

BTW, great job to whoever was involved in building my 2012 Focus! What a great car!

Edited by twmalonehunter

I'm an emplyee. And I tell you, the general mood on the floor is a positive one. Not a " grab the pitchforks and torches and let's strike and burn this mother&$?{:content:}amp;@ down". Despite what you may read in the employee forums( they definatly don't represent the majority btw), most of us just want to keep working and for Ford to stay profitable. We all understand that the days of yearly raises are probably behind us. We live in this world too, we understand it's rough economic times and we have zero interest in adding fuel to the fire. We just want to keep working.

Unfortunately, it's those that don't represent the majority that seem to be more vocal and get selected out as the "voice" of the majority :( At least if the mood is positive, then that's a great thing for any work environment.

I thought Ford and the UAW negotiations already started on July 29th: Ford Media

Unfortunately, it's those that don't represent the majority that seem to be more vocal and get selected out as the "voice" of the majority :( At least if the mood is positive, then that's a great thing for any work environment.

I thought Ford and the UAW negotiations already started on July 29th: Ford Media

That was just a media event for everyone to look prim and proper and show off their big egos...

Whenever I have read about which automaker the UAW targets for the first contract negotiations, it is usually mentioned that each automaker wants to be the first, because the first contract sets the pattern that the UAW wants to get with the others. Thus, the first automaker may give things to the UAW that are cheap for them to give, but not so cheap for the other automakers, or get things from the UAW that are valuable for them to get, but not so valuable for the other automakers.

Ordinarily, yes, companies want to be the target.

What's different is that Bob King (who used to head the Ford division) has been particularly truculent, and Ford does not have the no-strike clause in its contract that GM & Chrysler have in theirs, nor does the UAW have a direct ownership stake in Ford.

The wise thing for King & Co. would be to negotiate some concessions on COLA and declare victory. Ford, I believe, is prepared to offer a bonus program that's similar to the white collar bonus program, and they're probably prepared to guarantee product for plants, but I don't think much else is on the table. GEN is gone for good, two tier pay is here to stay.

Ordinarily, yes, companies want to be the target.

What's different is that Bob King (who used to head the Ford division) has been particularly truculent, and Ford does not have the no-strike clause in its contract that GM & Chrysler have in theirs, nor does the UAW have a direct ownership stake in Ford.

The wise thing for King & Co. would be to negotiate some concessions on COLA and declare victory. Ford, I believe, is prepared to offer a bonus program that's similar to the white collar bonus program, and they're probably prepared to guarantee product for plants, but I don't think much else is on the table. GEN is gone for good, two tier pay is here to stay.

I sure hope that Ford negotiates and settles on the points you raised

because I get the feeling that "bonus program" is not in GM's vocabulary.......

how many plants does ford close?...thats the only real issue here besides expanding in india or china or vietnam or malaysia or everywhere else but here..i dont think this helps matters at all..

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/collision-course-auto-heads-says-uaw-union-will-go-after-ford/

Stock market declines Monday could play a major role in contract negotiation talks between Detroits Big Three automakers and the United Auto Workers union, according to reports.

Aug. 8, The Detroit Free Press: The steep stock market declines over recent days will put pressure on UAW labor negotiators and will force hourly workers to recognize the shaky reality of the nations economy for workers, said Sean McAlinden, senior economist for the Center for Automotive Research.

General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler Group LLC officially started the union contract negotiations, which will set wages for about 112,000 autoworkers, at the end of last month.

During opening ceremonies for the talks, stock options and profit-sharing were among the topics up for discussion.

Both Ford and GM shares today were down about 8 percent, which is worse than the 3.2 percent drop in the overall Dow Jones Industrial Average, while Fiat, which controls Chrysler, was down 14.1 percent.

The Dow fell below 11,000 for the first time since November. The sharp drop extended Wall Street's almost uninterrupted decline since late July, when the Dow was flirting with 13,000.

Investors worried about the slowing U.S. economy, escalating debt problems threatening Europe and the prospect that fear in the markets would reinforce itself, as it did during the financial crisis in the fall of 2008.

Aug. 8, USA Today: The last recession drove GM and Chrysler into bankrutpcy court, and Ford would have ended up there too if it had not been for some admitted luck by CEO Alan Mulally in tapping financial markets to build up cash just as the economy slid. A new recession would cause a lot of damage on sales lots, and traders are worried that double dip is more possible.

Officials for all three companies, along with UAW President Bob King, were optimistic about the talks going smoothly. Many described it as a new era of contract negotiations, as the industry tries to heal its image from the 2009 auto bailout.

The current contracts between the automakers and the UAW expire Sept. 14.

Now it is not the matter of whether we are out of woods yet, it is the matter of another round of lay off ahead of us. Now it really does not matter whether you can strike or not. Enjoy!

Edited by weiweishen