Explorer with 3.5 Ecoboost

harddrive747

I drove a new Explorer and it is a nice SUV. It had the 3.5 V6 under the hood and to me it was a good engine and adequate. However, I didn't like it. It made the SUV feel like the 4.0 that was in the 2010. That is why I went with the 4.6 V8.

I would like to see Ford put the 3.5 EcoBoost engine with 365 horses and 420 lb-ft of torque in it or the one out of the Taurus SHO would be terrific. Anything to give it a bit more punch.

Your wish will more than likely come true...eventually. After all, Ford will be offering the 3.5 EB in the Interceptor version.

Thanks Nick, I hope it will be by the time I'm ready to replace my currently Explorer, but that will be a long time from now, especially since it is barely 2 years old and only has 26,000 on it.

I read somewhere that the engine wouldn't fit in the Explorer's engine bay. Something about the orientation of the engine. Not sure I believe that, so if anyone knows, I'd be interested in hearing.

If it will fit in the Taurus, MKS, Flex & MKT, surely it will fit in an Explorer.

What surprises me is that the 3.5L is still the standard engine, not the 3.7L.

I'm still waiting for some feedback on the 2.0L in the Explorer !

I am too. I'm thinking about the next time I take my truck in for service to take it out for a drive. Since I don't like the current V6, I can pretty much be assured that I won't like the 4-banger.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...