another slap in face for tradesman

makithapn

I couldn’t agree more Empire.

We need to focus on product line commitments, job security and the possibility of getting some work generated with our next National Contract. I hope this is the main emphases with our National Negotiators.

About the Tradesmen working in production with 07 user Seniority Entry date:

Let me ask you a couple questions:

1. Had the IUAW not fixed the contract to allow our Tradesmen to enter into production, what happens to them?

2. What happens if a production member is selected to become an apprentice, what do you think happens to their production seniority?

3. Would production member get the 2007 user entry Seniority date when they graduate to a Journeyman from Apprentice?

Just asking.

Jeff Hodges

Local 600

Dearborn Stamping & DTP Body

• Like 1

give me a break!!! this is the ME ME ME generation.

Many will vote no just to vote no.

They will not take into account the the many plants that need work like AAI and including the ACH plants and Trades working in production.

You are right, they would rather see cola that may pay 5 cents every quarter than bargain to get products in plants and save thousands of jobs

Me, me, me is right and Walkowicz is the leader that has a vendetta against the company that puts us all at risk on our job security.

You lose your job and he retires with his UAW negotiated pension using the simpleminded as pawns

• Like 2

I couldn’t agree more Empire.

We need to focus on product line commitments, job security and the possibility of getting some work generated with our next National Contract. I hope this is the main emphases with our National Negotiators.

About the Tradesmen working in production with 07 user Seniority Entry date:

Let me ask you a couple questions:

1. Had the IUAW not fixed the contract to allow our Tradesmen to enter into production, what happens to them?

2. What happens if a production member is selected to become an apprentice, what do you think happens to their production seniority?

3. Would production member get the 2007 user entry Seniority date when they graduate to a Journeyman from Apprentice?

Just asking.

Jeff Hodges

Local 600

To answer your questions:

1. Then they would have seen their sub weeks and tap weeks go down the drain left with nothing after they are gone...so allowing them to go to production is a good thing even though it sucks

2. Their prod. seniority freezes...like myself i had 6 yrs on the floor before my apprenticeship so when i came back to production i got to keep my seniority...those hired off the street into the trade dont have that luxury so they assume 2007 no matter what

3.Guess i already answered that...with my story above..lol

hope this was helpful....

• Like 1

I love the solidarity of the UAW. Here's what i hear at this place and all over.

1. I'm voting no unless i can kick another person out to the street.

2. I want a wage increase or i'm voting no.

3. I want all my concessions back or i'm voting no.

But rarely have i heard.

1. If they don't commit to giving us enough new product to put everyone back in plants then i'm voting no.

2.I'd like a raise but if they don't give the 2nd tier a big raise i'm voting no.

We should be thinking about everyone and not just what is best for us.

You are spot on Redemtion/Lcdad

Ever find out who posted that terrible letter screwing with the trades working in production?

• Like 1

Many will vote no just to vote no.

They will not take into account the the many plants that need work like AAI and including the ACH plants and Trades working in production.

You are right, they would rather see cola that may pay 5 cents every quarter than bargain to get products in plants and save thousands of jobs

Me, me, me is right and Walkowicz is the leader that has a vendetta against the company that puts us all at risk on our job security.

You lose your job and he retires with his UAW negotiated pension using the simpleminded as pawns

Walkowitz is a joke. Sure he can retire and leave workers with 15 years seniority and less, out of a job. He only cares about himself with no regard to job security.

Just ask the people at DTP how good there local agreement (another joke he negotiated) is and the representation he doesn't apply

Wonder why DTP is the least liked plant? Now you know

Edited by Empire
  • Like 2

Walkowitz is a joke. Sure he can retire and leave workers with 15 years seniority and less, out of a job. He only cares about himself with no regard to job security.

Just ask the people at DTP how good there local agreement (another joke he negotiated) is and the representation he doesn't apply

Wonder why DTP is the least liked plant? Now you know

Walkowitz is a disaster. Don't know how he gets elected. Not in my plant.

• Like 1

I call it the 3 “its”

1. It’s easy to hate,

2. It’s easy to jump on the “hate” wagon.

3. It’s hard for those that follow the first two steps, to tell the truth.

The membership left is the same membership that did what they had to in order to save the companies they work for. Do we deserve to get the concessions back that we gave? Yes we certainly do. But we as a Union must be smart, and our IUAW and Local Leadership must be smart. We can’t accept any formulas that cause us to loss more jobs and close more plants.

With us being just 3 dollars away with labor costs with our competitors, we must start getting the huge gains back that make us stronger as a Unionize Labor movement. These gains I’m speaking of are: Product commitments, Job Security, added membership (getting our kids, and family hired), in sourcing our lost work back to the US, workloads (production standards strengthened), Ergonomics etc.

Trust me, being 3 dollars out is a huge accomplishment and I’m hoping we don’t miss out on the possibility of making huge gains in our contract for it. We as Unionized workers made this possible with the concessions with stepped up to the plate and made happen. Now let’s start demanding the right gains for us as a Union that enable us to be stronger as a whole.

If we gain in the areas that I have listed, then we start having a voice back in our Government, Local – State and Country. We also prove to anyone on the outside looking in, that we care about each other and not just ourselves.

I know that some will take the “me – me “road, it’s been the norm for too long. We need to get back to “we”. Please don’t misunderstand me, I want the same things back that you do, I just think we need priorities our list of demands.

Just my opinion, for what’s its worth.

Jeff Hodges

Local 600

• Like 1

well back in 99 my hire in date it was made perfectly clear to me what happens at lay off.

I accepted that.

working on the line suck's. Not as bad as not working at all though!

we all have our cards though and can pay dues and work out of a trades local if works available!

That's something a production worker layed off to the street CAN'T DO!

Hope for new product!

Edited by lennyzrx
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard, we have been living this nightmare for 2 years now. The sad thing is that Ford don't care what our seniority is or where we are placed, This is all the doing of our beloved union that we pay our union dues to only to have them put a foot in our ass anytime they get a chance.This is all set up to protect the tradesman that have originated at their local. If you come to DTP you will find that there are a number of tradesman working in your trade with a lot less seniority than you. Our union don't want to allow zone bumping rights because they don't want there trades (most of whom have 2000 or less seniority ) bumped to the line with 2007 seniority and on the dreaded C Crew. Hoping once we have enough of us on 1 shift we ought to try to put it to Ford and make them force these assholes into doing the right thing. I happen to agree with another poster on here that we as tradesmen need a different union to represent us because we have no representation.

As the disparity of UAW made components continue to shift to other suppliers (outsourcing), the need for Tradesmen will continue to diminish. Not only has our hope been abandoned by idle promises and union propaganda, but the presedence has been set. The union will not back its tradesmen. This should awaken any trades still working with your tools. You have a large target on your back, and the union is only too happy to turn its back on you. We trades that have been working production for the past couple of years are a window into the future, a test case for the company. With little or no resistance fron the union, its like a shark that smells blood. Its open season on UAW represented trades.

• Like 1

As the disparity of UAW made components continue to shift to other suppliers (outsourcing), the need for Tradesmen will continue to diminish. Not only has our hope been abandoned by idle promises and union propaganda, but the presedence has been set. The union will not back its tradesmen. This should awaken any trades still working with your tools. You have a large target on your back, and the union is only too happy to turn its back on you. We trades that have been working production for the past couple of years are a window into the future, a test case for the company. With little or no resistance fron the union, its like a shark that smells blood. Its open season on UAW represented trades.

What to do with 500 extra trades?

What would you do?

The UAW can only negotiate more products, and investment which naturally brings more production and trades jobs as well as job security.

The UAW has been preemptive in insuring that trades hired off the street had an avenue to keep working through negotiating the ability for trades hired off the street to continue employment in production.

The UAW has been successful in using over 100 trades on the loan program that kept 100 trades out of ILO and Production and earning their skilled wage over the past 2 years as well as stopping outside contracting

I trust the UAW will negotiate a plan for more products and investment as well as a structured plan to return all 500 trades back to the tools in the new agreement.

I could care less about any pay increase in this agreement. The important part of this agreement is more products for our plants and a plan to return trades to their tools.

I know many in the same position as you and I will support any agreement that gets product commitment as well as a trades commitment.

What to do with 500 extra trades?

What would you do?

The UAW can only negotiate more products, and investment which naturally brings more production and trades jobs as well as job security.

The UAW has been preemptive in insuring that trades hired off the street had an avenue to keep working through negotiating the ability for trades hired off the street to continue employment in production.

The UAW has been successful in using over 100 trades on the loan program that kept 100 trades out of ILO and Production and earning their skilled wage over the past 2 years as well as stopping outside contracting

I trust the UAW will negotiate a plan for more products and investment as well as a structured plan to return all 500 trades back to the tools in the new agreement.

I could care less about any pay increase in this agreement. The important part of this agreement is more products for our plants and a plan to return trades to their tools.

I know many in the same position as you and I will support any agreement that gets product commitment as well as a trades commitment.

Edited by toolmandano
  • Like 2

The true problem came in when the union sold the membership the (COA) Competitive Operating Agreement. That gave the company free reign to make unprecedented changes that Im sure the union didnt even see coming. Closed plants, lost products, and of course layed off and displaced employees production and skilled alike.

The company knew from the onset of the COA what its end goals were, and Im sure they have not reached their satisfaction yet. The union, unprepared and trusting took this COA to the membership, sold it to us and we have been dealing with the repercussions ever since. Most of the topics on this forum are a direct result of the COA.

The only way for the union to save face is to negotiate an immediate cross training program, give trades their pay (and back pay) and or lucrative early retirement or buyout packages. Adding product is a foolish dream, if anything the company is looking to reduce not produce. Remember the last contract ratified in 2007? By March of 2008 it was whipsawed and all gains were lost along with the devastation that has been going on throughout ford motor company.

The bargaining and skilled representatives from the uaw should hang their heads in shame for what they have allowed to happen. However there is one one saying that holds true: IF YOU FUCK ENOUGH PEOPLE, YOU EVENTUALLY FUCK YOURSELF. Hang on to your ass this upcoming contract, as you know its not worth the paper it is printed on.

• Like 1

One problem gentlemen is the fact that we have almost 500 tradesmen out of trade is due to the last concessions we passed. After the last round of buyouts instead of backfilling those openings Ford cut those spots (almost 450 of them) and the UAW did nothing, I got the same old "Its their business they can do what they want" bit, because they were opening the contract and going to agree to concessions. So no wonder why so many of us are out of trade. I feel for my old friends at Saline cause if this sale goes through there where are those trades gonna go? So the numbers are gonna keep getting bigger and bigger. Where is it gonna end UAW???? I sure hope all of you on the national negotiators are at least getting our rate of pay back in this contract so us being in prod. hurts the company a little(albeit not much lol) because right now there is no incentive to get us back to tools cause they dont care about us complaining they just keep adding to the numbers. Me and a couple of others were the first tradesmen to arrive at the Rouge and the company and UAW didnt even know what to do I got told all kinds of different things from both sides and it changed from week to week from" you gave up your trade" to "you wont be in production more than 2yrs"...well 3yrs and still here in prod. Now we have at least 100 or better trades in the Rouge complex...and the numbers keep climbing ask the tradesmen who got reduced from the frame plant but i bet they are at least making trade wage unlike the rest of us. All u active tradesmen better take some time and start caring cause this could be u!! Maybe stop worrying about your 7/12s and start seeing the big picture, FORD WANTS TO GET RID OF U!!! Start seeing what you can do to help bring back tradesmen from production make some calls, talk to your committeemen, make some noise instead of watching out for your own ass...this is a union right??? Because if you keep up with the" i just want my overtime" bit i may be seeing you working next to me on the line sooner than you maybe realize. Keep that in mind.

Ok help me understand this, youre saying that adding product is not going to fix the issue of our trades being in production, but paying you an increase in pay will? If there are no products going into the same areas youre speaking of, we are all out of our jobs. So what the hell are you talking about?

We have lost shifts, plants and all do to product. Where are you not grasping this concept? We were going to have more people in the streets (ILO) from both sides if we dont obtain more products. You have bitched and bitched about how the IUAW screwed the trades, yet you have eluded to say it is that youre even in the production workforce from trades.

Wow, talk about the Me Me concept gone wild.

How about we try getting back to the Union concept of looking out for each other, just as the IUAW did for our tradesmen to be picked up in production before all of them were out our nearly out of sub credits.

Jeff Hodges

Local 600

Edited by ReDemption
  • Like 5

Ok help me understand this, you’re saying that adding product is not going to fix the issue of our trades being in production, but paying you an increase in pay will? If there are no products going into the same areas you’re speaking of, we are all out of our jobs. So what the hell are you talking about?

We have lost shifts, plants and all do to product. Where are you not grasping this concept? We were going to have more people in the streets (ILO) from both sides if we don’t obtain more products. You have bitched and bitched about how the IUAW screwed the trades, yet you have eluded to say it is that you’re even in the production workforce from trades.

Wow, talk about the “Me – Me” concept gone wild.

How about we try getting back to the Union concept of looking out for each other, just as the IUAW did for our tradesmen to be picked up in production before all of them were out our nearly out of sub credits.

Jeff Hodges

Local 600

I agree Jeff. We have to fill our plants with work. If we get product in our plants, we have the potential to make the shifts necessary to move the trades from production. Going for a pay increase doesn't make sense as a way to accomplish this goal. It actually seems that it would do the exact opposite.

• Like 3

I guess what Im trying to say is this, I would never dream of pushing for pay increases for only part of the Union workforce or a certain group of members within the Union. We are in this together, in Solidarity and in Union.

Im not in any way shape or form saying that we dont deserve pay increases. However, Im saying that if any increases are obtained, we ALL deserve it. But the cost cannot be more closed plants and more of our brothers and sisters out on the street, including more trades.

That my friend is Union - for Union -about Union.

Jeff Hodges

Local 600

Edited by ReDemption
  • Like 2

I guess what I’m trying to say is this, I would never dream of pushing for pay increases for only part of the Union workforce or a certain group of members within the Union. We are in this together, in Solidarity and in Union.

Im not in any way shape or form saying that we don’t deserve pay increases. However, I’m saying that if any increases are obtained, we ALL deserve it. But the cost cannot be more closed plants and more of our brothers and sisters out on the street, including more trades.

That my friend is Union - for Union -about Union.

Jeff Hodges

Local 600

All I can say is well said Jeff. It's nice to hear from real union people in this site.

• Like 3

Ok help me understand this, you’re saying that adding product is not going to fix the issue of our trades being in production, but paying you an increase in pay will? If there are no products going into the same areas you’re speaking of, we are all out of our jobs. So what the hell are you talking about?

We have lost shifts, plants and all do to product. Where are you not grasping this concept? We were going to have more people in the streets (ILO) from both sides if we don’t obtain more products. You have bitched and bitched about how the IUAW screwed the trades, yet you have eluded to say it is that you’re even in the production workforce from trades.

Wow, talk about the “Me – Me” concept gone wild.

Jeff Hodges

Local 600

Well Jeff let me ask you if Ford adds product are they are gonna put tradesmen on out of the goodness of their heart??? Have they done this yet in production or trades???? Dont hurt yourself thinking about it ill answer it for you...HELL NO!!! They have added product to Van Dyke and Sterling have they added trades or prod....NO. How bout when they added to Romeo....NO again! When are you gonna get a clue FORD DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT US!!!! Prod or trades they dont care if we dont hit them in the pocketbook and its not a "raise" its getting our former wage back i had to take a pay cut. And in case you werent reading i was talking about looking out for each other but that also isnt happening for instance trades who went to Sterling for a "temp" trade job got screwed for a year out of any overtime opportunity while Sterling trades were soaking up OT and did the UAW on the local or national level do anything?? Yep u guessed it NO! They had to put a grievance with the NLB. Here is something else.... where do you get off lecturing me or any tradesmen in production did you have to take a pay cut?..NO, did you have to watch as the only trade offerings in the past three years were only temp offers in which you are at the mercy of the company with no real union representation NO because you dont care your not a tradesman WE ARE!!!! So in the future have some respect and put yourself in our shoes and dont judge so fast like we are all just a bunch of greedy lazy assholes cause you dont know us!

Well Jeff let me ask you if Ford adds product are they are gonna put tradesmen on out of the goodness of their heart??? Have they done this yet in production or trades???? Dont hurt yourself thinking about it ill answer it for you...HELL NO!!! They have added product to Van Dyke and Sterling have they added trades or prod....NO. How bout when they added to Romeo....NO again! When are you gonna get a clue FORD DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT US!!!! Prod or trades they dont care if we dont hit them in the pocketbook and its not a "raise" its getting our former wage back i had to take a pay cut. And in case you werent reading i was talking about looking out for each other but that also isnt happening for instance trades who went to Sterling for a "temp" trade job got screwed for a year out of any overtime opportunity while Sterling trades were soaking up OT and did the UAW on the local or national level do anything?? Yep u guessed it NO! They had to put a grievance with the NLB. Here is something else.... where do you get off lecturing me or any tradesmen in production did you have to take a pay cut?..NO, did you have to watch as the only trade offerings in the past three years were only temp offers in which you are at the mercy of the company with no real union representation NO because you dont care your not a tradesman WE ARE!!!! So in the future have some respect and put yourself in our shoes and dont judge so fast like we are all just a bunch of greedy lazy assholes cause you dont know us!

You could of been put out on ILO and used up all of your sub and tap, how would of liked that pay cut.

• Like 2

You could of been put out on ILO and used up all of your sub and tap, how would of liked that pay cut.

Again someone who doesnt know me if you want to know how i arrived at DTP ask. Dont assume here let me help you.....i left saline due to a pending sale to JC so i came to DTP voluntarily pay cut and all because i had previous production time before my apprenticeship so yea i asked for this for my family and job security...but my trade was put on hold until some positions opened up. But Ford hasnt done that they have been cutting trades even though most locals are doing major OT for their trade. But when they do need extra they dont put on perm. positions just "temp" ones where they dictate how long, no matter what the posting says, for instance if it says 60 days they can keep you for a week and send ya back or keep you for 6 months and not ask you if you want to or not cause you dont matter. And what happens when you get sent back u ask? You get placed in general labor pool wherever they need you not back to your old job or classification if you have one. Where if you get on C crew and can hold other shifts you cant bump till Feb. So you get screwed both ways how would u like that???? So like i told Jeff you dont know us so dont act like you do!

Well Jeff let me ask you if Ford adds product are they are gonna put tradesmen on out of the goodness of their heart???

No they will only put them on as product determines.

Have they done this yet in production or trades????

Sure, permanent jobs, as follows posted just in the past 6 months:

Electricians

Lima – 3

Rouge – 9

LAP – 31

CAP – 20

Brownstown – 1

Pilot Plant – 2

R&E – 14

Woodhaven -1

Livonia -1

ISA – 1

Plummer/Pipefitter

LAP – 4

M/W

LAP – 2

Inspector Tooling Layout

LAP – 5

General Plant Skilled

Chicago Parts – 1

Toolmakers

LAP – 2

Machine Repair

MAP – 2

Woodhaven Stamping – 5

Woodhaven Forge – 1

Welder

CAP – 2

Total = 107 new trades jobs opened and filled

Our Trades Rep also stated that they have Reskilling for Stationary Steam and Electricians totaling 15 openings filled by step 1 of the hierarcy

Total = 122 new trades jobs

Dont hurt yourself thinking about it ill answer it for you...HELL NO!!!

Oh HELL YES !!!! See above

They have added product to Van Dyke and Sterling have they added trades or prod....NO.

There were trades added to Vandyke. Postings that you will not see are RTBU and Step 1. Also zone 2 postings you will not see unless you are in zone 2. There were permanent jobs filled in the past 2 years

How bout when they added to Romeo....NO again!

Romeo was filled within zone 2 excess and Romeo is in trouble with very little work

When are you gonna get a clue FORD DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT US!!!! Prod or trades they dont care if we dont hit them in the pocketbook and its not a "raise" its getting our former wage back i had to take a pay cut.

Getting your wage back is dependent on products negotiated and new product in plants. As you can see above, every posting was because of product gained in the 2007 agreement. Before a posting can go up all in-plant step 1 must be done first. Not only did they return all in-plant trades but the product investment actually added more trades to the unit. A total of 107 new jobs posted just in the past 6 months.

And in case you weren’t reading i was talking about looking out for each other but that also isnt happening for instance trades who went to Sterling for a "temp" trade job got screwed for a year out of any overtime opportunity while Sterling trades were soaking up OT and did the UAW on the local or national level do anything??

There have been temporary jobs tied to projects and construction at many southeast Michigan locations. If not for the IUAW keeping contractors out and our trades in over the past 2 years over 100 trades would have been stuck in ILO or production.

NO, did you have to watch as the only trade offerings in the past three years were only temp offers in which you are at the mercy of the company with no real union representation NO because you dont care your not a tradesman WE ARE!!!!

Wrong answer, see above 122 new permanent job openings just in the past 6 months. Add another 100 for temporary project and construction postings for a total of 222 trades working

So in the future have some respect and put yourself in our shoes and dont judge so fast like we are all just a bunch of greedy lazy assholes cause you dont know us!

No one insinuated trades were greedy, lazy assholes. Just trying to help you understand that we need more investment negotiated in the 2011 agreement to get trades back to their tools. The 2007 investments may still bring more openings. Good chance that MAP, LAP and CAP will add a 3rd shift so the postings should continue as they have for the past 2 years as well as new products that may be negotiated.

We have to stick together and ensure that this agreement has product and investment for all ILO and working in production to have a path back to work and just as important getting product to those plants that will need more investment to save the plant.

Do not underestimate the power of job security. Without jobs we have no ability to build on wages, benefits or pension in the future.

Good luck to all of us that need investment in our plants for job security

Grimshaw

Edited by Grim Reaper
  • Like 3