AdAge Calls Chrysler Dr.Z ads cheesy

Who wants Rams or Dakotas? The Ram is weaker then even Chevrolet's Silverado (not to mention, Ford's F-350 and GMC's Sierra), they're ugly as hell and are expensive! They also don't look good at work, Ford's pickups look majestic at work and make it look easy. The Dakota is a joke. Plain and simple.

Dr. Z is a local celebrity in Detroit...and I think the ad agency fails to realize he isn't one beyond the automotive community ;) I expect this campaign will be gone quicker than the ridiculed "Bold Moves" campaign.

Edited by BORG

Those ads are not only cheesy but are stupid because you can hardly understand him anyhow. The only thing that I think of, when I see any Chrysler product is Hemi. That's it. The rest of it? Well I guess the 300 is nice. That's about it. The Dakota is a hunk of junk and is by now again being outsold by the Ranger. The Ranger is again outselling both the Colorado and the Dakota. How is that for the little truck that could??? The Ram has the Hemi and the Cummins, thats it. It goes to show...even if you have great engines...if you put the engines into a crappy chassis, you still have crap.

Edited by 2005Explorer

BORG in charge of Ford: Would keep Taurus going, with $10K rebates. And the LS priced at $15,999, after the $25K rebate. See how long the Chapter 11 filing would come.

Once we destroy Ford, it's on to GM....Muuuaaahahahahahahaaaa!

Hmm...you know I have been doing a little reading here and there from various sources and maybe someone knows more about this then me...but I have a feeling that DCX might be heading down a path of self destruction much faster then Ford or GM even though they were the media's little darling for awhile. Reports say that sales of DCX products have remained weak even with the Employee Discount. Reports also say that DCX products, including Rams, Dakotas, Jeeps, and minivans have been piling up all over the place. They never shut down a factory to adjust inventory. They keep building and building to keep the profits moving. Vehicles are being forced onto dealers.

The biggest thing that DCX has going for them, or did have going for them was the awesome Hemi engine. Problem is today oil has reached a new high and some have suggested $4.00 a gallon fuel in the near future. If you know that is coming would you care more about performance or fuel economy?

There are a lot of people on here that might not agree with me, but if fuel stays high and keeps going up, the trio (Fusion, Milan and Zephyr (MkZ) will begin to stomp the 300 and Charger in sales. Sure a lot of that sales pickup will be in 4 cylinder models, but more sales at lower profit are better then none at all. You can criticize Ford for building the trio in Mexico, but I can promise this car line WILL turn a good profit for them because of that. When SUV's were the hot thing, they could afford to take a loss on lower priced passenger cars. Now with SUV's and trucks cooling off, the are FORCED to make a good profit on midsized passenger cars. It is tough to do that building them in the US with the UAW down their throat.

Ford has it's own issues with fuel economy, I know I own an Explorer. Of course, my V6 Explorer does as well as any other midsized BOF SUV does on fuel, but all of them will be taking a hit. The ENTIRE Jeep division will be hit hard and is starting to see the impact. The new baby Jeep that is coming is SO UGLY I can't describe it. The RAM is already outclassed by the F-Series and soon GM will have the all new Silverado and Sierra. If you thought the Explorer was loosing steam fast look at the Durango. If you thought Ford could not sell Rangers anymore look at the Dakota!!!

The only positive I see is the 300 and Charger, which, at least the Hemi versions will be hit hard by very high fuel prices in the future. Today as they reported Middle East violence speculators have taken oil to a new high. The Caliber is doing well (we will see if it has staying power), the PT Cruiser still seems to be selling, but is beginning to get old, and the minivans are seeing fierce competition from the Japanese.

See there are a few DCX lovers on these boards that feel DCX is doing everything right. I don't see it that way. Keep saying what you want about Ford and GM, I think DCX is going to be in the toughest shape of all in 2 or 3 years when some of the dust settles. We will see. :fan:

Edited by 2005Explorer

He sounds like Hitler! Would you buy a car from him? The attempt to come up with a CEO/Bill Ford type of ad failed miserably. But the point of the ad was to promote the Dodge Ram stabilization feature which could come from none other than the largest producer of commercial vehicles in the world! Indeed, a company that makes school buses, coach buses, fire apparatus chassis, large class 8 dumps and truck tractors via their Sterling (formerly Ford), Mercedes, Western Star, and Freightliner brands gets my respect no matter how much I hate them! Around here, when Ford in 1997 was no longer able to supply heavy vehicles to municipalities, I noticed they began losing E-series, F-series and car sales also to these cities and towns. These were categories that had been heavily Ford previously. I'm a Ford guy from way back, but producing trucks which are limited to landscaping and utility uses, does not impress me!

Whatsisface and whosis have sure done a good job killing the Star Trek franchise (we've had this discussion before haven't we?)

Brannon Braga and Rick Berman are commonly blamed for the end of the franchise they largely crafted. It's hard to blame them for all of it... But yeah, they did a good job screwing things up at the end. If only the franchise were treated more like a car company.

As for Dieter, I really like the guy and I was initially delighted to see he would be the new face of Chrysler despite the fact he's akward with the culture and language ;). But now that I realize the nature of the commercials and the silliness of it all, I'm not so thrilled anymore and downright angry with Chrsyler.

<< He sounds like Hitler! Would you buy a car from him? The attempt to come up with a CEO/Bill Ford type of ad failed miserably. >>

He just sounds upscale German, which is an about-face (and click-heels, if you really want to go there) to the "we have Hemi power" stuff they were pushing before.

All things equal, I'd buy a car from Dr. Z over Bill Ford. Bill looks too eager in his commercials - he needs less shine and/or roundness in his eyes.

Having worked with Germans and German companies for 30 years or so, these Dr. Z commercials seem to remind me of the typical German corporate attitude - ve know what is ze best for you, you will buy what we say and you vill like it, whether you like it or not.

So you're telling me that Mr. Ford sounds like he has an idea of what is best for cars in the U.S.? Advertising is supposed to be a bit cheesy at times. What happened to having a sense of humor? I personally don't care who says what because I tune out many tv ads. But, this adverserial bashing of the so-called enemy is just piling on. It's pretty shallow and meaningless.