All Camrys to be made in US

Focus06

They enjoy pretending to be an American company.

They don't have to pretend. MY 2011 XV40 Camrys manufactured at TMMK or SIA for the U.S. market are classified as domestic by the EPA and the Department of Treasury. It's an American car by almost any measure, though the design is also popular in some other markets in the Middle East, Australasia, and SE Asia.

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 2

Wait wait wait... only 1100 Camrys were sold in Japan last year? :confused:

They don't have to pretend. MY 2011 XV40 Camrys manufactured at TMMK or SIA for the U.S. market are classified as domestic by the EPA and the Department of Treasury. It's an American car by almost any measure, though the design is also popular in some other markets in the Middle East, Australasia, and SE Asia.

It's like a bad viral infection. It has left the host and invaded the guest.

Yet the profits still go back to Japan. That hardly makes it "American" by MY measure.

Edited by timmm55
  • Like 5

Completely agree!

This so simple -

Just look at it in reverse for the OBVIOUS answer:

If a F150 was assembled in Japan with the majority of parts supplied by American suppliers doing business in Japan, would the Japanese people consider it a Japanese truck?

Answer: Of course not - Not even close!!!

There you have it.

• Like 1

If a F150 was assembled in Japan with the majority of parts supplied by American suppliers doing business in Japan, would the Japanese people consider it a Japanese truck?

If it was designed primarily for the Japan Domestic Market, yes.

Speaking of OBVIOUS answers, is the car pictured below American?

800px-Manojfordfigo.jpg

800px-Manojfordfigo.jpg

BULL!

If I'm not mistaken that's an Indian Ford. I call it an Indian Ford because it is made for India, in India.........by an American Car Company. It sells well there...........partly because the Indian Government allows foreign investment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_India_Private_Limited

Check the Japan Ford website: http://www.ford.co.jp/servlet/Satellite?pagename=DFY/JP

Only 2400 Fords were sold in Japan last year. The only car officially selling there is the Mustang.

Of note on the website is the debut of the LINCOLN MKX! ..........No Lincoln dealerships in Japan yet.

BULL!

If I'm not mistaken that's an Indian Ford. I call it an Indian Ford because it is made for India, in India.........by an American Car Company. It sells well there...........partly because the Indian Government allows foreign investment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_India_Private_Limited

Check the Japan Ford website: http://www.ford.co.jp/servlet/Satellite?pagename=DFY/JP

Only 2400 Fords were sold in Japan last year. The only car officially selling there is the Mustang.

Of note on the website is the debut of the LINCOLN MKX! ..........No Lincoln dealerships in Japan yet.

Japan is right hand drive, so they'd basically have to import Fords from Australia or Britain. They're also extremely protectionist about their home auto market and slap a near 100% tariff on imported vehicles.

800px-Manojfordfigo.jpg

You did not answer the question asked. The question was: Would the Japanese people consider it Japanese. And the answer is: NO

You answered your own rationalization. Go ahead and convince yourself, but you have not convinced me.

Here is another example:

Ichiro Suzuki plays baseball in the USA. Does that make him American?

Answer: Of course not, he is Japanese. Baseball is business just like autos and he is a Japanese import located here performing his craft, just like Toyota.

Bobby Valentine managed in Japan, did that make him Japanese? No, he was an American export practicing his profession in Japan.

And the answer to your question is: Ford is US based corporation profiting from sales around the world, so when they build cars for other markets they are; American cars for foreign markets.

I work for a US Based corporation that has operations around the world and our main competitor in the EU. When we operate in Europe we are not there to be good guys. We are there for one reason and one reason only - to take our competitors business. They do not consider us a European company at our offices in Europe.

Edited by Kev-Mo

I wonder what the conditions/options are that you have to order to get a Jap built Camry? If I were ever in the market for such a car I would jump whatever hoop I needed to in order to get the Japanese made one.

In that low of volume you know they are built by Toyota's best and longest tenured people left in the Japanese factory.

I wonder what the conditions/options are that you have to order to get a Jap built Camry? If I were ever in the market for such a car I would jump whatever hoop I needed to in order to get the Japanese made one.

In that low of volume you know they are built by Toyota's best and longest tenured people left in the Japanese factory.

So you buy into the Japanese superiority BS? It's a myth. It had some cred back in the 80s, not any more. It's still a boring piece of junk. Over rated and under cooked.

Edited by timmm55
  • Like 1

So you buy into the Japanese superiority BS? It's a myth. It had some cred back in the 80s, not any more. It's still a boring piece of junk. Over rated and under cooked.

Yep. I'm not looking for a Camry, it doesn't interest me but I was intrigued that there were a few jap made ones that still get over here.