AWS (Alternative Work Schedule) for Skilled Trades

rainbownthdrk

There is a silver lining............trades will work 4-12's on a rotating schedule. Example: Mon. Tues. Wed. Thurs. ....12hrs.; Fri. Sat. Sun. Mon. off

2nd week: Tues. wed. thurs. fri. ....12 hrs ; sat sun. mon. tues off

3rd week: wed thurs fri sat..........12 hrs; sun mon tues wed off

4th week: thurs fri sat sun....12 hrs; mon tues wed thurs off

..................u get the picture

The silver lining ? Trades will get four days off and ford will add heads (supposedly) drawing from trades laid off or working production. Bad news: O.T. will be limited

and if u have something planned for the weekend (depending on which weekend it falls on your rotating schedule!) .........you gotta take a vacation or personal day!

Kinda sucks for those on bowling or golf leagues or ya know......those who wanna go to to church on sunday morning!

How do you like it? I heard all locations are going on it.............that includes final assembly AND stamping operations.

I love it. I'm sure some people will grumble that you have to take 12 personal hours to get a day off, but just schedule whatever it is you have to do for one of your RDO's. (Regular Days Off)

The only negative is you have to work 4 weekends in a row. The positive is you get 4 in a row off.

I love it. I'm sure some people will grumble that you have to take 12 personal hours to get a day off, but just schedule whatever it is you have to do for one of your RDO's. (Regular Days Off)

The only negative is you have to work 4 weekends in a row. The positive is you get 4 in a row off.

When you went to that schedule did it actually add any trades jobs or did you loose some?

When you went to that schedule did it actually add any trades jobs or did you loose some?

A traditional plant has 3 shifts of trades. (Days, Afternoons and Midnights)

The 4 on 4 off AWS needs 4 shifts, so you need more tradespeople.

Edited by Pioneer

I'm curious too how does this shift work out for you? I'm trying to keep an open mind

4 on 4 off is awesome. I hope never to go back to a 5 day schedule. About 45 more days off per year or voluntarily work ot on your 4 regular days off

May be a few that still wont like anything but the 4 on 4 off is the best aws out there

Edited by Skilled1

4 on 4 off is awesome. I hope never to go back to a 5 day schedule. About 45 more days off per year or voluntarily work ot on your 4 regular days off

May be a few that still wont like anything but the 4 on 4 off is the best aws out there

How often is o.t. offerred on your r.d.o.?.................the whole point of this deal is to cut out the overtime.....that's what I've heard anyway.

My dad seems to think the paycheck will be for 52 hours every week. So there is overtime??

And your dad would be wrong.

On the 4 on 4 off, you average around 45 hours of straight time pay over an 8 week period. Every week is different. Some weeks only have 3 days on your check, and there are a couple of weeks that you have less than 40 hours. DTP will allow you to work some daily overtime to get you up to 40 on those weeks, but it is not mandatory.

And your dad would be wrong.

On the 4 on 4 off, you average around 45 hours of straight time pay over an 8 week period. Every week is different. Some weeks only have 3 days on your check, and there are a couple of weeks that you have less than 40 hours. DTP will allow you to work some daily overtime to get you up to 40 on those weeks, but it is not mandatory.

What are the shift hours?

What are the shift hours?

12 Hours. 6:30 am to pm then pm to am.

Tool and die unit is 7 days on 7 days off.

M&C is 4 on 4 off

Production runs 3 crews, A, B & C

A crew Mon- Thurs Days. 5:00 am start 10.7 hrs

B crew Tues- Fri 5:pm start schduled 10.7 hours

C crew Fri & Sat days, Sunday and Monday nights

DTP Body shop

How often is o.t. offerred on your r.d.o.?.................the whole point of this deal is to cut out the overtime.....that's what I've heard anyway.

I have made more money year over year than I ever did on a 5 day schedule.

The 4 on 4 off is the best schedule out there.

just food for thought KCAP works 3 12 hour shift sat sun and a day during the week d shift is 9am to 9pm E shift 9 pm to 9 am.

total they work 36 hours and get paid 44 hours on d shift

they work 36 hours on e shift plus 10 % shift premium

sure working weekends suck but you can plan around it

you get 4 days off plus paid over 40 hours

rdo days 1st 2 are at 1.5 times 2nd two rdo are at 2 times.

just something to think about.

plus they also have the 3 shift traditional maintenance.

that's the best schedule out there

Edited by the prisoner

I have made more money year over year than I ever did on a 5 day schedule.

The 4 on 4 off is the best schedule out there.

I do not see many opinios here in favor of it. It is worked at the Van Dyke plant. I hear the guys saying they like it, but their body language says different. They are, almost to a man/woman, dragging their arses into the plant. They seem to catch more colds and other ailments. They have to find someone else on the opposite shift to join a bowling league, golf league, etc, if they want to stay in a traditonal type of league. No-one seems to have the energy to form their own leagues based on this AWS shift. Plus, all the health studies coming out point to the fact that those who work more than 10 hours a day have more health problems. Didn't make a difference if they only work 4 days a week. Also, those who work the graveyard shift (6pm to 6:30am) are suffering from more illnesses.

But, 4 on 4 is the best schedule out there.

Dearborn Truck has 4 on 4 off---all mandatory 12 paid 11.5 for the past few years.My opinion is I dont like it.I work mid-nights,so for instance on Thanksgiving Day my shift wont end until 6:30 am on 11/24.I am not paid premium time.On mandatory saturdays and Sundays I am paid time and a quarter for the first 10 hours,then time and a half for the final hour and a half.On weekdays I am paid straight time for the first 10 then time and a half for the final hour and a half.If a company paid holiday falls within my assigned block of 4 days the company may schedule me to work 12 hours or black-out the day at their discretion which comes at the very last minute.If I am forced to work the holiday I am paid 250% times 12 hours but hey where is my holiday?4 on 4 off mandatory 12`s is a very difficult shift for a family man.Also I start afternoons at 6:30 pm and go till 6:30 a.m. this means I am paid only 5% shift premium but I know you guys at the other locals would never agree to that,just a heads up!

Dearborn Truck has 4 on 4 off---all mandatory 12 paid 11.5 for the past few years.My opinion is I dont like it.I work mid-nights,so for instance on Thanksgiving Day my shift wont end until 6:30 am on 11/24.I am not paid premium time.On mandatory saturdays and Sundays I am paid time and a quarter for the first 10 hours,then time and a half for the final hour and a half.On weekdays I am paid straight time for the first 10 then time and a half for the final hour and a half.If a company paid holiday falls within my assigned block of 4 days the company may schedule me to work 12 hours or black-out the day at their discretion which comes at the very last minute.If I am forced to work the holiday I am paid 250% times 12 hours but hey where is my holiday?4 on 4 off mandatory 12`s is a very difficult shift for a family man.Also I start afternoons at 6:30 pm and go till 6:30 a.m. this means I am paid only 5% shift premium but I know you guys at the other locals would never agree to that,just a heads up!

With all i have heard so far....................the 4 day, 12 hr, rotating schedule sounds like it sucks!....Here is another thought: How about trades that want to take advantage of ETAP? It wil be hard to go to a real classroom on the 4 day f**cked up schedule! Have to do it on-line classes only! Commitee man telling us that we are sure to get either the 4/12 rotating schedule or the 3\12 weekend schedule mentioned in one of the above comments. Union wants the 4\12's because the 3\12's schedule would probably mean even less OT at MAP trades. We have launches for the electric and hybrid focus, and C-max ....possible 3 crew production and the cheap bastards at our plant are continually coming up with excuses to cut out OT!! Sorry....had to get that out of me!

With all i have heard so far....................the 4 day, 12 hr, rotating schedule sounds like it sucks!....Here is another thought: How about trades that want to take advantage of ETAP? It wil be hard to go to a real classroom on the 4 day f**cked up schedule! Have to do it on-line classes only! Commitee man telling us that we are sure to get either the 4/12 rotating schedule or the 3\12 weekend schedule mentioned in one of the above comments. Union wants the 4\12's because the 3\12's schedule would probably mean even less OT at MAP trades. We have launches for the electric and hybrid focus, and C-max ....possible 3 crew production and the cheap bastards at our plant are continually coming up with excuses to cut out OT!! Sorry....had to get that out of me!

Maybe you didnt read my response or Pioneers response,

I love the 4 on 4 off. I NEVER WANT TO GO BACK TO A TRADITIONAL 5 DAY

You will love the aws once you are on it. I have made more money year to year on this schedule as well as more days off.

5 DAY SUCKS

Look 4crew is no different than reg. days/afternnons/midnights each shift has its draw backs and not for everyone. Some people HATE reg. midnights just like some hate 4crew. Working weekends? come on most trade work the weekends anyway.... ETAP? few used it on reg. scheds.... people dragging their ass in on 4crew- HA! most of reg. days shift guys look like zombies or the walking dead when they work early....

Maybe you didnt read my response or Pioneers response,

I love the 4 on 4 off. I NEVER WANT TO GO BACK TO A TRADITIONAL 5 DAY

You will love the aws once you are on it. I have made more money year to year on this schedule as well as more days off.

5 DAY SUCKS

I heard ya!......................did u work 40 hrs when uhad the traditional schedule?............I'm expecting a HUGE!!!!!! OT cut for trades if they fully implement this 4 day P.O. S. schedule at Map....and in every other location!

• 2 years later...

To any skilled trades out there who are currently not on this schedule (KTP). I am at LAP for 13 years, this schedule is awesome. They had to hire more people to make this work. There are a few people out there who don't like this.I was dredding the AWS , now I would hate to go back. With my time off I have more of a life now than I ever had. I am off 5 days in a row every other week. I rarely get that off because of all the OT needed. They have to cover for vacations, project work, etc.There are fewer people per crew, but there is an extra crew now. Being there are fewer people per crew they can,t get by without covering people who are off.

Pro's

1) If you don't want any OT then you only work 180 days a year vs 360 minus holidays and vacation.

2) I have made way more on this schedule than on the traditional schedule.

3) OT is factored in everyday.

4) There are more chances to work OT than ever

5)Made more money this year vs last year on 7 12 hr days.

6) More time for golf and fishing or whatever.

7) A crew only has to burn 24 hours to get 9 days off

C crew has to burn 36 hours to be off 10 days...........pretty sweet....great for vacations, motor cycle runs,

8) If you go to lake on weekends just have to burn a day every other week all summer long, who goes every weekend any way...crappy weather etc.

9) Base pay for A and C crew is $88398.18

10) If you are on A or C crew you get 12.5% shift premium......day shift gets 2.5%. You get a raise right off the bat.

CONS ???????????????

Hope this helps all who are unsure. It is GRRRRRREEEEAAAT