Ford Expedition & Navigator

Now what was this thread about? Oh yeah... why is the Expedition and Navigator still using that old underpowered and gas guzzling 5.4 Triton when Ford has something so much better to bolt into them.

I am amazed they didn't receive the engines along with the F-150. That is the weak spot with those SUVs...everything else is just fine. It would have been a nice hold over.

I've been told the ES doesn't share any body panels with the Camry - although to me they're hard to tell apart. The TL is also unique from the U.S. Accord because it's based on the Japanese market Accord.

I don't think it's mandatory if you just want to sell volume mid luxury vehicles at modest prices, but I think you need bespoke designs if you want to compete at the higher luxury levels. Especially for Lincoln who doesn't have the luxury reputation of Lexus.

The bespoke suspension is just electronically controlled shocks and probably different springs - I don't think it's an entirely new expensive suspension. But either way I think it's money well spent since it will not only match or exceed the competition but it will further distinguish the Lincoln models from Ford models.

I don't believe the Fusion and MKZ share many if any body panels... The body panels are the skin that you see on the outside that is welded/bolted to the bones. That should be considered a minimum in order to seperate the two. Same thing with shock/spring and powertrain tuning... All of this is badge engineering 101. But that doesn't mean the bones (including pillars and glass) are modified. Touch the bones and the expenses rise exponentially.

Think you are confusing the TL and TSX which are two seperate sedans. The TL started as a Japanese built car, but ever since moving production to Ohio in 1999 it has been built of the NA Accord platform. The TSX on the other hand is built in Japan and is a built off the Euro/Japanese Accord platform. There are two seperate, but highly related Accords that in some markets are sold along side eachother (i.e. Australia). But in the end both the TL and TSX are exersizes in badge engineering.

While the current Fusion and MKZ don't share any of the skin panels, I'm thinking that they share the same top hat frame and roof section.

If Ford are to be believed, future Lincolns will be further differentiated from Ford originators by having completely different top hats which

includes frame, skin panels, glass and presumably completely different dash, IP and trim. If all that comes to pass, I would think the

Lincoln detractors will have a very hard job of proving any Ford looks like any Lincoln.