Farley: Ford accelerates plans to reduce global vehicle platforms

what was trying to say, was the Guys is supposed to market the cars ford sells, not understand the intricacies of engineering those cars. My poorly thought out statement was meant to add a grain of salt to the statement he made.

as we have pointed out here in this thread, the Idea of reducing platform is sexy, and winning but the reality is We are build cars like the Ikon, and C1 focus for asia, and emerging markets, becuase it is the right thing to do, not to prescribe to an absolute platform philosophy that ignores the reality of those markets.

I would not waste too much time trying to make these platform numbers work, because the reality is We will always have orphans and redheaded step children platform, because being a global full line manufacture requires them.

Probably a good point, reporters like to hang off every word spoken when the thrust of Farley's statement was to do with global platforms,

it's possible that a US marketing guy would miss a regional platform or two in other countries, that doesn't mean they don't exist...

What's more excition is that USA is now on board with a united car plan, sure taurus and Utilities are mostly regional specific

but hey, North America loves it trucks and utilities, always give the market what it wants for the right price and you won't go broke......

Farley should know the platform count and the timeline; he's at those meetings every week and obviously capable enough to retain what he hears.

I would assume that not every vehicle is built on a "Platform", per Ford's internal nomenclature, I'd venture to guess that--say--the medium duties are not viewed as products of a platform.

Platforms are as much an accounting convenience as an engineering aid.

At the time a platform is approved, its estimated cost is booked against projected volume of all derivatives, as a means of determining the cost per unit for that platform.

For an oddball vehicle, there's no point assigning it to a platform, and therefore it doesn't factor when the company discusses the number of platforms that it uses. It's sui generis, and from engineering and cost standpoints, if its viable, it's viable as a standalone. I would guess that the various Ikons fit into this category. They're not matched to any platform, because they're basically obsolete cars spending a productive retirement in new markets.

I would like to know what Ford calls the emerging layer of shared componentry that transcends platforms; it too has to be accounted for properly, and matched to production volume.

---

BTW: This is why successful car companies have good accounting departments.

Edited by RichardJensen

Farley should know the platform count and the timeline; he's at those meetings every week and obviously capable enough to retain what he hears.

I would assume that not every vehicle is built on a "Platform", per Ford's internal nomenclature, I'd venture to guess that--say--the medium duties are not viewed as products of a platform.

Platforms are as much an accounting convenience as an engineering aid.

At the time a platform is approved, its estimated cost is booked against projected volume of all derivatives, as a means of determining the cost per unit for that platform.

For an oddball vehicle, there's no point assigning it to a platform, and therefore it doesn't factor when the company discusses the number of platforms that it uses. It's sui generis, and from engineering and cost standpoints, if its viable, it's viable as a standalone. I would guess that the various Ikons fit into this category. They're not matched to any platform, because they're basically obsolete cars spending a productive retirement in new markets.

I would like to know what Ford calls the emerging layer of shared componentry that transcends platforms; it too has to be accounted for properly, and matched to production volume.

---

BTW: This is why successful car companies have good accounting departments.

how long would the conversation be if he included the bastard platforms ford has right now and will continue to have in the future. He IS an Ad guy, he knows not to make it more complex than it has to be.

• Like 3

To reiterate:

When Farley's talking about platforms, he's using the same data presented to Mulally, Fields, and probably developed by Kuzak's subordinates.

You would almost certainly get the same number from any of those guys.

This number reflects Ford's own internal accounting and engineering systems, and is externally meaningful only in that it indicates that Ford is apparently becoming more efficient.

Edited by RichardJensen

Let's face it the discrepancies exist in regional areas of Asia and South America, it is highly likely that a fair portion of those

cars on superseded platforms will actually hook into main suppliers anyway and eventually move over to most of the current

engineering in due course, so really it's a hand me down process that continually evolves, who's to say Richard isn't right in

saying that platforms have as much to do with accounting and supplier costs as they do with engineering.

Can we agree that the regional platforms exist purely because they are affordable versions that are linked

to existing main mine products through Ford's supplier network and ongoing focus on continual improvement

and evolution. There's every likelihood that Figo MCE will move the car closer to current Fiesta electrical systems

and switch gear.

This figure would've been a slide in a powerpoint presentation.

And, think about it, it is all about cost allocation.

Imagine Ford deciding to use a bunch of Focus parts to build a CUV (Escape), and a minivan (Grand C-Max) and a tall wagon (C-Max).

Why call that a 'platform'? Why create an organizing concept like that?

Accounting.

This figure would've been a slide in a powerpoint presentation.

And, think about it, it is all about cost allocation.

Imagine Ford deciding to use a bunch of Focus parts to build a CUV (Escape), and a minivan (Grand C-Max) and a tall wagon (C-Max).

Why call that a 'platform'? Why create an organizing concept like that?

Accounting.

Exactly, accounting is much better association or linkage to what's happening with regional specific projects

I hate how people often jump tothe conclusion that platform = floor pan- frame-engine, it's so much more than that.

and referring to it as a collection of parts under one project and account balance sheet seems more appropriate.

Falcon uses EUCD Slim Door and side frame tech, the ECU has just been switched to the current corporate version, T6's wiring

harness is a modified version of EUCD, I suspect that Falcon is either heading that way or already using a version of it.

So many parts from Ford's vehicles can be used by regional vehicles, that's how costs are kept down and standards increased.

Edited by jpd80

And that's why I wonder what Ford's term is for things that are broader in scope than platforms. They've got to have a name, right?

One Ford?

That term keeps getting used over and over.

My Ford contacts when mentioning things in broader terms keep referring to it all the time...it's the big picture for them.

They do of course talk in terms of "product envelopes" as well....

Edited by jpd80

Would "program" be applicable here?

Architecture would be that word. it represents more soft points like specifc modiules, like front and rear suspensions, powerpacks, elctrical archtechtures, crash strutures, but don't represent the traditional ideas that floorpans and sheet metal that make up a platform.

Nope. I'm talking about stuff like IP binnacles that are used across multiple platforms. Shared components.

It's almost like they're developing a catalog of engineering modules that can be used in multiple vehicles,

before you run off and design anything new, look up the catalog and see if anything there suits your needs...

I remember there was a drive to get stuff like door handles and regulator mechanisms standardized,

stupid stuff like single purpose windshield washer bottles, radiator overflow bottles all cost money .

Ok... I read something that made it seemed like the Mexican Ikon was sourced from India... But Mexico = Brazil and South Africa = India makes more sense. But help me understand something... The older Indian Ikon was a local market varient of a Mk4 Fiesta that started sales in 2000, right? While on the same market Ford had the Mk5 Fiesta sedan and hatchback on sale up until a year ago, right? When they introduced the Mk6 Fiesta Ford cancelled the Mk4 based Ikon, and gave the "other" Fiesta sedan/hatchback restyling (relaunching them as the Fiesta Classic and Figo). Indian motorpress has been quite clear that the Fiesta Classic = / = Ikon. What am I missing?

If the older Focus and Escape live on as regional platform how does that jive with "4 regional platforms" from Farley? D3/D4 isn't disapearing next year, Falcon is staying for at least 5, and Farley mentioned the F150... older gen Focus + Escape = 2, which is greater than 1, which means Farley can't count?

Let me sort it out for you :shades:

The first Ikon was developed by Ford Europe as a "localized" product for Ford India and introduced in 2000. It was a Mk4 Fiesta with a trunk grafted on. The car proved so popular, it was immediately adopted by several other markets, notably Ford China, which made the 4 door Mk4 Fiesta its first locally assembled product; Ford South Africa, which began CKD assembly from India; and Ford Brazil, where the car was simply marketed as Fiesta sedan. Ford Mexico received the first batch of Fiesta 4 door from India in 2001 as a test but started importing from Brazil as soon as production started there in 2002.

In 2003, Ford Brazil introduced Mk5 Fiesta hatch. So Fiesta hatch (Mk5) and sedan (Mk4) sold side by side for a while.

In 2004, Ford Brazil introduced Mk5 Fiesta sedan, replacing the Mk4 4 door. Ford Mexico followed soon after as it was getting the Fiesta from Brazil.

In China, Ford went from Mk4 Fiesta sedan directly to Mk6 Fiesta sedan/hatch in 2009 (production in tandem with Mazda2... hence it uses Mazda's 1.5 engine instead Ford's 1.4/1.6 liter engines).

Meanwhile in India, Fiesta 5 door (Mk5) and Ikon 4 door (Mk4) continued side by side until 2010 when the Mk5 was upgraded to Figo, which was considerably cheaper than the Mk5 Fiesta it was based on. In 2011, Ford India retired the Ikon name and updated the 4 door model with new bumpers, re-sculpted exterior, and new interior. The new model was relaunched as Fiesta Classic, around the same time Mk6 went on sale as the "New Fiesta". South Africa received the Fiesta Classic CKD in 2011 but choose to retain the Ikon name. One of the reason why Ford India decided to ditch the Ikon name is because Fiesta Classic was noticeably more expensive than Ikon (and Figo) but this was not the case in South Africa.

Back in Mexico in 2010, Mk6 Fiesta went into production for the NAFTA market, replacing the Mk5 models imported from Brazil. However, only temporarily. In 2011, Ford Mexico brought back the Mk5 Fiesta (sedan and hatch) from Brazil but with the Ikon name instead of Fiesta as to avoid confusion with the Mk6 Fiesta. The Mexican Mk6 Fiesta also went on sale in Brazil as the " New Fiesta", with the Mk5 being renamed "Fiesta Rocam".

So in summary, these are currently in production :confused:

India/South Africa: Mk4 Ikon/Fiesta Classic, Mk5 Figo, Mk6 Fiesta

China: Mk6 Fiesta

Mexico: Mk6 Fiesta (imported Mk5 "Ikon" from Brazil)

Brazil: Mk5 Fiesta Rocam (imported Mk6 "New Fiesta" from Mexico)

As for whether Farley can count... I guess the jury is out on that one LOL... Ford is required by law to keep C1 Focus in production in China and the plan is to keep it in South America too.

Edited by bzcat