MY FORD TOUCH PROBLEMS CONTINUE?

Oh! OH! Please read Sunday Free Press article with Mark Phelan about the continuing problem with the My Ford Touch. They show a video with him having trouble adjusting the climate control and also unable to eject the Cds with the push button. I thought Ford tested the new Touch with their employees. Not sure if they detected the same issues...but it was clear the Free Press had an issue. Anyone have input? Ford does not need this to be an ongoing problem.

• Like 1

So, are we to assume that if we ordered a new 2013 Taurus (Job-1 in 1 week) the New My Ford Touch (standard) will NOT be a problem....or do we have to wait for a software update later in the year?

I think its safe to assume that.

There will probably be some problems with the new system too. The scope of which will be far less wide spread. You can't guarantee a 0% hardware failure rate. Things they can't plan ahead for like future device compatability (I'm looking at you Apple). Further streamlining of voice commands, obscure foreign accent recognition, or changes to satelite radio features would be likely reasons future software patches. I don't see a recall coming out after its released like the first. If your savvy at all and sign up to syncmyride.com you'll be able to continually update the system by yourself.

You know, your pc, mobile phone, and antivirus software need constant software updates. Why would a system like this be any different.

Well even I can tell you this is bull-hockey, he is NOT testing the new Ford system. And since he isn't even adept enough to figure that out based on visual cues, I'm sure he isn't sharp enough to dig into the system to find the version info, which could even predate 2.11.

DAMNT IT, this is why all the Newspapers must die, their shoddy work boggles the mind and it sickens me to know that passive dead-tree readers are accepting this as fact.

Please make use of this superior medium and comment on the article to set him straight.

Edited by BORG

He didn't even test the new system. I sure hope all of these journalists bashing mft now have a glowing review the day the update is sent to all the customers.

I know the guys at CNet (who've been merciless about MFT) have said that the new rev looks like it has addressed their problems with MFT. In their most recent video review of the Edge, Brian Cooley even said he was going to skip the complaints about MFT in lieu of the forthcoming update; he said the update was due out in a few months, but I don't remember exactly what he said (2Q sticks in my mind, but I couldn't swear to that). Any "journalist" who bitches about MFT now isn't much of one...

I know the guys at CNet (who've been merciless about MFT) have said that the new rev looks like it has addressed their problems with MFT. In their most recent video review of the Edge, Brian Cooley even said he was going to skip the complaints about MFT in lieu of the forthcoming update; he said the update was due out in a few months, but I don't remember exactly what he said (2Q sticks in my mind, but I couldn't swear to that). Any "journalist" who bitches about MFT now isn't much of one...

Brian Cooley's review was the most informed I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxRwh-G6ko

Edited by BORG

I like CNET a lot. (probably more than I should. I just bought there tv of the year yesterday, based solely on them)

This has been posted here before. They did a pre-review at LA and seemed to really like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxRwh-G6ko&feature=player_embedded

Oh! OH! Please read Sunday Free Press article with Mark Phelan about the continuing problem with the My Ford Touch. They show a video with him having trouble adjusting the climate control and also unable to eject the Cds with the push button. I thought Ford tested the new Touch with their employees. Not sure if they detected the same issues...but it was clear the Free Press had an issue. Anyone have input? Ford does not need this to be an ongoing problem.

It's a mistake to listening to anything David Champion of Consumer Reports has to say. For a magazine that is supposed not to be biased, he is continually spouting unfounded, opinionated crap. I do accept, however, that customer reaction to MFT has caused CR readers to downgrade Ford's reliability (which goes to show how interrelated things are in a car -- particularly things the customer touches every day).

The article quoted David Sargent, JD Power vice president for automotive research as saying "You shouldn't have to go into the menu structure to adjust the temperature or fan," Umm. You don't. Use the panel, idiot. That shows that this person making the comment had not even bothered to sit in or control a MFT system, yet he has an opinion. As in CR, however, I'm not arguing that MFT didn't have an effect on JDP ratings.

I have a number of issues with MFT, but taking my eyes of the road is not among them. The main issue for me is the extemely bulky response time, and the seeming inability of the system to understand in any logical fashion whatsoever where I want to go and to navigate for me by voice control

I do find the seeming inability of some users to understand the system to be very puzzling. It doesn't take a manual, unless you want to review it later to improve how you are using the system. It only requires common sense. I can understand that the initial exposure can be confusing as there are often multiple ways to implement a command (touch panel, voice, steering wheel, touch screen), but, like using any electronic device, one ends up using the method you find most comfortable.

The update is coming, but since we haven't heard anything at this point, I'm thinking it might be delayed. Ford certainly understands the importance of getting this one right. And Microsoft now fully understands that their reputation is on the line also even if they weren't the lead for MFT development, so I understand they have also thrown considerable resources at it. Nothing short of excellent execution will quiet people down on this.

• Like 1

.......The update is coming, but since we haven't heard anything at this point, I'm thinking it might be delayed........

Agreed. Ford originally said they'd send out an USB thumb drive with the new MFT software in late January. Here it is, January 29th, and I've received nothing (for my 2012 Focus). I read someplace a few weeks back that they're now saying the update will be available during the first quarter of 2012.

One thing that's gotten lost in the MFT shuffle is the voice-command option. This is very Star Trek like, you speak a command, and the car does what you ask. You have to learn some basic verbal commands before using, but once you learn those, there's really no need to use the touch screen at all. When it comes to setting temperature, setting fan speed, etc. I use voice-commands exclusively. It works and works well, all the time.

What I said:

Mark, Ford has addressed more than "two things" including response time, rebooting, and it's more than just legibility as Ford has clarified the entire process..........see it here

In the past Ford was ahead of the tech game, MyFord Touch was a bit of a jump, but at least it's software and upgradeable.

As a journalist you should be asking why the manufacturers don't provide a place for portable Nav systems.There are literally millions of Garmin, Tom Tom and Magellan units out there. (I've had one of each over the years) If they can provide cup holders, ash trays, coin trays, map pockets, etc. why can't they provide a decent storage area that includes a port? Perhaps the $2000 optional factory Nav systems might explain that, but is that a good enough reasons for consumers who prefer a portable $100 unit?

It certainly isn't a matter of space. The current Fusion has a storage bin on the dash. With a USB port and a lockable sliding cover it would be ideal.

Well even I can tell you this is bull-hockey, he is NOT testing the new Ford system. And since he isn't even adept enough to figure that out based on visual cues, I'm sure he isn't sharp enough to dig into the system to find the version info, which could even predate 2.11.

DAMNT IT, this is why all the Newspapers must die, their shoddy work boggles the mind and it sickens me to know that passive dead-tree readers are accepting this as fact.

Please make use of this superior medium and comment on the article to set him straight.

It's not only the Free Press, but Dave DFChampion of CR that hates it and other auto journalists also.And Ford reliability ratings have gone from 5th to 22nd, and many say its because of MFT. Say what you want, but I personally think that Ford needs to make MFT optional on every trim line except for Titanium. No one should have to have it on their vehicle, even with the Limited models. The touch pad screen doesn't bother me that much, but the instrument panel sceen does and looks cheap and nondescript being pretty much the same on all MFT models. Ford needs to rethink this. It's really hurting them in ratings and reviews.

This sort of "kvetching" journalism drives me mad, because it's the type of stuff battled on these forums everyday from people who just want to gripe about the future based entirely on their own speculation.

Edited by BORG

What I said:

Mark, Ford has addressed more than "two things" including response time, rebooting, and it's more than just legibility as Ford has clarified the entire process..........see it here

In the past Ford was ahead of the tech game, MyFord Touch was a bit of a jump, but at least it's software and upgradeable.

As a journalist you should be asking why the manufacturers don't provide a place for portable Nav systems.There are literally millions of Garmin, Tom Tom and Magellan units out there. (I've had one of each over the years) If they can provide cup holders, ash trays, coin trays, map pockets, etc. why can't they provide a decent storage area that includes a port? Perhaps the $2000 optional factory Nav systems might explain that, but is that a good enough reasons for consumers who prefer a portable $100 unit?

It certainly isn't a matter of space. The current Fusion has a storage bin on the dash. With a USB port and a lockable sliding cover it would be ideal.

A really good point, but I doubt they will do anything since auto companies make big bucks selling built in Nav systems. A buddy of mine just got the new Chrysler T&C with built in Nav, and hates it and much prefers his Garmin portable. I use a portable Tom Tom with both my vehicles and love it. I don't mind it on windshield and prefer it to putting on top of dash. Dangling wire doesn't me either. The Tom Tom system is very intuitive and easy to master.

I'm no Dave Champion fan, but he is influential and he is still spouting off that latest MFT software is still dangerous and unsafe. He claims that unlike normal switch gear, you have to take eyes off road to make adjustments with MFT. All Ford nees is a major crash with serious injury, and guy like Dave Champion calling MFT unsafe, and it's Explorer Deja'vu all over again. Get it off SEL and Limited Ford and make it optional for those who are comfortable with it and willing to pay extra for it.

This sort of "kvetching" journalism drives me mad, because it's the type of stuff battled on these forums everyday from people who just want to gripe about the future based entirely on their own speculation.

Dropping from 5th to 22nd is not speculation. Most of that is attributed to MFT. That being said, I noticed at NAIAS almost every vehicle there had some sort of touch pad system also. However, very few had the computer screen instrument panel like MFT with most being analog gauges that I personally prefer. No MFT for me if I can help it. Hope Escape XLT and Fusion SE is devoid of computer screen instrument panel. I even prefer the look of Focus SE dashboard over the MFT dashboard with big computer screen in middle all smudged up and complicated looking radio below. Keep it fricking simple.

• Like 1

I'm no Dave Champion fan, but he is influential and he is still spouting off that latest MFT software is still dangerous and unsafe. He claims that unlike normal switch gear, you have to take eyes off road to make adjustments with MFT. All Ford nees is a major crash with serious injury, and guy like Dave Champion calling MFT unsafe, and it's Explorer Deja'vu all over again. Get it off SEL and Limited Ford and make it optional for those who are comfortable with it and willing to pay extra for it.

Reviewers don't spend enough time with these cars to pass judgement on ergonomics. I will say however that the Sony Touch panel in the Edge is much more difficult to operate than the standard touch panel, or the Lincoln panel. And you'll notice, Ford has made changes to the Sony panel for the Fusion (including physical buttons for the eject, power switch, and emergency lights).

Heck, I use the Lincoln volume slider about as much as i use the steering wheel control, it works so intuitively.

2013+Ford+Fusion+152.JPG

Truth is even with a portable Nav you have to take your eyes off the road to make adjustments. I swerved a bit the last time (thanks for CA hwy Dots). But if it wasn't on the windshield and closer it would be better. And I do hate the damn cord and attachment...I drive a Miata and the cigarette lighter wasn't made for the Nav plug-in (it scratches the surround).

Our new 2012 Limited Edge with NAV has Gen 2, 2.11 system. I'm 70, and can figure it our OK. Ours works fine. Don't know what the fuss is about. You do need to study on how it works. And go a little slower than on your home computer. But there is a nice manual for that, or go to Syncmyride.com. I really like getting my stock prices.

Also....There is so much misinformation out there about this system. On ours, you don't have to use the voice commands. I can control the AC and heat just like on the 2005 Montego Premere we traded in. I can run it in auto or run it manually, just like before. There is a climate auto on/off. There is AC (compressor) on/off. Recirculate, fan speed....or just leave it on auto. Dual....temp up/down for both sides. Controlled by your fingers, just like before.

I mainly just use voice commands for phone use. And Nav changes while I'm driving. Most destinations on Nav I load in before trip. Just like with my portable Garmin. I think it easier to just change a radio station by touch faster than voice. I mostly listen to Sirius....CNBC (market news streams), CNN, or oldies.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Truth is even with a portable Nav you have to take your eyes off the road to make adjustments. I swerved a bit the last time (thanks for CA hwy Dots). But if it wasn't on the windshield and closer it would be better. And I do hate the damn cord and attachment...I drive a Miata and the cigarette lighter wasn't made for the Nav plug-in (it scratches the surround).

Yeah, I hear ya. In my Taurus, I have an extra 12 volt outlet beneath the cig lighter and power attachment fits securely into it and nothing pops it out. No problem. In my Boxster though, like you, I have no extra outlet and have to use cig lighter and attachment will pop out sometimes when I hit a bump and is annoying. As for portable Tom Tom, I never make adjustment once I program in my destination before beginning trip. If I don't follow GPS, it will reprogram automatically and redirect me onto shortest and quickest route. Tom Tom also offers free updates. Not bad for $100. Even if it was stolen, wouldn't be most horrible thing in world. Easy to pull off window and stick in console when not in use. With Boxster, I just throw it in either trunk.

"Have to take eyes off the road"

Gee, Mr. Champion, how ever do you check your speed? You got a fifteen year old Pontiac with a HUD?

With all the auto companies beginning to follow MFT with touchpad systems of their own, looks like Champion is going to be even more annoyed over time. If not, then we know he's picking on Ford only and will lose even more credibility. Most of the new vehicles I sat in at NAIAS had some sort of touchpad system. I'm really not a fan, but again my opinion wouldn't buy me a cup of coffee. I like switch gear and three big, round gauges right in front with one being speedo, another tachometer, and final one with an assorment of important engine gauges like oil pressure, engine temp, and the like. They are time proven and last pretty much forever. Less idiot lights and more gauges.