Focus Owners Poll for MPG

gafry

We have a mileage Log on our '12 Focus SEL 6 speed auto with 17,298 miles as of the last tank. My son's lifetime average is 35.1mpg with about 75% city driving. He said he averages about 34mpg city and about 39mpg highway depending headwinds and tailwinds. He also avoids routes in the city with heavy traffic lights as much as possible and times the others to get green lights when possible. Here is his mileage log from the factory: http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG%28US%29&viewcar=3738 You can scroll down that link to his first tank when new.

2007 5-speed: In warm weather, high 20s city / high 30s/low 40s highway. Drop about 3 mpg in the cold for my city driving. (I have a short commute, giving the engine little time to warm up before I get there.)

what speed on highway ?

Anyone have the SFE (super fuel economy) package, worth the $ 495.00 - thoughts ?

I would have paid the extra money for that package, but at the time I needed to replace my '05 FEH, it was not at my dealers. Here is what you get:

The SFE package includes 16-inch steel wheels with aero wheel covers, active grille shutters, high-efficiency tires, four-wheel disc brakes, rear spoiler and a special SFE badge.

The Ford Focus employs full active grille shutters to help optimize aerodynamics by using vents to control airflow through the grille to the cooling system and engine compartment. If air is required to cool the engine, the vents are opened. If no airflow is needed the vents are shut, contributing to significantly reduced aerodynamic drag.

Mounted in the grille aperture ahead of the radiator, the active grille shutters feature motorized horizontal vanes that can rotate through 90 degrees to block the airflow. Automatically controlled by the car’s electronic control unit, the vanes can be rotated into 15 different positions—from fully closed to fully open—depending on the amount of cooling air required. When fully closed, the reduction in drag means the active grille shutters can reduce CO2 emissions by 2%.

As an additional benefit, the system keeps the vanes closed as long as possible when starting from cold, so the engine reaches its most efficient operating temperature more quickly. This also helps reduce fuel consumption, especially is cold climates. The biggest hit in MPG happens during the warm-up and short trips.

The EPA MPG certification for the SFE package may not be realistic in the real world. In other words, you may really see a much better improvement in actual mileage over a Focus without the SFE package. The $495 cost could be paid for a lot sooner with gas prices where there at today. If you can hypermile, this increase in MPG could really pay for itself in no time and start saving you money much sooner.

If you are a owner of a Ford Focus we need your input.

1. the year of your Focus

2. Type of transmission Auto or manual

3. Your Highway MPG and City MPG

A Big Thank you for your input

2002 - Auto - 28mpg combined (driving habits and distances don't allow me to separate them much)

2012 - PowerShift - 30 mpg to 35 mpg, depending on more city or highway.

Anyone have the SFE (super fuel economy) package, worth the $ 495.00 - thoughts ?

If you are in a location that includes the active grille shutters as standard, then I'd say it probably isn't worth the cost. Besides, if you're thinking of a hatchback, that would toss the SFE package out the window as it can only be ordered on a sedan. I have only seen a handful of SFE packages out on the roads in my area.

• Like 1

'12 SE sedan, grill shutters standard without the SFE package, Powershift transmission, 22,000 miles.

I've left the trip 1 avg. alone since we've gotten it and it's reading 37.4 mpg. My wife drives about a 50/50 mix of city and highway and usually avaerages betweent 34 and 36. I drive mostly highway and usually bring in 39-41 mpg. My best tank average has been just under 43.

'12 SE sedan, grill shutters standard without the SFE package, Powershift transmission, 22,000 miles.

I've left the trip 1 avg. alone since we've gotten it and it's reading 37.4 mpg. My wife drives about a 50/50 mix of city and highway and usually avaerages betweent 34 and 36. I drive mostly highway and usually bring in 39-41 mpg. My best tank average has been just under 43.

Very good mileage and the grill shutters seem to have added a fair amount of MPG. Great job adding your Explorer mileage to your sig page!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a one-year-old SE Sport Hatch with the manual trans and grille shutters. I run 40 psi in the tires and 0w-20 synthetic oil. Since new it has averaged 35.5 mpg. The bulk of the miles are accumulated in my 20 mile each way commute (14 mi highway, 6 mi city). As others have noted, I loose about 3 mpg in winter driving. I have also noticed that the wind is a big factor. I can easily loose 3 to 5 mpg with a strong headwind or crosswind.

On longer trips that I have taken, the mileage is nothing short of phenomenal. The Focus easily gets 42 mpg. This is a two way average with the cruise set at 70, the AC on and running 87 octane fuel with ethanol.

Vinnie

• 3 weeks later...

We took the '12 Focus into the dealer for the transmission module update a few weeks ago and have notice an increase in MPG in the last three tanks according to our mileage log. You can view the log here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG%28US%29&viewcar=3738 The log was started from the first new car fill-up and my Son has put over 20,000 miles to date with ~70% city driving on mostly short trips. This puts his lifetime mileage at 35.2mpg which is not bad.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

One of the beauties of the ST is that you can compete in different dimensions. It's not always just about 0-60 times. (Otherwise, you've got completely the wrong car. In fact, you probably don't want a car at all -- try a motorcycle.)

Hot hatches have to strike a balance between perfomance and practicality, which is a design challenge at least as worthy as -- if not more difficult then -- discarding all criteria and constraints to focus on just one dimension. Think of the "goodness" of the car as distance from 0. With one dimension, say acceleration, the goodness is just the length of the one line. With many dimensions, sticking out in all directions, the object is to push the envelope in all directions to maximize the area you can cover, not just push one way.

If people are having fun shooting for high mileage, let them have their fun. It's as meaningful as shooting for a fast quarter-mile speed.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...