GT500 vs Camaro Zl1 in Motor Trend

If the ZL1 is truly the road racing car that they are marketing it as, why does it not come with DOT4 or any other higher temp brake fluid??

question, because I DONT know....why dont manufacturers supply the vehicles from the get go with the upgraded Brake Fluid?

Part of me suspects that the press fleet ZL1s have DOT4 already.

I would absolutally guarantee that if you ran a ZL1 with stock brake fluid, in a couple of 20 minute sessions, you would also see massive brake fade.

Are you saying GM prepped the ZL1 beyond stock for the Motor Trend head-to-head comparo? What would be, like, OMG,,,,,,cheating!

question, because I DONT know....why dont manufacturers supply the vehicles from the get go with the upgraded Brake Fluid?.....( does it have to reach a minimum temperate to operate correctly that is only obtained through regular street driving? )

Note that the Camaro took longer to stop in the street test.........makes sense if it were race brake fluid.

High temp fluid and racing pads just don't work as well when cold.

They each have their purpose. Standard brake fluid reaches its operating temp very quickly. Same with factory pads.

If you have ever used the brakes on a car with racing pads and fluid, it would scare the hell out of you for the first 5-10 minutes. You would basically feel like you hardly have any brakes at all.

I ran Baer Claw 12" brakes on all 4 corners of my '91 Mustang GT. I specifically went with one step below the racing pads, for this reason. Still, when cold, you could definitally tell a difference vs warmed up.

Not sure how magazines conduct road tests on road course, but in DE track days, every vehicle on track has to pass tech inspection and that includes the brake moisture test, and only Dot 4 brake fluid is recommended on brake flush. All lug bolts on tires have to be checked and torqued to 94 pounds. Battery has to be properly tied/bolted down and approved helmet has to be worn. No motorcycle helmets allowed as they are not strong enough. Nothing allowed loose in interior or trunks. And the check list is much more extensive than just this. I would hope the road test reviewers follow this check list to the T. All windows have to be open also and if convertible top up. Broomstick test done on roll bars and if not passed roll bar extender is needed. Safety is paramount.

• 3 weeks later...

This "fanboy" was keen on hearing from MTs test driver Randy Probst how much better the GT500 front end rotates than the ZL1 i.e. less understeer. It really seemed to me that Randy preferred the GT500 (he thankied CS for this fine car posthumesly). The pads the GT500 uses are the same all purpose street car pads the 2012 used. Anyone that wishes to play boy racer in one of these behemoths will want to look at track use only pads.

And that my friends is an easier fix than making the ZLi faster...get some ducting to those binders, and high temp pads that allow for multi lap abuse. The GT500 also has an ingenious diff cooler in addition to a trans and oil cooler on the track package.