2014 Land Rover - Lost part of Explorer program?

xlarge.jpg

You don't have to try very hard to find photos of the 2014 Range Rover online, but just in case you were feeling a bit lazy here are two photos clearly showing two angles of the latest big SUV from the brand. Evocative of the Range Rover Evoque, don't you think?

The clearest indication of a new direction is the more aerodynamic front and thinner headlights that wrap around the nose. Basically, it no longer looks like an electric shaver with lights coming straight at you. There's also significant work to the rear, but you only get a hint of this in these shots.

cmt-medium.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/5934546/2014-range-rover-this-is-it

We've heard that a new Explorer was under development in a joint program involving Land Rover models... Is the styling coincidental or would they have been that closely linked?

OR, was the Ford design studio aware of this new Land Rover's design before the sale, and decided to borrow some cues for themselves?

AFAIK, there was no coordination between the D3 Explorer & Land Rover.

There was early exploratory work (per Austin, I think) on platform sharing between the LR3 & BOF Explorer, but in the 'tail wagging the dog' atmosphere of PAG, LR execs nixed that idea and absent a product development czar (Kuzak was the first), their word was law.

And, of course, the small Land Rovers (Evoque, LR2) are based on EUCD.

Edited by RichardJensen

There was early exploratory work (per Austin, I think) on platform sharing between the LR3 & BOF Explorer

This is what I've heard from sources as well. Since the 2011 Explorer was a relatively "quick turn" in product development, could it have taken styling direction from the then-shelved BOF Explorer? I find such similarities to be too much to be coincidental.

I wish TStag would show up and tell us how Ford's 2011 Explorer stole all its styling from the 2014 Land Rover.

Yeah, I saw that and thought Explorer. But to be fair, the Explorer (and Flex) picked up some Range Rover design characteristics themselves. But it's those notched lamps that really bring them closer together. The new Range Rover is a marginally successful design, I don't like what they've done to the fascia but the body is nicely done.

This is what I've heard from sources as well. Since the 2011 Explorer was a relatively "quick turn" in product development, could it have taken styling direction from the then-shelved BOF Explorer?

I don't think so, because I don't think there was a 'shelved' BOF Explorer. The previous BOF design was, I think, going to be EOL'ed. I don't think there were plans for a new or significantly redesigned model.

Recall that the Edge (MY '07) had the first of that stepped headlight design, and that there was undoubtedly cross-pollination between LR & Ford designers at that time....

Edited by RichardJensen

I rememer spy shots of Explorer-based Land Rover mules running around back in the PAG days. A product that obviously never happened.

As for the stepped-headlight design, that was a trend that emerged simultaneously with GMC Acadia and Ford Edge. And the Explorer design is obviously inspired by GM's Lambda products which really caught Ford with its pants down for quite a few years.

Edited by BORG

No. The Explorer's greenhouse is basically dictated by the desire to share engineering & probably some stamping with the Freestyle which predates the Lambdas.

The Freestyle was a very differently packaged Crossover than the Lambda or the Explorer that followed. Ford miscalculated the market with that product and had to play catch-up when GM got it right with Lambda. And unfortunately, the Explorer is still a compromised design with smaller interior space than Lambda and some peculiar design compromises to the roof to hide the theater-style cabin design from the Freestyle.

Edited by BORG

how Ford's 2011 Explorer stole all its styling from the 2014 Land Rover.

Uh, you're entitled to your opinion. So, the 2011 Explorer stole all its styling from the "2014" L-R? Look at the side of the Explorer. See all the side-sculpturing? Stole that from L-R, alright — except the L-R doesn't have any side sculpturing. And the "C" pillars? Love the identical styling. :)

Uh, you're entitled to your opinion. So, the 2011 Explorer stole all its styling from the "2014" L-R? Look at the side of the Explorer. See all the side-sculpturing? Stole that from L-R, alright — except the L-R doesn't have any side sculpturing. And the "C" pillars? Love the identical styling. :)

Take your sarcasm detector in to get looked at... it's on the fritz.

Edited by PREMiERdrum
  • Like 3

AFAIK, there was no coordination between the D3 Explorer & Land Rover.

There was early exploratory work (per Austin, I think) on platform sharing between the LR3 & BOF Explorer, but in the 'tail wagging the dog' atmosphere of PAG, LR execs nixed that idea and absent a product development czar (Kuzak was the first), their word was law.

And, of course, the small Land Rovers (Evoque, LR2) are based on EUCD.

This is a BMW platform that was in the final stages of development when Ford bought LR from BMW. Remember originally they used a BMW V8 which was replaced as quickly as possible to the AJ due to cost. This platform is a "belt and suspenders" with both BOF and unibody elements; very tough but heavy. The architecture of the platform is very unique; there is a real command driving feeling where you feel like you are sitting on top of the vehicle rather than in it. Just take a look at the greenhouse, beltline, and steering wheel relationship. The unique architecture also makes it very tough to do a derivative that looks different.

Ford did investigate this platform for use in Explorer, but it didn't go anywhere. Cost was an issue (this was before D3 Explorer was in the works); LR was completely open to the study, not resistant.

Ford also had another more serious study of an all-aluminum CUV for Lincoln and LR which also died for a number of reasons (most unfortunately; on paper it was wonderful).

Of course there is no question the Explorer borrowed design elements from LR, but since LR was out of the picture, I guess they didn't have to worry about any brand protection at that point.

The Freestyle was a very differently packaged Crossover than the Lambda or the Explorer that followed. Ford miscalculated the market with that product and had to play catch-up when GM got it right with Lambda. And unfortunately, the Explorer is still a compromised design with smaller interior space than Lambda and some peculiar design compromises to the roof to hide the theater-style cabin design from the Freestyle.

2002 Ford Cross Trainer:

Ford-CrossTrainerSketch.jpg

2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005_ford_freestyle_sel_willard_oh_96059764078327841.jpg

2011 Ford Explorer:

2012-ford-explorer-side_7678_001_640x480_ua.jpg

The thick C pillar on the '02 Cross Trainer was not inspired by nor derived from the Lambdas. If it has any antecedent, it's the first RX:

f_31236788-600889a1.jpeg

2002 Ford Cross Trainer:

Ford-CrossTrainerSketch.jpg

2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005_ford_freestyle_sel_willard_oh_96059764078327841.jpg

2011 Ford Explorer:

2012-ford-explorer-side_7678_001_640x480_ua.jpg

The thick C pillar on the '02 Cross Trainer was not inspired by nor derived from the Lambdas. If it has any antecedent, it's the first RX:

f_31236788-600889a1.jpeg

Richard, I'm not talking about trivial things like C-Pillar designs. The Freestyle is a low-slung wagon-like Crossover with a humped-back roof to accommodate a rear passenger compartment. Would you characterize the Lambda and Explorer in the same way? They are tallish Crossovers filling the shoes vacated by BOF 7-seater SUVs. GM simply got their first and Ford was more tentative and indecisive about fully committing to a proper Explorer Crossover so they pumped out the anomalous and ill-conceived Freestyle which made sense to very few consumers.

"Low slung"? What does that even mean?

The Explorer and Freestyle have nearly identical ride heights, clearances and overall heights. Saying that one is 'low slung' and the other 'tallish' is just.......... It defies definition.

The Feestyle is fooling those dimensions because of the tall rear compartment, not the front passenger compartment. All you need to do is look at them side by side to see the different packaging and seat heights. The Explorer brought up the front cowel and the front passenger space. And the Explorer is 2-inches taller than the humpback FeeStyle, so combine that with the the several inches chopped out of the FreeStyle's front compartment and you get a sizable difference. And seriously, all you need to do is stand next to an Explorer and Freestyle/Flex to get a feel for the difference.

Edited by BORG

"Low slung"? What does that even mean?

The Explorer and Freestyle have nearly identical ride heights, clearances and overall heights. Saying that one is 'low slung' and the other 'tallish' is just.......... It defies definition.

The Freestyle and Taurus X look more like Station Wagons vs CUVs....if those photos are to scale, the Freestyle/TX don't have as thick beltline to them as the Explorer. It also appears that the windows where moved up a bit on the doors and the raised rear roof section was carried all the way to the windshield so they could do this on the Explorer, or Flex doors where used instead.

The Explorer has almost the same cowl height as the Freestyle. Its belt line is the same height as the cowl, as opposed to the dipped belt line of the Freestyle, which is why the Explorer's cowl height looks taller, but that's the only significant difference.

And I've stood between both. The Explorer looks like a fat Freestyle more than it looks like anything else, to my eyes.

The Explorer has almost the same cowl height as the Freestyle. Its belt line is the same height as the cowl, as opposed to the dipped belt line of the Freestyle, which is why the Explorer's cowl height looks taller, but that's the only significant difference.

There are two details that make the Explorer look bigger and taller, at least to my eyes: the nose height on the Explorer and the "step" in the Freestyle's roofline. The Freestyle's nose is quite a bit lower, with more slope to the hood, while the Explorer's hood is nearly horizontal--and the front overhang is (visually) shorter than the Freestyle's. The lower front roof height also makes the Freestyle look shorter through the main part of the body; combined with the (visually) lower hoodline, it just looks shorter, even though there's not that much difference in overall height.

And I wonder whether Ford's early cool internal reception to D3 resulted in Freestyle's styling

being that way along with a desire to separate it from the BOF Explorer

In a different universe, Freestyle and Fivehundred could have been engineered differently to take the

4.6 V8 and AWD changing the complexion of the game but the Ford of then wouldn't have allowed it

Edited by jpd80