Kodiak Brown

digijay

Is it just me or is the Kodiak Brown a total disappointment?

I saw it in the brochure and it looked awesome, I was certain that I would order it.

Then when I went to the dealer, I had to be convinced that I wasn't looking at a Black car. The difference between black and brown was next to nil.

Did anyone get the Kodiak Brown? what are you thoughts? Why such a huge difference from the brochure to the real thing?

I have to agree with your assessment of Kodiak Brown. My local dealer had an Escape in stock just before I ordered my car in that color. My salesman even told me it was black while we were walking up to it. It was a warm day and it was very hot inside when I sat in it as well.

Because the color in the photos in brocures can be manipulated. If folks are itching to get this car and are willing to order one sight unseen, Kodiak Brown looks pretty good in the brouchure. I'll admit I was one of those itching to get this car, but before I pulled the trigger, I went to a nearby dealership and looked at a Ginger Ale Taurus on a cloudy and sunny day.

Because the color in the photos in brocures can be manipulated. If folks are itching to get this car and are willing to order one sight unseen, Kodiak Brown looks pretty good in the brouchure. I'll admit I was one of those itching to get this car, but before I pulled the trigger, I went to a nearby dealership and looked at a Ginger Ale Taurus on a cloudy and sunny day.

I love the Gingerale Metallic, great choice! Unfortunately I wasn't able to convince my wife of the same. So we settled on Frosted Glass.

Ginger Ale is a unique color. It looks better on certain models (Escape) than others (Edge), and is largely dependent on the amount of sunlight present. The day I was car shopping happened to be a day it looked more green than gold, and I wasn't too thrilled with it. I saw the Kodiak Brown at the auto show and wasn't sold on it either. There was no mistaking it for black under the show lights, but I can't say I've ever noticed one on the road. It may be the whole brown vs. black confusion pointed out by the OP.

Ginger Ale is a unique color. It looks better on certain models (Escape) than others (Edge), and is largely dependent on the amount of sunlight present. The day I was car shopping happened to be a day it looked more green than gold, and I wasn't too thrilled with it.

I agree. I saw it on an Explorer passing on the road one a sunny day and thought it looked good, but when I went to the dealership and saw it on a Taurus I thought it wasn't a very good color for that car.

It was a little too blah green when I saw it on a cloudy day, so I went back when it was sunny and was thrilled with the metallic gold (Ginger Ale) sparkles. I get many more compliments on the color when it's sunny. I've learned to love it all the time. It's like Jerry's two faced date.

• Like 1

Not a fan of brown on anything. I've seen the color on Explorers and if you want brown, it was nice. I personally liked the Frosted Glass and the new green on the 2013 Explorers. If anything gets me to move back up to a Explorer, it will be the color.

dark colored cars get significantly hotter than light colored

They was a factor years back but every car has efficient AC so that no longer is a issue.

Edited by rscalzo

I have both the Escape brochure and a Ford color chip chart.

None of the color "samples" in the brochure are very accurate compared to the cars in real life. The color chip chart is much closer to what the colors look like on the actual vehicles, and Kodiak Brown does indeed look almost like black. The light has to hit at just the right angle to see any sort of brown tones.

Since Ginger Ale is the color Ford is using in most of their promotional material (at least at launch), it makes it look so natural (and likable) for us to see it on an Escape. It would be in my top 3 choices (the Escape is the wife's daily driver, so she got to choose the color with minimal input from me), and it reminds me of the 70s.

My favorite brown Ford has done in recent years wasn't even labeled as brown. Its Stone Green Metallic CC, we have it on our Expedition and I love it.

My uncle has an Explorer and it might be this Kodiak brown that you are talking about, for the first like 5 times I thought it was black.

468576_10102427699337884_1405449586_o.jpg

• 7 months later...
Has anyone seen this on a vehicle in person? How does it look?

Yes, like it's been already stated, it looks better in the sunlight than in artificial light or on a cloudy day. From far away it looks black, a little closer it looks brown and up close you can see the metallic and it looks great. If you're thinking about buying one, I would find one at a dealership and try look at it under different light conditions and from far away and up close. Color is the first thing you see every time you approach your car. Regardless of how much you like every thing else about it, if you don't like the color, you're disappointed with your choice every time you approach your car.

• 2 weeks later...