If I hadn’t bought a 2012 Fusion, would I buy a 2013?

Taurusguy

Last year it was time to part with my 2000 Taurus. As much as I loved that car, it seemed to reach the point where one thing after another was going wrong. I took it to my local Ford dealer’s service dept. one morning to check out a new rattle, and found out it was going to cost more than I wanted to spend to repair it. I made an on-the-spot decision to trade in the Taurus and drove home a 2012 Fusion that afternoon. I couldn’t be happier. The question is, if my Taurus had lasted a year or so longer, would I now replace it with a 2013 Fusion?

I’m not one of the people who were instantly impressed by the styling of the new Fusion. In several previous posts I’ve been skeptical of the high beltline and wide center console, but my opinions had only been based on photos and videos. For the first time this morning, while at the dealer for an oil change, I had the opportunity to spend some time with a 2013 Fusion in the showroom. While I didn’t get to drive one, I was able to sit inside and form a better opinion.

On the outside, yes, it is a good looking car. There were no surprises seeing the car in person, as I’ve seen photos of just about every angle online. It was the interior that concerned me the most.

The interior, I have to say, is very comfortable and inviting. The cloth seats are much smoother and softer than those in my 2012 (not sure about durability), and it’s noticeably wider. It actually felt, in size, comparable to being inside the 2000 Taurus. To me, the upper door frames and seals also look very similar to those on the 1996-2006 Taurus. That’s a good thing. The car I sat in had no moonroof (I’m 6’4” tall, so I never buy a car with a moonroof because I don’t want to give up the headroom). There was enough headroom to allow me to raise the power driver’s seat to a position where outward visibility all around was actually very good and my head was still far enough away from the headliner. While the center stack is wider, higher, and more intrusive than I’d like, it’s not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be. The tray and power outlet under the control panel is nice, but it’s awkward to get to with the shifter in the way, and reaching around to the side openings isn’t very easy. Also, I found the left foot rest to be too close to the door opening, not allowing my leg to stretch out as much as in the 2012, something that the sales manager said others at the dealership had already noticed. Oh, by the way, for 2010-2012 Fusion owners that complained about the sun visors being sprung to only stay in 2 positions – either up on the ceiling or all the way out to the windshield – that problem is gone. The new sun visors will stay anywhere in between.

The rear seat was comfortable. Anyone under 6’ tall would have plenty of room, even with the driver’s seat where I placed it for my long legs.

What really surprised and disappointed me, however, was the trunk. I already knew it was less roomy than the 2012, but I wasn’t expecting to see that the rear deck lid only lifts up as high as my shoulders. To get anything in or out I would have to bend down and duck under the lid. I’ve never had to do that with any other car! I took the picture to show how the opening is actually more horizontal than vertical, due to the swooping rear window. For what it’s worth, there’s a handle on the left side that lets you pull the lid down from the inside, without having to touch the outside. post-12108-0-13417000-1349541147_thumb.jpg

Just a couple more small points; I was concerned about how far the side mirrors stick out, especially when navigating in and out of a standard garage door opening or when parked outside a busy shopping center, but they do fold in. I especially like the keyless entry keypad hidden in the upper door frame of the driver’s door, and how it’s standard on the SE. That’s something I actually use a lot.

Again, I didn’t get to drive this car, but from what I’ve read, I’m sure it would be as nice as, or better than mine.

So back to my original question, if timing had worked out differently and I was in the market for a new car now, would I buy the new Fusion? Yes. I’m still just as happy with my 2012, though. I wonder what the 2023 Fusion will be like.

Edited by Taurusguy

I test drove a '13 Fusion and a C-MAX yesterday. The new Fusion is a top quality car and a huge leap forward from the old Fusion.... but I will not buy the new version.

Just like the Taurus, the center console is an irritant to my right leg.

At 6'3" 240 lbs, I want a sedan that I can stretch out in when cruising down the highway. If I want a sports car, I'll buy a two door coup.

The C-MAX center stack is much like the Escape and Focus. They too hit my right leg, but not to the extent the Fusion or Taurus does.

I'm disappointed.

Deadman64: You may have to lower the seat... but you will have enough head room in the '13 Fusion.

Edited by mettech

Deadman64: You may have to lower the seat... but you will have enough head room in the '13 Fusion.

I just checked my dealer and sat in one with and without a sunroof. Didn't seem to be much difference in headroom clearance but its darn close. I have about an inch before hitting if that.

But are you saying there is a way to lower the seat or do you just mean lean back more? I like to sit perfectly straight while driving for some reason...

I want a sedan that I can stretch out in when cruising down the highway. If I want a sports car, I'll buy a two door coup.

I'm with you!!! Unfortunately, this new center stack design seems to be the trend with many cars now, not just Fords. I just don't understand it.

Just like the Taurus, the center console is an irritant to my right leg.

At 6'3" 240 lbs, I want a sedan that I can stretch out in when cruising down the highway. If I want a sports car, I'll buy a two door coup.

The C-MAX center stack is much like the Escape and Focus. They too hit my right leg, but not to the extent the Fusion or Taurus does.

How the hell do you guys sit in your cars? I had no problems with the Taurus nor the new Fusion with the center consoles in them...the ST Focus was a different story though....

How the hell do you guys sit in your cars? I had no problems with the Taurus nor the new Fusion with the center consoles in them...the ST Focus was a different story though....

I'm with this guy, I'm also 6'3" 230lbs and I don't have any issue with the center stack. I thought the Fusion was pretty comfortable, I didn't even need to put the seat all the way back.

lol... I like to bend my legs and spread them out when on cruse control.

Regardless of how I sit in the 13 Fusion or Taurus... my right leg is in contact with the center stack.

I agree that the Fusion and Taurus seats are comfortable, the arm rest are well placed, but I find the center stack for me is very confining.

I would be interested in the Taurus PI interior that removes the center stack completely.

lol... I like to bend my legs and spread them out when on cruse control.

Sounds like you need a Buick Roadmaster.

I would be interested in the Taurus PI interior that removes the center stack completely.

And the Taurus PI still has the same width center stack..just isn't as high and has a smaller armrest. You'd still have the same issues with your legs.

2012-ford-police-interceptor-interior.jpg

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 2

I like to bend my legs and spread them out when on cruse control.

Regardless of how I sit in the 13 Fusion or Taurus... my right leg is in contact with the center stack.

I spread my legs out also, but I don't have a problem with resting the side of my leg on the center stack either...never had any discomfort or anything from it.

While I like the "swooping down" panel it was a nightmare on the CTS because it narrowed the leg room out. After sitting in the new fusion, I don't seem to have as much of a problem but I'm not 6'3. I would say though it's a nice improvement over what I'm driving now (CTS) and a major panel facelift over the current 2010 Fusion.