Election Predictions

We could even get into good ol' Haliburton connections to Iraq war. But I will say this about Obama...he has not run a very good campaign in my estimation, and if he loses next week, he only has himself to blame. I still don't see a vision from him about economy other than not going back to Bush years which I agree with. But I always felt he needed to be clearer on where he wants to take us. No talk from him about rising poverty, more people than ever on food stamps, and cities like Detroit that continue to get worse/more violent. I still don't see the passion from Obama that he really wants a second term to make this a better country for everyone. Still get the feeling that the first four years have beaten him down to such an extent that the old fire is gone for most part. As election gets closer, I don't see the fervor for him as in '08, and Obama has failed to reignite it for most part. Kind of tragic in that Obama is a good man, and his policies are better than what the backward Repubs offer, but Obama doesn't seem like the candidate to clarify them with cogent vision. If Obama loses, I can only hope and pray that Romney is really much more moderate and will push many of Obama's policies like complete streets, green energy, HSR between large cities less than 500 miles apart, affordable health care, big city problems, violence, and on and on. I also hope that the Senate stays Demo so that Romney if he is a true conservative like it says on his bus can't push through his ruinous agenda.

Obviously the so-called "fevor" that you experenced in 08 was just that.....an emotional feeling....you like so many other people got caught up in that "fevor".....the tingling up the leg....back in 08 when people were questioning his background and his ability, they were labeled as racist, when in fact most could see that he lack the ability to do the job...had nothing to do with the color of his skin....now the new has worn off and people like you are becoming disillusioned and just can't seem to realize what happened....now "the chickens have come home to roost"......he's been an abject failure ...an empty suit....

• Like 2

Well he gave it a shot and fell way short. Unfortunately there was nothing in his past to be indicative of something miraculous happening in the future when he was elected.

The really sad part is many people still believe that the guy posses some level of greatness or economic smarts. Its sure not based on his record.

Not that Romney is anything amazing either but when it comes to economics and business Romney is light years ahead. Given the fact that he was a Governor in a heavy democrat state I would wager Romney is more of a compromise guy than Obama could ever hope to be. When you don't know what you are doing and unwilling to compromise you get Obama.

• Like 1

Well he gave it a shot and fell way short. Unfortunately there was nothing in his past to be indicative of something miraculous happening in the future when he was elected.

The really sad part is many people still believe that the guy posses some level of greatness or economic smarts. Its sure not based on his record.

Not that Romney is anything amazing either but when it comes to economics and business Romney is light years ahead. Given the fact that he was a Governor in a heavy democrat state I would wager Romney is more of a compromise guy than Obama could ever hope to be. When you don't know what you are doing and unwilling to compromise you get Obama.

We get it....Romney will make your beer go down better when you are watching NFL on TV. If you actually think he will stem the flow of red ink while he cuts tax revenue more, and increase defense spending significantly, think again. Even if in long run his plan produces lots of new jobs which is doubtful, it will take many years and meanwhile deficit will grow if he does what he says. Don't forget there is Europe that Romney can't control and our biggest trading partner. Cuts by Ford are just the beginning. While Romney may have more business experience, it will take some time to put foreign policy team together and he is a rookie there. Not looking forward to change in White House with lots of potential crisis situations out there in the making.

• Like 2

We were in for 13 rough years no matter who was in the white house. Read any reputable analysis. Credit bubble busts all the way back to the Panic of 1873, and including the Great Depression, are characterized by a 'U' shaped recovery with dampened economic growth and persistent unemployment. Neither of these guys or their parties has the cure. Unfortunately, every Presidential candidate since 1980 learned from Carter what happens when you talk squarely about the economy to the American people instead of blowing sunshine up their ass. It pains me to see Obama shrink away from the honest hard talk, but it is also absurd to see Romney talking out one side of his mouth about how the government doesn't create jobs, then out the other side say that he has "a plan to create 12,000,000 new jobs" - when we elect him head of the government. Anybody not see the absurdity in this? Anybody think he is being seriously honest when he makes these claims? Puhleeze. David Stockman said it best about Romney's brand of job creation:

Except Mitt Romney was not a businessman; he was a master financial speculator who bought, sold, flipped, and stripped businesses. He did not build enterprises the old-fashioned way—out of inspiration, perspiration, and a long slog in the free market fostering a new product, service, or process of production. Instead, he spent his 15 years raising debt in prodigious amounts on Wall Street so that Bain could purchase the pots and pans and castoffs of corporate America, leverage them to the hilt, gussy them up as reborn “roll-ups,” and then deliver them back to Wall Street for resale—the faster the better.

Read the whole piece by Stockman here LINK. I don't agree with a lot he has done in his career - he was a devoted supply-sider back in the day, but his criticism of late-stage metastatic finance capitalism here is right on. And Romney is the angel of late stage metastatic finance capitalism in this election. But why should his economic policy be any different than his overriding political policy: opportunism?

Edited by retro-man
  • Like 1

By the way: fun poll released by BBC world opinion a few days ago. Of the countries surveyed only Pakistan showed majority support for Romney over Obama. None of the other countries surveyed were even close. Here's 2 clues for the clueless, to demystify these results:

- Drone strikes under President Obama (for Pakistan)

- The memory of the last President the Republican Party gave us (for every other country in the world)

tumblr_mcgpmsROiw1rdkipfo1_500.gif

Edited by retro-man

Mit

We were in for 13 rough years no matter who was in the white house. Read any reputable analysis. Credit bubble busts all the way back to the Panic of 1873, and including the Great Depression, are characterized by a 'U' shaped recovery with dampened economic growth and persistent unemployment. Neither of these guys or their parties has the cure. Unfortunately, every Presidential candidate since 1980 learned from Carter what happens when you talk squarely about the economy to the American people instead of blowing sunshine up their ass. It pains me to see Obama shrink away from the honest hard talk, but it is also absurd to see Romney talking out one side of his mouth about how the government doesn't create jobs, then out the other side say that he has "a plan to create 12,000,000 new jobs" - when we elect him head of the government. Anybody not see the absurdity in this? Anybody think he is being seriously honest when he makes these claims? Puhleeze. David Stockman said it best about Romney's brand of job creation:

Read the whole piece by Stockman here LINK. I don't agree with a lot he has done in his career - he was a devoted supply-sider back in the day, but his criticism of late-stage metastatic finance capitalism here is right on. And Romney is the angel of late stage metastatic finance capitalism in this election. But why should his economic policy be any different than his overriding political policy: opportunism?

Mitt basically rejected his father's way of doing business when he was CEO of AMC. He learned the new way at Harvard Business School, and the new way doesn't believe in creating millions of new jobs and enriching the middle class. You use as few employees as possible, outsource as much as possible, and pay the lowest wage possible. It's all about maximizing profits and/or finding company which will pay premium, highly leveraged price for you down the road if they think you have your business model correct. Look at big business today....trillions in their treasuries, record profits for most part, and anemic job growth, and hiccup in Europe causes them to announce new layoffs. Mom and Pop Pizza hiring an extra delivery person is not going to enrich the middle class. Or some small industrial concern hiring $12/hour employees is not going to do it either. Romney is blowing smoke up your ass. Partisan politics is all it is. Not that Obama is going to do much better, but at least he doesn't plan on gutting tax revenues and giving more money to wasteful defense department.

• Like 3

By the way: fun poll released by BBC world opinion a few days ago. Of the countries surveyed only Pakistan showed majority support for Romney over Obama. None of the other countries surveyed were even close. Here's 2 clues for the clueless, to demystify these results:

- The memory of the last President the Republican Party gave us (for every other country in the world)

Yawn

Sounds as if you have voter's remorse.....you bought into obama last time and now you want to criticize Romney by saying he'll be unable to do the same things obama was unable to do.......confused much?....and Stockman..really?

Romney is light years ahead of Obama in economics? What exactly is Romney's plan for the economy? With the exception of healthcare, Obama has done nothing but compromise. Remember the Grand Bargain? Obama gave Boehner everything he wanted!
  • Like 1

Romney is light years ahead of Obama in economics? What exactly is Romney's plan for the economy? With the exception of healthcare, Obama has done nothing but compromise. Remember the Grand Bargain? Obama gave Boehner everything he wanted!

Romney isn't about creating jobs, but about creating profits if possible and that usually means cutting or offshoring jobs. Major reason for CEO support. Most people trying to raise family aren't looking for Mom and Pop job in some small business with less than 100 employees and minimal wage and benefits package. And believe it or not, some of those good jobs are in public sector also like school districts, and state and municipalities that offer good packages. Many Repubs are just pissed off they are working some minimal wage job or jobs and resent those who have the education and skill to earn much more, be it in private or public sector.

Again, Romney's plan is to gut tax revenue, ask for pie in the sky end to certain tax loopholes, create at least short term even greater debt crisis, and hope big business decides to hire more and Mom and Pop businesses add delivery drivers down the road. I'd rather keep with steady, but slow recovery than ask for short term pain in hopes of some greater job growth years out after we go through another recession caused by more red ink and major cuts in government sector.

• Like 3

Romney isn't about creating jobs, but about creating profits if possible and that usually means cutting or offshoring jobs. Major reason for CEO support. Most people trying to raise family aren't looking for Mom and Pop job in some small business with less than 100 employees and minimal wage and benefits package. And believe it or not, some of those good jobs are in public sector also like school districts, and state and municipalities that offer good packages. Many Repubs are just pissed off they are working some minimal wage job or jobs and resent those who have the education and skill to earn much more, be it in private or public sector.

Again, Romney's plan is to gut tax revenue, ask for pie in the sky end to certain tax loopholes, create at least short term even greater debt crisis, and hope big business decides to hire more and Mom and Pop businesses add delivery drivers down the road. I'd rather keep with steady, but slow recovery than ask for short term pain in hopes of some greater job growth years out after we go through another recession caused by more red ink and major cuts in government sector.

Let me help you:

Many visitors from abroad are surprised to learn that even today, the U.S. economy is by no means dominated by giant corporations. Fully 99 percent of all independent enterprises in the country employ fewer than 500 people. These small enterprises account for 52 percent of all U.S. workers, according to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Some 19.6 million Americans work for companies employing fewer than 20 workers, 18.4 million work for firms employing between 20 and 99 workers, and 14.6 million work for firms with 100 to 499 workers. By contrast, 47.7 million Americans work for firms with 500 or more employees.

So called Mom and Pop businesses is what built this country......

Let me help you:

Many visitors from abroad are surprised to learn that even today, the U.S. economy is by no means dominated by giant corporations. Fully 99 percent of all independent enterprises in the country employ fewer than 500 people. These small enterprises account for 52 percent of all U.S. workers, according to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Some 19.6 million Americans work for companies employing fewer than 20 workers, 18.4 million work for firms employing between 20 and 99 workers, and 14.6 million work for firms with 100 to 499 workers. By contrast, 47.7 million Americans work for firms with 500 or more employees.

So called Mom and Pop businesses is what built this country......

That pretty much explains the demise of the middlle class. Thank you for explaining it so well. For example, back in 1968 for two straight summers during my college years I worked for Chevy Gear and Axle and made union wages and benefits. Today if I did the same I would be working for some auto spin off auto supplier for $10/hour with very limited benefits and no union. Around me are loads of small auto suppliers that are always hiring, but all the jobs are low wage going nowhere jobs that wouldn't even rate as good summer job for college student. The workers come into gas station by me with their beat out cars and bare bones existence. The working poor will only grow more under Romney.

• Like 3

That pretty much explains the demise of the middlle class. Thank you for explaining it so well. For example, back in 1968 for two straight summers during my college years I worked for Chevy Gear and Axle and made union wages and benefits. Today if I did the same I would be working for some auto spin off auto supplier for $10/hour with very limited benefits and no union. Around me are loads of small auto suppliers that are always hiring, but all the jobs are low wage going nowhere jobs that wouldn't even rate as good summer job for college student. The workers come into gas station by me with their beat out cars and bare bones existence. The working poor will only grow more under Romney.

Oh yeah, they've done so well under obama.....

Lol.

And electing our president is now a foreign popularity contest? Who else really gives a shit what any other nations thinks??

They like our money #1 and someone that will more likely side with them Vs anyone that could possible cut those funds and cause THEM problems.

• Like 1

That sounds sooooo good if it were only true.

When Obama and the Dems had 100% control of both houses and the WH what did they get passed on their own when no one could stop anything if they wanted to?

(Use additional sheets of paper if necessary)

The answer is not a lot. There was more in fighting among the democratic party than ANYTHING any republican or other could do to stop anything. Hell even the democrat controlled congress shot down Obama's own budget how many times? If you want to try to blame that on someone or something else go for it but you are WAY off base. If Obama can not get along with his own party how in the hell is he going to even attempt to get along with anyone else? The speaker of the house is a joke anyway. Obama does not compromise , he tries to do what HE thinks is right . The trouble is he has not a clue whats right or wrong and that adds to the problems.

Remember when he was against raising the debt ceiling because its irresponsible.

He said / promised to cut it in 1/2

He added over 5 trillion to it.

He was either wrong before and correct now.

Correct before and wrong now

or

He has not a frigging clue what those real debt numbers translate to in the real world.

Romney-

I am looking at him to hopefully address the national debt and cut up the governments credit card. Obama sure as hell did not come close.

He actually ran a states budget BEFORE playing with 50 states. He worked with a heavy democrat state legislature , Obama cant get along with his own party.

Obama's last 4 years have been poor all the while he and the dems could have done ANYTHING they wanted, just admit it and stop trying to pass the blame.

Its his record and it sucks. Obama's plan is to slam Romney. Yep, that a GREAT plan alright. Simple things for simple minds so I am glad you "bit" on it.

As I see it, a lot of the problem seems to be money already spoken for, monthly bills to whatever government department essential to the continued operation,

that bureaucracy seems to stop reigning in the costs, the public servants seem to have hold of the cash tin and no amount of prizing it seems to work.

The moment a dem or Rep wants to cut something, pressure groups jump out nowhere and beat them up. Well guess what, no matter who gets elected they need

to have a strong mandate for change and cutting the deficit, everyone top to bottom needs to make cuts and get the country back on track, Europe is going to shit

and the US better be ready to catch the fall out and run with the ball...There's a great opportunity coming to slingshot the US back into being a safe haven financially.

I wish the US people all the best in the coming weeks and hope Y'all get the government you deserve to get back in the black.

Edited by jpd80

That sounds sooooo good if it were only true.

When Obama and the Dems had 100% control of both houses and the WH what did they get passed on their own when no one could stop anything if they wanted to?

(Use additional sheets of paper if necessary)

The answer is not a lot. There was more in fighting among the democratic party than ANYTHING any republican or other could do to stop anything. Hell even the democrat controlled congress shot down Obama's own budget how many times? If you want to try to blame that on someone or something else go for it but you are WAY off base. If Obama can not get along with his own party how in the hell is he going to even attempt to get along with anyone else? The speaker of the house is a joke anyway. Obama does not compromise , he tries to do what HE thinks is right . The trouble is he has not a clue whats right or wrong and that adds to the problems.

Remember when he was against raising the debt ceiling because its irresponsible.

He said / promised to cut it in 1/2

He added over 5 trillion to it.

He was either wrong before and correct now.

Correct before and wrong now

or

He has not a frigging clue what those real debt numbers translate to in the real world.

Romney-

I am looking at him to hopefully address the national debt and cut up the governments credit card. Obama sure as hell did not come close.

He actually ran a states budget BEFORE playing with 50 states. He worked with a heavy democrat state legislature , Obama cant get along with his own party.

Obama's last 4 years have been poor all the while he and the dems could have done ANYTHING they wanted, just admit it and stop trying to pass the blame.

Its his record and it sucks. Obama's plan is to slam Romney. Yep, that a GREAT plan alright. Simple things for simple minds so I am glad you "bit" on it.

After all your bluster, you didn't answer my question. Just complained about Obama.Then devoted two lines to Rmoney and they included the word "hopefully".

BTW Rmoney did not work with the Mass state legislature like you proclaim. He vetoed almost 800 bills they put on his desk. The good news is they overrode his vetos every time.

You have no clue as to what Rmoney's plan is for the economy.

Edited by partsisparts

hope Y'all get the government you deserve .......

I appreciate the good wishes, but be careful what you wish for. I'm afraid this dysfunctional, poop-flinging, filibustering, mendacious, pandering, sold-to-the-highest-bidder, government we have might actually be the government we deserve.

• Like 1

I appreciate the good wishes, but be careful what you wish for. I'm afraid this dysfunctional, poop-flinging, filibustering, mendacious, pandering, sold-to-the-highest-bidder, government we have might actually be the government we deserve.

Ain't that the truth.... lol

Worst still is if we have been getting a short term offset for the government we deserve and the time is up.

We are damned by our own actions.