New Fusion Owner Pics and Impressions

MineralstangGT

I took delivery of my '13 Fusion Hybrid SE today.

12 weeks since I placed the order.

Though the last 1.5-2 weeks were due to my holiday traveling.

So, all in all, I think I did fine on that department.

Only drove the car from dealer to my place, so far. 12-13 miles.

Some quick impressions:

- overall, liking it a lot.

- it feels more upscale and looks prettier than I expected (I used to own an '11 FFH and test drove a '13 FFH almost identical, save color and wheels, to my order)

- for those 12-13 miles, I did 39.5 mpg. Up to the last mile, it was 45.1 mpg, but my last mile to get home has > 300 ft of elevation and has long been an mpg killer. Certainly too early to tell for sure, but it looks promising for me to be able to see the lifetime mpg in the low 40s range, which is what I expected when I placed the order.

- tons of features and gizmos it will take me some time to dig into. Even compared to my '11 Fusion Hybrid. I am sure I will look for some help on this forum (and probably the fusion hybrid forum, which I still need to sign up for) !

That's it for now.

Great way to start the new year!

Below a few (hastily taken) pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91832337@N02/sets/72157632425817807/

EDIT - I'm new to Flickr and must be doing something wrong

For some reason the original link shows a black rectangle on my iPad.

Here's a link to one of the pictures (and, from there, you can see the others if interested)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91832337@N02/8344725650/

Edited by Salva
  • Like 4

EDIT - I'm new to Flickr and must be doing something wrong

For some reason the original link shows a black rectangle on my iPad.

I get the same since I have NoScript running as a browser add-on, I believe it's black because the javascript that Flickr is trying to run is being blocked. When I choose the option to temporarily allow Flickr to run scripting, then the pictures show up just fine. I don't have an iPad but I assume there are similar settings that may need to be loosened up.

The front end is loaded with sensors:

sonar which I believe is used for the parking assist

Radar which I believe is used for Adaptive Cruise

and a Camera which I believe is used for lane holding

I've only put about 80 miles on it so far and have felt the Big Brother effects of everything but parking assist.

Parallel parking is a rare thing here in NW Houston.

I have a question about those sensor dimples in the front bumper. Are those for the active park assist feature?

As mentioned there's a ton.....hard to say which is for what but some are for the park waring (beeps when you get close) - have those front & rear. I'd wager the ones on the corner are for the park assist, those directly in front for the close warning.

It has 70 computers - who's to say what does what :D

Here is my new purchase! SE in Platinum White with 2.0L eco boost.

Loving it so far. Converted a Honda guy for this car.

I had a question with the engine though. I have a "ticking", or "clicking" i noticed only when outisde the car. It seems to be coming from the right side of the engine when I listen with the hood open. It doesn't sound like it is coming from the engine, more from the side of the engine. Can anyone let me know what this might be, and if it is normal?

Thanks

post-49221-0-86160200-1357490532_thumb.jpg

post-49221-0-44018100-1357490541_thumb.jpg

post-49221-0-44049500-1357490552_thumb.jpg

post-49221-0-52494200-1357490563_thumb.jpg

Could it be the Direct Injection? They have a specific sound that can be misinterpreted as a clicking.

If you're at all concerned just take it in to the dealer, or find somebody else with a GDI engine and listen to it.

BTW, nice pictures! The car is stunning. Did you tint the windows or is that just the anti glare of the stock windows?

Could it be the Direct Injection? They have a specific sound that can be misinterpreted as a clicking.

If you're at all concerned just take it in to the dealer, or find somebody else with a GDI engine and listen to it.

BTW, nice pictures! The car is stunning. Did you tint the windows or is that just the anti glare of the stock windows?

That would be my vote, the injectors do click (or tick).

Thanks for the comments. I just had the windows tinted before i took the pics.

I have heard that about the ecoboost turbo engines and the injectors making the ticking, so i wasnt too concerned. I am heading into the dealer in a few days and they are going to take a listen, and i am also going to listen to one at the dealer to make sure it sounds the same.

Thanks for the replies everyone! The YouTube video sounds exactly like what I hear. I was just concerned, as I have never owned a Ford before, and all my new cars have been whisper quiet.

I am quite confident that is it just the Direct Injection they refer to in the video.

Here is the link to the video for anyone else who might have the same question as me.

• Like 1

Noticed the other day the Fusion doesn't have a low washer fluid warning. Thought that was a little odd.

I thought the warning was when it stops coming out of the nozzles! I guess I haven't driven a nice enough car the last 10 years to know that's something that you get warned about now. That would be handy.

Edited by MineralstangGT
  • Like 1

Noticed the other day the Fusion doesn't have a low washer fluid warning. Thought that was a little odd.

Are you kidding me? WTF! With everything these cars come with they missed this feature???

I'm at a loss for words.......... :rant:

EDIT: I just had a thought... Does it display in the Information screen the level of the washer fluid? There might not be a dedicated light, but it could be there... I searched the owners manual for any indication, but on page 66 it mentions the General information section for more information, but when I look through that section of the manual starting on page 84 I can't see anything about wipers or washer fluid.

Anyways, it's not a deal breaker for me, but definitely a head scratcher....

Edited by JSKershaw

Are you kidding me? WTF! With everything these cars come with they missed this feature???

I'm at a loss for words.......... :rant:

EDIT: I just had a thought... Does it display in the Information screen the level of the washer fluid? There might not be a dedicated light, but it could be there... I searched the owners manual for any indication, but on page 66 it mentions the General information section for more information, but when I look through that section of the manual starting on page 84 I can't see anything about wipers or washer fluid.

Anyways, it's not a deal breaker for me, but definitely a head scratcher....

Wow, no windshield washer fluid warning, think I will cancel.