Lincoln Makers

"Free" Gift perks are a given for luxury cars:

BMW does it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-1353120.html

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621850

Apparently Audi and Mercedes do too:

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r172-general-discussion/26044-did-you-receive-free-gift-mercedes-after-purchase.html

Hell i got a USB Fiesta from Ford for free w/o buying one!

Cadillac too:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/269164-free-gift-cadillac-firsts.html

The Lincoln's is a "pre-Perk" just for pre-ordering. I imagine they'll sent some nifty stuff afterwards.

Look, most of us here don't care about this stuff. I'm more concerned about the product. But the buyers of cars like this are used to preferential treatment: Airline Mileage bonuses, credit card perks, gifts from their Real Estate Broker, etc. They want to be pampered.....so be it.

I actually don't see this as cheesy. I think Richard hits it on the head--Lincoln is trying to instill the feel of luxury and a differentiated experience. Potential buyers willing to reserve like this are likely to be prior buyers of other luxury brands or users of other luxury providers (hotels, etc). They've come to expect an "above and beyond" and it would seem the key in each of these gifts is that they are CUSTOM.

Like the jewelry...it's sort of a neat idea--you can choose an item and personalize it or actually assist in the design of your own piece. The same with the wine gift. Some may enjoy it, some may not. They could give $2000 off if you RESERVE NOW!!! but that cheapens the experience. Most luxury buyers don't throw away money for the hell of it, but they aren't haggling over the price for 5 hours to get some sub-prime lender to approve their loan.

These are the types of steps Lincoln needs to do NOW...to introduce the re-launch of the brand, so people can SEE this while the rollout of the new models is starting...especially given that slow pace at this point. If it doesn't work well, they can try something else. Why does everything have to be "I don't know what I would do...but I know this sucks. Lincoln's a failure." Jeez, I thought I was a cynical, negative person.

The point is: Lincoln is trying to find the way to combine what's absolutely necessary (improved product) with the ancillary needs to maximize that product--marketing to the customers they think are most likely to buy. It's a process...it's not launching nuclear weapons--a misstep doesn't end the company.

Edited by BrewfanGRB
  • Like 2

I'd tell a lot more folks about a much better dealership service experience. Until Lincoln upgrades the dealers, Lincoln is Fords for old farts.

We tried the Lincoln thing. After two years of it, are giving up the MKT and bought an Escape Titanium. The final straw was the last repair visit for things that should not be a problem in a Lincoln, and then taking 4 weeks to get parts to fix. The salt in the wound was the rediculously low trade in value. During the entire 2 years of ownership, the car was never without problems being worked and every trip to the dealer was one snafu after another. Never again.

Seat track that wore out the bushings since it moves every time you get in or out and now rocks at every stop light. A sunroof shade that will no longer close and a ceiling vent the fell on the floor. Electric 3rd row seats that fold up our dog while the car is moving, a dealer that cannot even use the right oil or stock it. Really? My wife would not even take the car in as she refused to deal with the dealer 'service'. When I finally did and they had to order parts then wait.....and wait. Every time while driving, hating the experience more and more, including a 2000 mile road trip.

Nope, no more low production, fluf promises of service old mens cars. Still a Ford fan but done with the Lincoln experience.

Edited by jcthorne

I'd tell a lot more folks about a much better dealership service experience. Until Lincoln upgrades the dealers, its Fords for old farts.

We tried the Lincoln thing. After two years of it, are giving up the MKT and bought an Excape Titanium. The final straw was the last repair visit for things that should not be a problem in a Lincoln, and then taking 4 weeks to get parts to fix. The salt in the wound was the rediculously low trade in value. Never again.

Seat track that wore out the bushings since it moves every time you get in or out and now rocks at every stop light. A sunroof shade that will no longer close and a ceiling vent the fell on the floor. Really? My wife would not even take the car in as she refused to deal with the dealer 'service'. When I finally did and they had to order parts then wait.....and wait. Every time while driving, hating the experience more and more, including a 2000 mile road trip.

Nope, no more low production, fluf promises of service old mens cars. Still a Ford fan but done with the Lincoln experience.

I've always had more problems with my Lincolns than my Fords, go figure. But I wouldn't necessarily give up Lincoln because of it since I still like the cars much better. My service experience at Lincoln varies by dealership, same with Ford.

I was expecting BETTER from Lincoln than I had from most Ford dealers. Was not the case. In most every category from scheduling, parts availabilty, product knowledge, competence and workmanship of service persons etc My Lincoln experience was well below the average I have experienced with Ford. Not the worst, there are some low points over 30 yrs to be sure. But not what I was lead to believe I was buying in to and paying extra for.

The low product resale values show the marketplace feels the same way.

Somewhat related, I noticed that the sole-remaining Lincoln store in Columbus has been sponsoring and having quite a visible image at most of the city's elite events.

Most recently, they were a premier sponsor of the JaZoo event at the Columbus Zoo, a super fancy, elite night of drinking and music at the park. The event kicked off with a "red carpet" for all guests which featured a "LINCOLN" logo backdrop and several Lincoln models on hand.

I don't know if the dealer is getting support from Lincoln at all, or doing it on their own, but it has been great to see the brand out there again, especially in such a context.

Somewhat related, I noticed that the sole-remaining Lincoln store in Columbus has been sponsoring and having quite a visible image at most of the city's elite events.

Most recently, they were a premier sponsor of the JaZoo event at the Columbus Zoo, a super fancy, elite night of drinking and music at the park. The event kicked off with a "red carpet" for all guests which featured a "LINCOLN" logo backdrop and several Lincoln models on hand.

I don't know if the dealer is getting support from Lincoln at all, or doing it on their own, but it has been great to see the brand out there again, especially in such a context.

My guess is they're getting either financial support or at the very least encouragement and direction and maybe people resources from corporate.