China' $10,000 car to arrive here in 2008

AAISkinsFan

We knew this was coming.

One advantage the Chinese car companies have, as every worker who has lost a job that was outsourced to China well knows, is low labor costs. Geely's average cost for its workers in China is $3.50 an hour, Harmer said. That compares with hourly labor costs of $73.73 for GM, which includes wages, health care expenses, pension and other costs.

Tough to match those #'s.

Link

We knew this was coming.

Tough to match those #'s.

Link

Yes... And this clearly demostrates that the solutions to this country's manufactoring probems will not, and can not, come from us, the workers. Odviously, in China, our most favored trade nation and infamous human rights violaters, people can live off of $3.50 an hour. I guess we could, if we all went on welfare, food stamps, and into subsidized housing, but then who would pay for that? Or for our parasitic government?

If you are an 'outsider' reading this, do not consider this purely an auto industry issue. This is a large portion of the US manufactoring base, which has already sustained the loss of three million jobs in the last 5 years. Every auto job lost leads to the loss of 8 jobs outside of the auto industry. I wonder how many 'other' jobs were lost, due to those 3 million? There are only so many hamburger joints...

Folks, save your money and use your ETAP. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst...

One word.....Yugo. I just don't see any car for $10,000 being of any quality.

you know strange you mentioned that..jsut took a 'mini' chopper class from ETAP and it was built in china...anyway it is very CRAPPY quality...had to pretty much rebuild it with other parts!! lol

i dont expect high quality like japan did......the old saying is true ..you get what you pay for!!!

oh yeah the bike was 300$

Yeah, And, if anybody starts to take about forming an union,,,, they take him outside, and put a bullet in his brain. :o

They already have a union, in called People's Republic of China

The commiteeman love it but I hear they poop on their rank and file too

It may be a Yugo in 2008 but I am certain that China can become the next Korea which was the next Japan

by 2020 I expect Iraq to be the next 'next'

'sides its not direct competition to Ford, we have not been in entry level cars since the Aspire

The name is pronounced "Jee-lee"?!!! Isn't that how the Ben Afflek/Jennifer Lopez movie Gigli was pronounced? I hope this car has the same fate.

This car comes from the same China that said last month they would nuke us if we tried to stop an invasion of Taiwan. China is so openly hostile to the US and is quickly becoming a powerhouse. If this continues the world will be back to the same cold war of the 20th century - only this time with a much more powerful rival.

The name is pronounced "Jee-lee"?!!! Isn't that how the Ben Afflek/Jennifer Lopez movie Gigli was pronounced? I hope this car has the same fate.

This car comes from the same China that said last month they would nuke us if we tried to stop an invasion of Taiwan. China is so openly hostile to the US and is quickly becoming a powerhouse. If this continues the world will be back to the same cold war of the 20th century - only this time with a much more powerful rival.

First, it is true that you could get a bullet in the head for any infraction the government deems dangerous. I have heard more than once that the government charges the family for the cost of the bullet.

Everyone likes to rag on the Kia, they have a 100,000 mile warranty. Nikki Kruschev,former president of the Soviet Union, once claimed the USSR will hang the U.S. with the rope we sell them.

China just might pull it off. Especially with the help of American multi-national corporation investments.

American corporations have no sense of national pride unless it helps sell their product.

So let me get this straight, the big 2.5 thought they would make a buck in china by forced "partnering" with local chinese car manufacturers. But what really happened is the chinese where able to leap frog there technology by using north american and european enginnering prowness and now they are going to sing all the way to the communist owned bank the billions more they are going to make off alot of stupid self-centered egotistical selfish a-hole u.s. car buyers. Serves the big 2.5 right for letting them selves be partnered with a chinese company who's obviously going to five finger discount your engineering. I for one refuse to buy any car made in china for the mere fact that they are communist and only talk to us because be shell out billions. No one else is looking out for America, the rest of the world is only nice to us when we show them old Ben Franklin, as soon as he goes away so does there "love" for us. I think America is beyond help. Only after the first ICBM (Inter-Continetal Blastic Missle) with a thermo-nuclear warhead also given to the chinese by the clinton admon has taken out a U.S. city or two might people wake up to reality. The rest of the world wants what we have both power and money and being nice to them is not going to make them want it less.

So when I see one of those crap heaps on the road with is inferior steel (you know they aint using high grade steel) roll down the road next to my 1965 Lincoln Continental I'm going to, well lets just say I might need a small buffing on one of the front fenders....

I'm not saying comeptition is not good, but doing buisness with china is just plain stupid. We have plently of competition from all our old war buddies: Korea, Japan, Germany. W

p.s. When is vietnam going to import cars to us?

p.s.s How many car companies can we have in the U.S. before we hit critical mass?

hey dont fool yourself remember way back when everyone was knocking the mexicans.....well i own a ford made in mexico and its tits.....automation can do wonderers so watch out for the chineese cheap labour no rules and exploited tech......were in trouble....and big business loves it.....

First, it is true that you could get a bullet in the head for any infraction the government deems dangerous. I have heard more than once that the government charges the family for the cost of the bullet.

Everyone likes to rag on the Kia, they have a 100,000 mile warranty. Nikki Kruschev,former president of the Soviet Union, once claimed the USSR will hang the U.S. with the rope we sell them.

China just might pull it off. Especially with the help of American multi-national corporation investments.

American corporations have no sense of national pride unless it helps sell their product.

AMERICAN CORPORATIONS?...AMERICANS HAVE NO SENSE OF NATIONAL PRIDE.

hey dont fool yourself remember way back when everyone was knocking the mexicans.....well i own a ford made in mexico and its tits.....automation can do wonderers so watch out for the chineese cheap labour no rules and exploited tech......were in trouble....and big business loves it.....

Yea but at $10,000 a car guess who else will be in trouble as well. TOYOTA, HONDA and all the the rest, not just the big 3. Watching Toyota sweat might be worth all the trouble the Chineese bring.

Yea but at $10,000 a car guess who else will be in trouble as well. TOYOTA, HONDA and all the the rest, not just the big 3. Watching Toyota sweat might be worth all the trouble the Chineese bring.

Watching someone else in the same sinking life boat sweat brings me no comfort.

I read an article years ago about just this situation occurring. This was brought about through greed. Mexico is even worried about China, they also cannot compete with those wages. It was predicted, in the article, that these partnerships with China will give them access to our technology, which they needed, and that there will come a time when they have all they need and will say goodbye to Ford, GM etc, kicking them out. Basically, this is an economic war, which we will ultimately lose due to short-sighted greed. The weapons are money, the battle plan is trade, and we are losing, as reflected in our trade inbalance. The leadership (government, big business) of our forces (middle-class Americans) is willing to sustain heavy losses, anhiliation of our forces, and sacrifice us all in their self-interested battle plans of expanding their empires and accumulating wealth. This war will be lost, here and elsewhere, unless this battle strategy changes...

you know strange you mentioned that..jsut took a 'mini' chopper class from ETAP and it was built in china...anyway it is very CRAPPY quality...had to pretty much rebuild it with other parts!! lol

i dont expect high quality like japan did......the old saying is true ..you get what you pay for!!!

oh yeah the bike was 300$

No one, union members or management took "Made in Japan" products serious years ago. Americans used to laugh and make fund of there quality. And they did build junk. But no one is laughing at Japan products anymore. They were persistant and have taken over the auto industry.

Just give China time and it will be the same thing.

Auto workers need to quit complaining, quit making excuses, go to work, build quality vehicles, quarantee the quality, AND build gas efficient vehicles.

No one, union members or management took "Made in Japan" products serious years ago. Americans used to laugh and make fund of there quality. And they did build junk. But no one is laughing at Japan products anymore. They were persistant and have taken over the auto industry.

Just give China time and it will be the same thing.

Auto workers need to quit complaining, quit making excuses, go to work, build quality vehicles, quarantee the quality, AND build gas efficient vehicles.

you know it doesn't matter if we DO go to ork and DO the best we can..they are STILL going to take the work away and put it in china.......even best case scenario 75$ an hour doesn't equal 3.50$ an hour!!!!!

so either way we are screwed!

Excellent point. Folks consider one of these aren't going to be looking at big3 badged vehicles, probably not even Honda, Toyota or Nissan. They're going to be comparing them with Kia and Hyundai, imho.