My MPG Tracking Blog

nmadole

Updated the blog from yesterdays trip. I had to take a 120 (145ish total miles) mile highway trip two ways so one way I drove exactly 62 MPH and on the return trip I drove 75 MPH. @62MPH I got 37.2 MPG @75 MPH I got 31.5 MPG... I knew there would be a big differance and sure enough it was 6 MPG.. It only worked out to be a differance of about 1 gallon of gas and it saved me about 25 minutes drive time.... So looks like I'll be sticking with 75 MPH on the highway when I go back to my hometown

I have come to the conclusion that a cold Ford Fusion Hybrid might as well not even have an EV mode... if you live in a cold climate, you will NEVER see good gas milage when your vehicle is cold.... I am ok with this, but I would have never thought the effect of a cold engine would be so severe!!! Added some more tips to the blog :)

Still loving the car

Yet another reason to live in California...

SO MANY REASONS NOT TO LIVE IN CALIFORNIA INCLUDING.. (none of the following are Legal in California)

In case your wondering... they're all mine... and I have lots more :)

This...

DSC05039.jpg

or This...

ar_zps5df5d92b.jpg

or This ...

glock_zpsbbc095ec.jpg

and especially this

IMG_0025_zpsb41e71dc.jpg

Yes your not going crazy... that is a custom fitted gun case for a 13 FFH and with a Serbian M70 PAP AK-47, 60 rounds of high power hollowpoint ammo and a Level IIIA Bulletproof Vest (I am not crazy just prepared)

Edited by nmadole
  • Like 1

Yet another reason to live in California...

I agree with that other dude...California blows in so many ways that if it were it's own country, with all entertainment hotspots aside, it would not only be a very costly country to live in, but one so heavily swayed by special interests groups and slowly taxing just about everything they can slowly think of that you would wonder what exactly the place offered for you besides a nice coast line.

Anyhooooo.... Owning a Fusion Hybrid in california does rock...seeing as it boosts the warranty from 8 years/100,000 miles to 10 years/150,000 miles...good place to buy your fusion!

SO MANY REASONS NOT TO LIVE IN CALIFORNIA INCLUDING.. (none of the following are Legal in California)

In case your wondering... they're all mine... and I have lots more :)

This...

DSC05039.jpg

or This...

ar_zps5df5d92b.jpg

or This ...

glock_zpsbbc095ec.jpg

and especially this

IMG_0025_zpsb41e71dc.jpg

Yes your not going crazy... that is a custom fitted gun case for a 13 FFH and with a Serbian M70 PAP AK-47, 60 rounds of high power hollowpoint ammo and a Level IIIA Bulletproof Vest (I am not crazy just prepared)

Trueeeee...none of that is legal in california...then again unlike other states I guess that don't have to worry, they do about what strangers with that much ammunition can do. Nothing like walking into a movie theater with a trunk full of explosives and ammunition and then killing 15 people, including a newborn baby, minutes after the start of "The Dark Knight Rises" ... or attending a Gay Pride event in San Francisco and leaving one dead and two wounded. Seems like people reallyyyyy are standing up for their rights to bear arms in that state.

Edited by DarkeRetribution

That's true of all cars. They use more fuel when the ICE is cold. If you warm up the car and then drive, you will use more fuel than if you get in the car and drive immediately to the same destination. Short, cold, highspeed trips are detrimental to good mileage of all vehicles. The EPA tests are probably done at 60º F. which is a standard temperature in science and engineering. If you had a non-hybrid that got 15 instead of it's normal 18 mpg. on a short cold trip, a 45 mpg. hybrid will get less than 37 mpg.

It is very likely that all this concern is due to cold weather, new hybrid drivers, optional tires and wheels and someone just mentioned a hill assist button. Does the 2013 FFH have one?

I'm not trying to hijack your tracking thread, but I don't post enough for my own blog...

It was pretty warm this morning (40 degrees) and I was able to squeeze out 52.1mpg on my drive to work. It is a little artificial as I stopped at a store about 5 miles from my house which allowed the engine to already be warm for the remaining 31 miles calculated here. Either way, I think it is proof that when the temp outside warms up I will be able to consistently hit 47mpg if not a little higher. I continue to see mpg improve with my hybrid driving improvements as well. I also think my FFH is starting to know my route to work as it felt like I had just a little extra EV juice on a few pieces of prime EV coasting road.

post-48817-0-92959500-1355840090_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Managed to get 52.9 MPG.... but the numbers are decieving... I had to let me car run for ten minutes.. turn off the car and turn in back on/drive

I am not sure how much gas I burned idleing in my drive way

2.jpg

Suggestion- Engine block heater???

Thanks so much for this thread and blog.. I'm learning so much while I wait..

I was actually going to say that, I wonder how much the Hybrids would benifit from having and using a block heater. Sure, you shouldn't have to use one to achieve the numbers, but it could definitely help keep the averages up during the colder months. Mind you, the increased costs of the electricity usage vs the little fuel usage may just balance out anyways. Maybe a timer to warm it up for an hour or so before you're set to head out.

Even my AWD model, which is on the opposite end of the MPG scale for the Fusion, having the car fully warmed up definitely changes the MPG output. I can see how the summer time would be a real plus for all of us. Luckily I have the block heater in mine built in (Canada) so I could utilize it at any time. However, I've always been nervous about using them due to the wattage and electricity costs.

Edited by -Strike-

I was trying to prove a point... the only way I can get the MPG is warming up the car

Your short trip to work is a really bad application for the hybrid. The Energi would be much better for your application. My 17 mile work drive each way gave me 41 mpg after 23 months. My retirement has knocked my frequent trips down to within 6 miles and I'm getting around 38.

TerryBlauser

• Like 1