RTW in Michigan...the labor movement is on life support

tapper

Lets see, the RTW movement in Michigan seems to have won their fight. UAW member, Terry Bowman has given his thumbs up because he thinks he can get a better deal than what the UAW has negotiated.

Well, Mr. Bowman, do you really think that any company is going to negotiate with you, one-on-one? They're not going to get you your own healthcare, vison, dental, pension, 401K, sick days, family days, holidays plan. Go ahead, have a dis-agreement with your boss, lets see who you call as your third party representative as he tosses you out the door. He claims it will help his children, but yet when his kids can only find minimum wage jobs because RTW creates a lot of them, then it will be egg on his face. BTW, minimum wage (or the elimination there of) will be the next attack on workers!

Mr Bowman, if you dont like what the UAW does with your dues dollars, then go to your local and ask for a refund of the portion not directly associated with the collective bargaining process. By law, you are allowed that amount back.

When you retire, refuse that pension check or any retiree healthcare you are due. Hope you saved up enough cash to live during your golden years. The GOP got a guy like you to do their dirty work. You fell for it. In 15 years when you want to retire and nothing is left, the finger will be pointed at you!

more to come,

Tapper

What job do you want them to do? They do what the people want them to do. When only 1% show up at meeting, all is considered happy. When was the last time 99% of you on here did anything to support the Union? Have you volunteered for any of the commitees? Have you ran for election? You all complain complain complain but wont do anything to address your issues or fix them. Singular and personal issues wont be addressed because 99% of the time the fix only benefits the singular issuer.

disgusted with the BON-employee forum........

Tapper

• Like 2

What job do you want them to do? They do what the people want them to do. When only 1% show up at meeting, all is considered happy. When was the last time 99% of you on here did anything to support the Union? Have you volunteered for any of the commitees? Have you ran for election? You all complain complain complain but wont do anything to address your issues or fix them. Singular and personal issues wont be addressed because 99% of the time the fix only benefits the singular issuer.

Tapper

So sad but true Tapper,,,, We are the Union If the 99% of these cry babies did something more than bitch we would have no problems with UAW International or The Company At KCAP problems are not at the Local Level Our Reps do a good job. Just my opinion.

I disagree with you guys.Unless the union sticks up for us the company will do what they want.One example is unequal enforcement of the contract aka,special deals.Heck I cant even get equal pay for equal work compared to other assembly plants.I voice my complaints and sometimes I get a call back and the company can always do that.What do you think I can do on my own without local support?"Be glad you have a job" is what I hear a lot.

Edited by Fatso

He will not get a better deal as the company will only offer him what the rest of the bargaining unit gets. That is they will follow current federal labor law and will not negotiate individually with anyone. It's clear under the National Labor Relations Act how this will work out.

29 USC § 159 - Representatives and elections

(a) Exclusive representatives; employees’ adjustment of grievances directly with employer

Representatives designated or selected for the purposes of collective bargaining by the majority of the employees in a unit appropriate for such purposes, shall be the exclusive representatives of all the employees in such unit for the purposes of collective bargaining in respect to rates of pay, wages, hours of employment, or other conditions of employment: Provided, That any individual employee or a group of employees shall have the right at any time to present grievances to their employer and to have such grievances adjusted, without the intervention of the bargaining representative, as long as the adjustment is not inconsistent with the terms of a collective-bargaining contract or agreement then in effect: Provided further, That the bargaining representative has been given opportunity to be present at such adjustment.

Lets see, the RTW movement in Michigan seems to have won their fight. UAW member, Terry Bowman has given his thumbs up because he thinks he can get a better deal than what the UAW has negotiated.

Well, Mr. Bowman, do you really think that any company is going to negotiate with you, one-on-one? They're not going to get you your own healthcare, vison, dental, pension, 401K, sick days, family days, holidays plan. Go ahead, have a dis-agreement with your boss, lets see who you call as your third party representative as he tosses you out the door. He claims it will help his children, but yet when his kids can only find minimum wage jobs because RTW creates a lot of them, then it will be egg on his face. BTW, minimum wage (or the elimination there of) will be the next attack on workers!

Mr Bowman, if you dont like what the UAW does with your dues dollars, then go to your local and ask for a refund of the portion not directly associated with the collective bargaining process. By law, you are allowed that amount back.

When you retire, refuse that pension check or any retiree healthcare you are due. Hope you saved up enough cash to live during your golden years. The GOP got a guy like you to do their dirty work. You fell for it. In 15 years when you want to retire and nothing is left, the finger will be pointed at you!

more to come,

Tapper

The union does have flaws, I agree, but for the ill-informed like Bowman, his union job is like any- do not take it if you have an issue with the union. If one applies at a joband the demands of the job is that you work holidays and weekends and you do not want to/can't live up to those expectations, you do not take the job! I am sure that Bowman would not earn as much at a non-union employer. It is very naive to rely on the "good nature" of an employer that he or she will provide you job security, fair wages and benefits, and advancement. Under the "employment at will" clause, those things can be taken in a heartbeat. Ask any non-union person who has been laid-off over the past few years how it works.

Edited by Footballfan

What should scare the heck out of everyone, union and nonunion alike, Pro and Anti RTW, is how a POS like Tricky Ricky Snyder can turn on a dime and ram an issue like this through a legislature- a legislature in which several disgruntled members who just lost their seats- within a matter of days with no open meetings, no debate, etc. What else does the "tough turd" have up his sleeve? This issue is so devisive and explosive that there are probably other anti-Michigan bills up his sleeve that will passed with little or no notice over the next 10 days.

The hope that RTW is some sort of panacea for Michigan that will suddenly bring all sorts of jobs from foreign automakers and other manufacturers will be trumped by the lawsuits and potentially explosive conflict that will take place over this issue and be on the news shows on a regular basis.

What about UAW president Bob King?He pushed for a constitutional amendment that he had to know was going to fail.Bob King also 'jack-knifed' on a gentleman`s agreement with Gov.Snyder that said King would not oppose a new bridge to Canada and instead King endorses a proposal banning a new bridge to Canada put forth by the owner of the Ambassador Bridge who is at war with the Governor.So,now Gov.Snyder says,"you want to play politics,I`ll show you politics" and RTW passes.Either Bob King took an underhanded part in passing RTW or he is just grossly incompetent.Okay,democracy has spoken what next?Well hopefully the Republicans are right and RTW attracts more business and jobs to Michigan and a rising tide lifts all boats.The unions still have a right to organize labor they will have to sell the benefits of what they have to offer.As far as Ford\UAW is concerned,does anybody really want to deal with 'management pricks' without a union?I feel the need for a union at Ford and as a matter of fact I wish I had a stronger union!!!

• Like 1

This says it all:

Economic Policy Institute findings:

Despite ambitious claims by proponents, the evidence is overwhelming that:

• Right-to-work laws have not succeeded in boosting employment growth in the states that have adopted them.

• The case of Oklahoma – closest in time to the conditions facing those states now considering such legislation – is particularly discouraging regarding the law’s ability to spur job growth. Since the law passed in 2001, manufacturing employment and relocations into the state reversed their climb and began to fall, precisely the opposite of what right-to-work advocates promised.

• For those states looking beyond traditional or low wage manufacturing jobs – whether to higher-tech manufacturing, to “knowledge” sector jobs, or to service industries dependent on consumer spending in the local economy – there is reason to believe that right-to-work laws may actually harm a state’s economic prospects.

Jeff Hodges

UAW Local 600

Dearborn Stamping / DTP Body

Vice President & Bargaining

Tapper

So sad but true Tapper,,,, We are the Union If the 99% of these cry babies did something more than bitch we would have no problems with UAW International or The Company At KCAP problems are not at the Local Level Our Reps do a good job. Just my opinion.

The union does have flaws, I agree, but for the ill-informed like Bowman, his union job is like any- do not take it if you have an issue with the union. If one applies at a joband the demands of the job is that you work holidays and weekends and you do not want to/can't live up to those expectations, you do not take the job! I am sure that Bowman would not earn as much at a non-union employer. It is very naive to rely on the "good nature" of an employer that he or she will provide you job security, fair wages and benefits, and advancement. Under the "employment at will" clause, those things can be taken in a heartbeat. Ask any non-union person who has been laid-off over the past few years how it works.

#1 I would like the union to get back some of the things all members gave up to make Ford profitable in hard times.

#2 The last time I supported the union was the first of the month when I gave them 2hrs. of my pay.

#3 Do I really need to be on a commitee or run for a union position to get the things I gave up back????

#4 The requests to get some of those benefits back is not complaining....it was made clear by Ford Mtr. Co. that union employee's needed to give those things up to allow them to weather the hard times. It is obvious that the hard times are over. We don't expect everything back, but we have recieved nothing.

#5 When the people ask for some, or even all of the things we gave them, it is not bitching, it is a request to get some of our hard earned benefits back now that Ford is making huge profits again. Yes, I will say it, they owe us some of those benefits....because of what we gave back, it allowed them to get back on thier feet. If it was not for our sacrifice, things would have been much different.

#6 What the membership wants most benefits ALL members

#7 What you call "crybaby bitching" is in reality requests to Ford to honor what they said when they wanted to open our contract to make changes that would help them get through some very tough times.

#8 I agree that the local rep's, for the most part, do a good job. The problem is with national uaw that made all of these consessions law in the last contract negotiation instead of trying to get something back.

#9 When I accepted a position with Ford, I did not have an issue with the union. I was assured that if I worked holiday's and weekends, I would be paid accordingly. Also, I would not be forced to work overtime, holiday's, or weekends. I did not mind giving that up to enable the company I work for to survive, but they are over that hump because of the memberships sacrifice. Instead of kicking us in the nuts by making those sacrifices "the norm", they should give back at least some of the things we gave up.

#10 Just so you know.....I voted NO on the last contract. I agreed with some parts, but disagreed on other parts.

#11 I do not rely on the "good nature" of Ford Motor Company. I did rely on the fact that they would honor contractual obligations and thier promise that our sacrifices would be only temporary.

Edited by RougeWelder
  • Like 1

The IUAW made it clear unionizing transplants was thier top priority during are last contract negotiations. We really didn't matter to them since they already get our 2 hrs. pay each month. Well its been over a year since ratification, how many have been unionized? Ron Middlefinger and Boob King are the 2 biggest idiots to ever run our once great union. With rtw laws now passed in michigan we will now lose more dues paying members, thanks Boob.