Mindless Drabble Thread

DarkeRetribution

I think you should look at my blog...

a.jpgIMAG2515.jpg

Higher braking score doesnt seem to really make all that much differenace

Your average brake score overall on your blog is about 93.5 (closer to 90 than 100). And a higher brake score will give you

higher MPG's. As you get your brake score up and get your EV miles up you will see better mileage. There are a lot of factors that

go in to driving for mileage but in our cars the easiest to control (because of the gauges) are these two. Granted if your driving

75 MPH on a highway there is less you can do to economize. So far in my car I have found the braking to be the easiest to get

good results. Without trying too hard I have been averaging a 98 brake score. I'm not trying to criticize you or your driving style.

I am just trying to help you improve your MPG's (I think that's why you started your blog?). Brake regeneration in our cars is the

most important aspect of charging the batteries. If the batteries don't get recharged you won't be running on EV. The less you

run on EV the lower your MPG will be. You might not notice it as much in your 7 mile drives to work but as the rest of your driving

gets more efficient the braking & EV will become more important.

Edited by scott029

That guy you referenced on fuelly owns a 2013 fusion, a 2013 cmax and a 2013 sante fe.... And has the best MPG on fuelly... Doesn't this seem strange to anyone else???

He has put 6100 miles on three vehicles in 1 month??

Fake profile anyone?

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/kyle2007

That's a fair point there. That is definitely past the norm to have three new vehicles in the garage.

It may not be normal to have 3 new cars, but it could also be his wife and kid use his account to update their mileage usage as well. Or could be a business and they want to keep track of mileage drive/cost. Either way, these vehicles are probably leased, which is why he has 3 brand new cars.

Or he could be lying. LOL.

And if I insist on racing speeding 18 wheelers into traffic, set that batmobile mode, gas mileage be damned ...

I like that idea of batmobile mode! But I do not want to have to push a mode button in an emergency. A car with an automatic should respond to a throttle stomp with full power. Anything else is unsafe.

Of course, the traditionalist would say that this is why sticks keep selling, because they give drivers more control over their cars.

The perfect solution for Fusion Hybrid or Energi, in my view, would be steering wheel paddles connected to the CVT (like on the Mini). I wish Ford offered this option.

(Edit) Ahh, the wonders of Google searching. This idea has already been mentioned, in Automobile magazine's review of the C-Max:

"If we could introduce one improvement, we would add the Crosstrek's CVT paddle shifters and emulate six fixed ratios."

Read more: http://www.automobil.../#ixzz2ExGU7xut

(Edit 2) Doh! Ford does offer paddle shifters on the Fusion, but only with the 2L ICE. I wish they offered this option on the Hybrid and Energi.

Edited by rprobst

I think you should look at my blog...

a.jpgIMAG2515.jpg

Higher braking score doesnt seem to really make all that much differenace

So I know you just got mid 40's on the trip that was preceded by you warming the car up for 10 min right? I assume that the car was shut off after warming up and then restarted for the trip right? If so, did you drive the car as you usually have this entire time? Temperature could be a huge factor with this hybrid system then. It seems to be much more efficient when it is warmed up, and summer mpgs should be much better then I assume.

So I know you just got mid 40's on the trip that was preceded by you warming the car up for 10 min right? I assume that the car was shut off after warming up and then restarted for the trip right? If so, did you drive the car as you usually have this entire time? Temperature could be a huge factor with this hybrid system then. It seems to be much more efficient when it is warmed up, and summer mpgs should be much better then I assume.

Yes the car was shut off and restarted. I drove exactly the same as I usually do. I usually get between 27-35 mpg with the cold car on my way to work... With the car warmed up (waisting gas) it got 46.3 mpg... I will repeat the warm up procedure monday and see if it happened again

• Like 1

Absolutely. Not only on this hybrid. But on any hybrid.

I didn't keep detailed records but there was a 15 mile run I did over the summer to take my kid to a practice, with my '11 FFH.

When it was first thing in the morning (even in the summer), it was in the 31-33 mpg range for the round trip.

Same trip 2 hours later to pick him up (engine still a bit warm), 42-43 mpg.

Several times, consistently.

That was on "city" (more like mostly semi-rural roads, 45 mph max), with about 500ft of elevation gain for the round trip (it's a bit hilly around here).

Edited by Salva

I have been plugging my car (engine heater) in with a timer set to start warming 3 hours before my wife takes it to work.

It has been getting a little better MPG's (on her long 2.4 mile trip) with the EV kicking in a little sooner. The heater also

warms up faster. Is it saving more gas than the cost of the energy to warm the engine? That I have no idea. It would be more

beneficial to someone who has a little longer commute.

Edited by scott029

I have been plugging my car (engine heater) in with a timer set to start warming 3 hours before my wife takes it to work.

It has been getting a little better MPG's (on her long 2.4 mile trip) with the EV kicking in a little sooner. The heater also

warms up faster. Is it saving more gas than the cost of the energy to warm the engine? That I have no idea. It would be more

beneficial to someone who has a little longer commute.

Good question. The heater is not even available in MI, only in the colder states.

Yes the car was shut off and restarted. I drove exactly the same as I usually do. I usually get between 27-35 mpg with the cold car on my way to work... With the car warmed up (waisting gas) it got 46.3 mpg... I will repeat the warm up procedure monday and see if it happened again

Do you keep your car in a garage?

If this is true, I need an iPhone app to open my garage door and activate the remote start while I finish my coffee! ? If I need a warmup to get the advertised gas mileage, make it high tech! I'd have no problem with that.

• Like 1