8. The Kings Ranch does not have saddle leather

7. Roll stability control is not delete-able when ordering

6. Interior head room is less again

5. The v10 is not available on 250/350's

4. The 6 speed auto is weaker than the 5 speed it replaced

3. Manual tranfer case is not available on higher end trucks

2. The diesel engine is not made in the USA

1. Dually fender design

The Torqshift6, by design, is STRONGER than the Torqshift 5. The Torqshift 5 torque limited the engine in diesel applications because the trans couldn't take it. The Torqshift 5 was designated "5R110w" for 5 speed, rear drive, 1,100 lb-ft on the input shaft. The Torqshift 6 is a 6R140. For 6 speed, rear drive, 1400 lb-ft on the input shaft. 300 lb-ft difference on the input shaft. The shift issues that some are experienceing are mostly software and engine power issues, NOT the trans itself. Most people blame the trans when it doesnt shift exactly as they think it should. Several have even had whole new transmissions installed, and still had issues. THATS BECAUSE THEY HAVE AN ENGINE DRIVEABILITY ISSUE. The trans is shifted by the TCM based on calculated load supplied by the PCM. When the PCM outputs a stupid value for load due to an engine parameter being out of whack, the TCM shifts accordingly. I can't count how many times I have seen 'the trans is not right' issues, that turn out to be an engine management or power issue. And I have yet to tear into a 6R140 further than the solenoids or valvebody.

• 2 weeks later...

Top ten chances to regain real truck buyers:

10. Add a real jake brake with significant brake horsepower

9. Add more fuel capacity to short bed crew cabs

8. Improve front suspension wheel travel to more than 2" before the bumpstop

7. Add a factory rear air ride option

6. Redesign the cab sheetmetal

5, Improve rollover crash protection even though its not mandated

4. Raise the front bumper

3. Provide OEM filtration for coolant and external trans filter

2. Add better bed and reverse lighting

1. Challenge the EPA on their basis for requiring diesel particulate filters and urea. And remove these costs from the truck.

Here's my list:

1. You can only delete the carpet on a Fleet order. I use my Super Duty 4X4 in mud and cow pastures and dont' want carpet.

2. The interior looks like a pimp threw up in it. I don't want a bling bling truck, but I do want amenities, i.e. -power rear window, better stereo, sunroof, etc..

3. A buyer used to be able to delete the big 4X4 decals. I don't want showy stuff.

4. I want leather seats without the Lariat bling bling. Yes, I want leather seats and no carpet. It's all about functionality.

5. Get rid of sync, or let me opt out. It is on my F150 and malfunctions way too often, i.e. - unpairs phones, long menu, doesn't recognize commands, etc..

6. I want a better stereo but without the Lariat bling.

7. HID headlights for crying out loud.

8. My other vehicle sprays fluid for a second or two before turning on the wipers. That make's sense.

9. How about giving me ten seconds to buckle my seatbelt before starting the chime. I'm getting to it.

10. I picked up my new 1997 F350, crawled under the dash and disconnected the chime altogether. Can't do it on new vehicle. How about an option here.

Okay, I'm quite happy with the Super Duty and wouldn't have another brand.

Here's my list:

1. You can only delete the carpet on a Fleet order. I use my Super Duty 4X4 in mud and cow pastures and dont' want carpet.

2. The interior looks like a pimp threw up in it. I don't want a bling bling truck, but I do want amenities, i.e. -power rear window, better stereo, sunroof, etc..

3. A buyer used to be able to delete the big 4X4 decals. I don't want showy stuff.

4. I want leather seats without the Lariat bling bling. Yes, I want leather seats and no carpet. It's all about functionality.

5. Get rid of sync, or let me opt out. It is on my F150 and malfunctions way too often, i.e. - unpairs phones, long menu, doesn't recognize commands, etc..

6. I want a better stereo but without the Lariat bling.

7. HID headlights for crying out loud.

8. My other vehicle sprays fluid for a second or two before turning on the wipers. That make's sense.

9. How about giving me ten seconds to buckle my seatbelt before starting the chime. I'm getting to it.

10. I picked up my new 1997 F350, crawled under the dash and disconnected the chime altogether. Can't do it on new vehicle. How about an option here.

Okay, I'm quite happy with the Super Duty and wouldn't have another brand.

1. Get some nice floor mats

2. To each their own. I personally love the interior.

3. Take 'em off. A hair dryer and 10 minutes and they'll be gone.

4. The Lariat isn't really all that "blingy".

5. Don't like it, don't use it. Nobody forces you to pair your phone with it if you don't want to use it.

6. Again, the Lariat isn't really "bling", but you CAN swap in an aftermarket stereo.

7. OK, you got me there, I actually agree with you here. :)

8. Sounds like a good idea, until you get too much water on the windshield and you can't see because the wipers haven't come on yet.

9. Buckle up before you start it. Saves fuel that way. If it is already running, it chimes every x minutes, so there is nothing you can do about it, unless you read number 10.

10. You can turn it off. Read the manual...

I think the biggest problem with the current Super Duty aside from the front end styling (and that's purely subjective, I know) is the front axle and suspension. These trucks have a lot of problems with ball joint and wheel bearing wear, shaft needle bearings running dry, and shimmy. I know it's a controversial topic, but I think it's time for a well engineered, durable IFS with good travel. I know a lot of the issues could be addressed while keeping the SFA, but the shimmy tendency will always be a problem due to the scrub angle. Ford also can't get the ESOF right, and a front axle redesign would be a good opportunity to come up with a new system.

I think the biggest problem with the current Super Duty aside from the front end styling (and that's purely subjective, I know) is the front axle and suspension. These trucks have a lot of problems with ball joint and wheel bearing wear, shaft needle bearings running dry, and shimmy. I know it's a controversial topic, but I think it's time for a well engineered, durable IFS with good travel. I know a lot of the issues could be addressed while keeping the SFA, but the shimmy tendency will always be a problem due to the scrub angle.

If I had to pick one thing I didn't like about my Super Duty, that would be it!

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen the tow ratings of the 2013 Ram 3500HD's? It is going to be tough for Ford to match that capacity with a C-channel frame. I read some time ago Ford uses 36,000 psi steel in the Super Duty chassis, and if that is still true it is another issue. The Ram has a 50,000 psi steel boxed frame, so they not only have an advantage in the design (boxed vs. C-channel) but also in material. The GM HD chassis is even stronger than the Ram (60,000 psi boxed), but their towing capacity isn't as high.

I am confident however the next generation Super Duty will be competitive!

• 2 weeks later...

A semi uses a big c-channel frame, so do most other commercial trucks. Fully boxed frames are good for shorter vehicles, but for long wheelbase trucks I think a good thick c-channel is pretty optimal, it has the right amount of flexiblity over terrain and strength.

IMHO the chevy frame has thin wall thickness and is too tall for decent ground clearance. I do not know much about the new dodge frame other than the trucks are "brand-less" and the 3500 at my previous employer cracked behind the cab when used as a chassis cab with a van body. Ford's payload ratings are conservative in my experience a F-250 Super Duty CC SB can haul 5,000# with enough suspension travel remaining before the bumpstops...the tires would be the weak point of the F250/350 SRW trucks.

Just remember that weight on a semi truck is primarily carried by the trailer structure, not the tractor chassis. And most all van trailers these days don't even have frames!

FWIW, the material thickness of the chassis on the 2011-up GM trucks is .180", and it's 60,000 psi steel.

• 3 weeks later...