Titanium Interior Colors other than Black

Fastronaut

But they already build other models with dune interior so not offering it on Titaniums won't save Ford anything in production or inventory costs. And I wasn't talking about the Titanium Hybrid specifically - I was referring to all Titaniums.

Also one reason they might want to limit hybrid sales in general is lack of components (batteries, ecvts, etc.).

It's a complicated balance between production capability, CAFE compliance and consumer demand.

I don't see how cost from one trim or model can be applied to another.

Nor were my comments inherently limited to hybrid only ... they can be applied across other Ti trim models.

If they wanted to limit sales of hybrid Ti's I think they would have just stuck to their initial plan to not offer it. Viola ... very limited.

I think Ford's approach to Ti trim is similar across all models (black interior etc). I don't think they do this to limit sales of all Ti trim cars.

I think the hybrid Ti and Energi lack of wheel choice is to mitigate the likely mpg hit they fear with folks rolling about with heavier and larger wheels (with more fodder for lawsuits, EPA and CR).

I don't see how cost from one trim or model can be applied to another.

I don't think they do this to limit sales of all Ti trim cars.

I'm saying that limiting Titaniums to black interiors doesn't save any money because they offer Dune on the SE so they have to stock all the various colors. If black was the ONLY color offered then the factory would only have to stock black parts, not black and dune parts.

There is no other reasonable explanation for limiting titanium trims to black. At least none that I've been able to come up with. I've even asked Ford employees and they don't know either.

I'm saying that limiting Titaniums to black interiors doesn't save any money because they offer Dune on the SE so they have to stock all the various colors. If black was the ONLY color offered then the factory would only have to stock black parts, not black and dune parts.

There is no other reasonable explanation for limiting titanium trims to black. At least none that I've been able to come up with. I've even asked Ford employees and they don't know either.

The leather seats on Titaniums are different, so having a Dune option would also mean stocking a set of different seats in addition to those for the SE and Energi.

I wonder if this is an attempt to give the MKZ more differentiation from the Fusion Titanium? MKZ has some very attractive interior options. And there are not as many differences between the Fusion and the MKZ as Lincoln would like. Perhaps Ford agreed to keep Fusion Titaniums without interior color options to leave room for MKZ to shine.

I wonder if this is an attempt to give the MKZ more differentiation from the Fusion Titanium? MKZ has some very attractive interior options. And there are not as many differences between the Fusion and the MKZ as Lincoln would like. Perhaps Ford agreed to keep Fusion Titaniums without interior color options to leave room for MKZ to shine.

But they did the same thing with the Focus and Escape Titaniums which don't have a Lincoln counterpart.

Production simplicity. Likely all that it comes down to.

You guys have to take the Ford rose colored glasses off for once at least. More like cutting factory costs at expense of the customer. Again, only one very dark interior color for all regions is ridiculous. I personally would fire the person who made that decision at weekly big executive meeting. Certainly you are always looking at ways to cut costs and maximize profit margin, but not forcing customers into dark colored interiors only in very hot regions of the United States. Where the hell is common sense. With basically only SE and Titanium trim levels for retail 2013 Fusion, I would suspect Titanium is built in fairly high numbers. If you had SE, SES, SEL, and Titanium, I could see a case for maybe narrowing color choices down more for Titanium. Even then, customer should have choice of dark or pastel interior color. Black doesn't go with every fricking color.

You guys have to take the Ford rose colored glasses off for once at least. More like cutting factory costs at expense of the customer. Again, only one very dark interior color for all regions is ridiculous. I personally would fire the person who made that decision at weekly big executive meeting. Certainly you are always looking at ways to cut costs and maximize profit margin, but not forcing customers into dark colored interiors only in very hot regions of the United States. Where the hell is common sense. With basically only SE and Titanium trim levels for retail 2013 Fusion, I would suspect Titanium is built in fairly high numbers. If you had SE, SES, SEL, and Titanium, I could see a case for maybe narrowing color choices down more for Titanium. Even then, customer should have choice of dark or pastel interior color. Black doesn't go with every fricking color.

1. Where did I say it was a good move? It does make production simpler. Period. That's all I said.

2. It is largely a myth that dark colored interiors get hotter than lighter colored ones.

3. I'm sure glad you aren't running Ford. You would be running it by yourself by now with all the people you've said you would have fired.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 2

The Lincoln MKZ has three interior options for any model. Of course, Ford will likely sell more Fusions than MKZs, so limiting the interior choices in Titaniums does make economic sense for the bottom line. Wouldn't it have been nice if Fusion Titaniums and MKZs shared a common seating selection, with just cosmetic changes for each?

Edited by Fastronaut

1. Where did I say it was a good move? It does make production simpler. Period. That's all I said.

2. It is largely a myth that dark colored interiors get hotter than lighter colored ones.

3. I'm sure glad you aren't running Ford. You would be running it by yourself by now with all the people you've said you would have fired.

Production simpler = factory cost cutting. A myth that dark colors absorb more heat than light colors? Ever sat in an asphalt parking lot in the summer? Gee, I wonder why in warm climate areas you see all houses in pastel colors including their vehicles? Again, common sense would dictate that you offer at least two interior color choices...one dark and one light. I was just looking at 2011 Fusion SEL V6 in candy apple red and light stone interior. It tempted me and I may still trade my Taurus in on one. Black interior, no. Thank god Ford had the sense to offer the Fusion in light stone interior also in previous generation form.

Nick, I can tell you it does make a difference as I lived in Arizona for 15 years. I used to be the fleet vehicle buyer for a major corporation in AZ. I've tested the interior temperatures in cars with the same exterior colors against different interior colors....there is a big difference. The length of interior cool down is significant.

Edited by hermans

Nick, I can tell you it does make a difference as I lived in Arizona for 15 years. I used to be the fleet vehicle buyer for a major corporation in AZ. I've tested the interior temperatures in cars with the same exterior colors against different interior colors....there is a big difference. The length of interior cool down is significant.

VERY SIGNIFICANT:

I used to have black on black Mustang Convertible and summers were brutal to next impossible with this color. Never again.

With my Boxster with light stone interior, I leave it parked many times in summer with top down, and while hot, it's not unbearable like the Mustang was with black interior.

Light stone interior is also light and airy and just gives off aura of coolness on hot day while black you avoid like hot asphalt parking lot.

The Lincoln MKZ has three interior options for any model. Of course, Ford will likely sell more Fusions than MKZs, so limiting the interior choices in Titaniums does make economic sense for the bottom line. Wouldn't it have been nice if Fusion Titaniums and MKZs shared a common seating selection, with just cosmetic changes for each?

imho as price goes up, choices should increase

but

don't agree with Ford & Lincoln sharing anything more than they absolutely have to

esp. upholstery colors which, since the materials are different anyway, there's no benefit at all to offering the exact same colors

imho as price goes up, choices should increase

but

don't agree with Ford & Lincoln sharing anything more than they absolutely have to

esp. upholstery colors which, since the materials are different anyway, there's no benefit at all to offering the exact same colors

Eventually, Lincoln should offer some paint to sample colors with special interior choices that make their vehicle very unique for a price of course. Many luxury makers offer PTS colors during the model run. They really grab your attention as very minimal number are made. I like how Ford offered some very attractive color combinations on the last T-Bird offered.

Production simplicity. Likely all that it comes down to.
Indeed. And the drive for such is reduced cost and perhaps some bizarre Ford Titanium branding.

I just plan on tinting the hell out of my windows and buying a flush Heatshield windshield reflective insert from Canvas Works.

That is if I ever get this car. If I go with the Mazda6 I'll get the almond leather interior.

Edited by Pers69

Then why not put Dune interiors in Energi Titaniums? That would help CAFE.

Because Energis and Hybrids have separate EPA ratings.

If Ford sold too many Titaniums they'd have to use the heavier Titaniums with larger wheels and stickier tires for the EPA tests for ALL regular Fusions.

Because Energis and Hybrids have separate EPA ratings.

If Ford sold too many Titaniums they'd have to use the heavier Titaniums with larger wheels and stickier tires for the EPA tests for ALL regular Fusions.

I think it is possible, but couldn't they rate separately the Titanium Hybrids instead ?

Toyota does exactly that with the Camry Hybrid LE (43/39) vs XLE (40/38)

Production simpler = factory cost cutting. A myth that dark colors absorb more heat than light colors? Ever sat in an asphalt parking lot in the summer? Gee, I wonder why in warm climate areas you see all houses in pastel colors including their vehicles? Again, common sense would dictate that you offer at least two interior color choices...one dark and one light. I was just looking at 2011 Fusion SEL V6 in candy apple red and light stone interior. It tempted me and I may still trade my Taurus in on one. Black interior, no. Thank god Ford had the sense to offer the Fusion in light stone interior also in previous generation form.

Where did I say that it WASN'T cost cutting? You aren't listening. I didn't pass judgment on whether or not it was SMART cost cutting. You did that for me. Thanks.

There are pleeeeeenty of studies debunking this.

Here's one: http://www.tom-morrow-land.com/tests/cartemp/index.htm Average difference between white and black was about 5 degrees, aka not significant.

And more explanation: http://phoenix.about.com/od/car/qt/carcolor.htm

And well...just google it.

A darker color interior will get warmer faster but the peak interior temperatures from sitting in the sun all day won't vary significantly at all.

VERY SIGNIFICANT:

I used to have black on black Mustang Convertible and summers were brutal to next impossible with this color. Never again.

With my Boxster with light stone interior, I leave it parked many times in summer with top down, and while hot, it's not unbearable like the Mustang was with black interior.

Light stone interior is also light and airy and just gives off aura of coolness on hot day while black you avoid like hot asphalt parking lot.

My Mustang is black with a black interior. My old Mazda6 was blue with a tan interior. They both reached the same temperature when sitting in the sun all day: HOT. Research disagrees with you. And the reflective properties of asphalt vs concrete do not translate to the same reasons a car's interior reaches its ambient temperature in the sun.

Edited by NickF1011