Turn by turn directions vs Navigation

jpeter1093

Sync Turn by Turn directions is a subscription based service through Sync services (I believe you get a couple of years free with the purchase of the car). There was a post made a couple of months ago that had a YouTube video showing how this is done. You will need to have a smartphone connected to your car for this to work as it uses your phone data connection. Use the search function on these forms to find that post.

Some people have noted that the speed in getting the turn by turn from sync isn't as fast as using the Navigation option, especially if you miss a turn and need to be re-routed.

Edited by JSKershaw

The system works fairly well. It's basically like printing out a trip from Google Maps or MapQuest for your car. However since the MyFordTouch update the system no longer speaks the directions. Just used it today on a trip and was dissapointed. I had it set for to speak the directions so I'm not sure what's up with that. It doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to get an updated route. Not too bad. If you don't do a lot of traveling it is a good option compated to upgrading to full navigation. Plus smart phones come with turn by turn directions as well.

I was just on the sync my ride site to download the update and read a few posts in the community section and there are a lot of complaints with the new update. I have the turn by turn in the focus now and like it except for the hassle of the it recognizing what I'm saying every once in a while. I'd say it happens 1 out of 6 times. I don't have a smart phone but it is bluetooth. I like it telling me the upcoming turns and distance. So needless to say I'm hesitant to do the upgrade to the 3.5.1. You just have to renew every year whether or not its still in the 3 yrs initially offered.

Edited by camelot

For me, I had to have a nice big nav screen in at least one car, and I love it, it's worth the money. But my android has better image quality (actual sattelite photos) and my garmin has an Australian female giving directions. But neither one is as big as the built-in in the dash, and I don't have to mess around with cables and mounts, and dealing with people breaking in my car and stealing my stuff.

For me, I had to have a nice big nav screen in at least one car, and I love it, it's worth the money. But my android has better image quality (actual sattelite photos) and my garmin has an Australian female giving directions. But neither one is as big as the built-in in the dash, and I don't have to mess around with cables and mounts, and dealing with people breaking in my car and stealing my stuff.

I got the 700 buck nav and I haven't regretted it either. My reasoning was I was already paying a decent amount to have the MFT screen, I might as well get to use it with everything integrated for a little more cost.

Edited by deadman64

The problem I have with using my phone for navigation is that, besides the screen being smaller on the phone, the data service on my phone cuts out if I have a phone call. So no navigation if I am on a phone call.

You just need a better phone/provider :) That said, I'm on T-mobile and my navigation keeps going when I take a call, but I still bought the navigation system.

The problem I have with using my phone for navigation is that, besides the screen being smaller on the phone, the data service on my phone cuts out if I have a phone call. So no navigation if I am on a phone call.

This will happen with all CDMA providers (mainly Verizon and Sprint). GSM carriers will work without any problem (T-Mobile and AT&T).